UKBouldering.com

4 slice toaster knowledge requested (Read 4494 times)

erm, sam

• forum hero
4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 28, 2009, 10:38:22 pm
Right. The time has come in my life when I really do actually need a 4 slice toaster, instead of merely wanting one.
Anyone got any tips?
When the whole family is getting the toast on, we can really get through it, so I need a speedy quality toaster. My home made bread, though delectable, is much moister and more energy absorbing than yer standard slice so Mr toaster has got to blast it. Normally got to put my bread in twice in any normal toaster at full burn before it crisps up, so looking for a much smoother toasting experience.
Knowledge me.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 28, 2009, 10:41:40 pm
God...posting about toasters at half ten on a friday night - I'm fucking rock and roll me.

Weirdly, I noticed in an ad in the paper today that Tescos have got some Russell Hobs chromed out 4 slicer going half price, might be worth a look.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#2 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 29, 2009, 01:47:29 am
Homebase had some cheap (well half price at £29 or something like that) 4 slice toasters when I was in there last week - no idea if they are any good but felt I had to mention it out of a sense of duty etc...

fatkid2000

• junky
#3 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 29, 2009, 08:58:26 am
One of the chaps I lived with at Uni family owns Dualit - the people who make those mega expensive chrome toasters.

Quite a funny marketing story though. When they first decided to try and sell in the likes of John Lewis etc to attract the domestic toaster market they priced themselves slightly more expensive than the standard makes - Russell Hobbs etc. They didn't sell any at all - then they thought fuck it will charge the earth for it & guess what they sold like hot cakes and have done ever since. I was given mine - but they are bloody pricey just to make toast though!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#4 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 29, 2009, 05:50:13 pm
I have a PINK dualit.  (wife's colour scheme.. also includes pink kette & pink fridge  ::) )

looks good, toasts about kinda OK, nothng spesh..

I like those variable width ones..

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 29, 2009, 07:48:27 pm
Quite a funny marketing story though. When they first decided to try and sell in the likes of John Lewis etc to attract the domestic toaster market they priced themselves slightly more expensive than the standard makes - Russell Hobbs etc. They didn't sell any at all - then they thought fuck it will charge the earth for it & guess what they sold like hot cakes and have done ever since. I was given mine - but they are bloody pricey just to make toast though!!

An age-old but interesting phenomenon. When the height of fashion in the late C18th Wedgwood tried dropping his prices and sales fell so he wacked them back up and hey presto. Interpretation? We're all sheep-like fuckwits.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:57:06 pm by andy popp »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 29, 2009, 11:56:57 pm
I've a brace of four year old Indian boys, and an open fire - colonial style.  Toast has never tasted so good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 30, 2009, 09:17:55 am

We got one of these, delonghi metropolis. the retro sci fi look appealed to me and it doesn what you would expect. The matching kettle leaked after 2 years though.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#8 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 30, 2009, 09:55:33 pm
I guess I should just get an open fire and make the kids do their own toast on the end of a birch stick.....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 31, 2009, 08:05:12 am
Unless they have collected the wood themselves, you will be spoiling them with the luxury of warmth at the same time.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 31, 2009, 10:18:45 am
I guess I should just get an open fire and make the kids do their own toast on the end of a birch stick.....

Why not eh?

Pretty soon we'll invent the machine to wipe wash & blow dry our asses, all w/out leaving the bog seat ...

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#11 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 31, 2009, 06:57:52 pm

Why not eh?

Pretty soon we'll invent the machine to wipe wash & blow dry our asses, all w/out leaving the bog seat ...

you mean like this one

CheapyD's Japanese Toilet - ScrewAttack.com's Toilet Tuesday

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 31, 2009, 09:24:57 pm
you really need one with a proper drying action and remote control, like this

webbo

• forum hero
#13 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 31, 2009, 09:43:08 pm
I have a PINK dualit.  (wife's colour scheme.. also includes pink kette & pink fridge  ::) )

looks good, toasts about kinda OK, nothng spesh..

I like those variable width ones..
we have a cream one it matchs the cream kettle.if they did coffee machines,mixers,juicers,washing machines we'd have them as well. :(

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#14 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
August 31, 2009, 10:25:16 pm
your toilet matches your kettle?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#15 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
September 03, 2009, 06:17:57 pm
Get yer self two of these bad boys...

8)

erm, sam

• forum hero
#16 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
September 03, 2009, 10:49:58 pm
Huh? Two of which bad boys?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#17 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
September 04, 2009, 12:01:22 am
Huh? Two of which bad boys?
If you can't see the photos...your missing out.
The clues in the name...
http://www.tefal.co.uk/All+Products/Breakfast/Toasters/Products/Toast+n+Egg/

dave

#18 Re: 4 slice toaster knowledge requested
September 08, 2009, 11:13:19 am
alright bummers, sorry to drag this back onto toasters but our toaster has packed up (trips the circuitbreakers) and was always shit anyway so looking for a new one.

Don't want a 4 seperate slice shit, but one with 2 long slots would be good, and wide enough slots to be able to do crumpets etc without having to get a knife in to retrieve them.

The main criteria is to actually toast properely and evenly. Our old one (some chrome morphy richards thing) looks the bomb but almost doesn't toast one side of the bread at all, so you end up having to flip each slice after half time, which is fucking unacceptable in this day and age. Christ knows what possessed them to manufacture that shit.

Also not expensive. No lifestyle statement ponce shit, just something that works.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal