UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 419170 times)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1600 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 31, 2023, 12:31:15 pm
too many laws/over-regulation, risk aversion and total obsession with ensuring physical safety at any cost with the upshot that innovation in most areas is completely hamstrung and we just generally can't get anything done, especially anything 'real world'. 

Do you have any particular examples where you see this, or is this a general ‘elf and safety gawn mad’ feeling?

Working in the environment sector with cross over into construction design and management, the legislation and regulations we have in place seem very appropriate, and the environmental ones need more resource for enforcement, not less!

Steve R

• forum abuser
#1601 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 31, 2023, 01:31:29 pm
too many laws/over-regulation, risk aversion and total obsession with ensuring physical safety at any cost with the upshot that innovation in most areas is completely hamstrung and we just generally can't get anything done, especially anything 'real world'. 

Do you have any particular examples where you see this, or is this a general ‘elf and safety gawn mad’ feeling?

Working in the environment sector with cross over into construction design and management, the legislation and regulations we have in place seem very appropriate, and the environmental ones need more resource for enforcement, not less!

Well apart from just about anything you'd care to glance at in public sector or infrastructure, two ubiquitous examples would be new houses and cars.  Both compromised in almost every way by a surfeit of regulation as far as I can tell.  Clearly there's a need for environmental constraints and incentives but I'd advocate moving towards a simplest possible bottom up approach with simple relevant enforcement metrics rather than the top down multiple layers of complexity we have.  Most of the latter looks like box ticking, environmental theatre, pointless industry creation rather than doing anything useful from a slightly zoomed out perspective.  We live in a capitalist system, may as well use it.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1602 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 31, 2023, 01:42:05 pm
Be interested to hear what bits of regulations around new houses you think are surplus to requirements, most of it seems to be around where they are built (which I think it appropriate) and then construction standards to make sure they don’t leak or fall down.

Likewise with environmental regulation, not sure what you mean by bottom up, we currently have water companies responsible for controlling their own pollution and that’s going great…

Anyway this is certainly another topic for another thread!

Shout out for Atlanta, last series on Disney now, one of my favourite series of all time, the last two taking a step up from the already great first two.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1603 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 31, 2023, 02:25:48 pm
I've not seen Tokyo Vice yet but enjoyed Giri/Haji a couple of years ago, will look it out.
Just finished Mystery Road: Origin, not without it's longeurs but satisfying all the same. The young Jay Swan going for a PB in laconic at times. Please don't be tempted into watching The Rig though.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1604 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 31, 2023, 05:40:41 pm
Another thumbs up for Mystery Road origin. I thought it was excellent. 

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1605 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 31, 2023, 05:52:18 pm
I rate Goldstone the highest of all the Jay Swan oeuvre, if those who enjoyed Origin haven't seen that. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1606 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 31, 2023, 08:07:43 pm
Yep, that’s the second film right? 5* all the way.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1607 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2023, 05:07:21 pm
Just saw "The Crash Reel" is up on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08yrp4y/crash-reel

Saw it years ago and remember it as being very good, though it brings up the issue of "extreme" athletes being under pressure from sponsors to do ever more risky stunts without really being able to dig into it alongside the individual story it's telling.

Mike Highbury

• addict
#1608 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 05, 2023, 07:10:53 am
Fauda on Netflix, series 4.

And not just for the Zionists who want to practice their Ivrit - it's mostly Arabic, anyway.

Series 3 was so poor, I'd be hard pressed to recall what it was about; but this was far better, dodgy acting excepted.

And, it reminds you how cool it is to smoke.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1609 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 09, 2023, 05:17:38 pm
The book is great Shurt. I think The Offing (another of his great books) has just got a TV commission too.

I'm struggling with this one. Finding the Dulcie character intensely annoying. Imagine it might work better on the TV.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#1610 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 09, 2023, 05:39:22 pm
Got to be some Happy Valley fans here?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1611 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 09, 2023, 05:58:12 pm

Only watched the first season so far, but that was excellent. Not a terribly relaxing thing to watch, but Sarah Lancashire is an amazing actress.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1612 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 09, 2023, 06:06:53 pm

Started S01 last night. I quite liked being able to identify the takeaway in Sowerby Bridge after taking a wrong turn on a loop near me and wondering WTF that hill was.

As it features Hebden Bridge, it's a good excuse to repost this.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1613 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 09, 2023, 06:39:02 pm
My wife grew up in Halifax and spent a lot of time in the other Calderdale towns. She's always described Hebden as where all the, shall we say, narcotics enthusiasts were.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#1614 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 09, 2023, 08:02:58 pm
I don't know the area, but thoroughly enjoyed all three seasons of Happy Valley. And Last Tango in Halifax, for that matter. Seems like anything written by Sally Wainright is to my taste.

By coincidence I just finished reading Benjamin Myers' Under the Rock, which is essentially a love letter to the Calder Valley. Feel like I should pay a visit one day.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1615 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 09, 2023, 08:39:58 pm
Tods worse. Our English teacher (year 7) come out with "you know why they 3 taps in todmorden don't you, hot, cold, and heroin".

As an ex Calderdale resident it was great spotting the sights. Not sure my partner enjoyed me pointing it out all the time though! Really enjoyed the show in general 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1616 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 09, 2023, 10:45:40 pm
The book is great Shurt. I think The Offing (another of his great books) has just got a TV commission too.

I'm struggling with this one. Finding the Dulcie character intensely annoying. Imagine it might work better on the TV.

Turns out it’s a feature film with Helena Bonham Carter playing Dulcie & directed by Jessica Hobbs (The Crown and Broadchurch).  Hope it improves for you though. I loved it.

ali k

• junky
#1617 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 10, 2023, 09:25:32 am
https://twitter.com/KieranCHodgson/status/1623589398422904832?t=eubno6T7JOeH0hacEfWklQ&s=08

Probably best not to watch until you’ve finished the last episode, but I thought this was good.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1618 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 10, 2023, 09:28:50 am
Having never got into Happy Valley the hype has somewhat passed me by - my other half's a big fan (and of all of Sarah Lancashire's other work) and she loved it.

Per Steveri's comment above about The Rig - we watched it, and I wouldn't bother if I were you. Starts well, interesting premise, then kind of loses its way and peters out into a pretty meh end.

I think someone recommended the History of Hip Hop documentary on iPlayer at the moment. Excellent stuff. I'm only on episode 2 but can already highly recommend as well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1619 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 10, 2023, 09:36:17 am
Per Steveri's comment above about The Rig - we watched it, and I wouldn't bother if I were you. Starts well, interesting premise, then kind of loses its way and peters out into a pretty meh end.

We wished we hadn't bothered either.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1620 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2023, 07:35:33 am
The current season of Unforgotten is brilliant, you can watch it all on ITVX. It has a relatively complicated but satisfying plot and is still as good, although obviously different after the death of the lead character in the previous season.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1621 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2023, 09:18:35 am
Mrs. Tone loves Unforgotten, but the ITVX app is terrible on our (LG) TV, glitches and crashes constantly. All the other on-demand apps are fine, so I'm assuming it's the app itself.

We've just finished watching Better, which is an intriguing one. Quite a slow burn, but with some good performances.

Only distraction was getting annoyed at the inconsistencies of where the characters were. In ep.1 there's a bit where she gets into her car by the Corn Exchange in Leeds, makes a phonecall, and then drives off from the Tesco Metro near Park Square!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1622 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2023, 12:24:26 pm
ITVX is the best app they’ve come up with so far, but that isn’t saying much.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1623 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 11, 2023, 07:51:12 am
Mrs. Tone loves Unforgotten, but the ITVX app is terrible on our (LG) TV, glitches and crashes constantly. All the other on-demand apps are fine, so I'm assuming it's the app itself.

We've just finished watching Better, which is an intriguing one. Quite a slow burn, but with some good performances.

Only distraction was getting annoyed at the inconsistencies of where the characters were. In ep.1 there's a bit where she gets into her car by the Corn Exchange in Leeds, makes a phonecall, and then drives off from the Tesco Metro near Park Square!

I haven't had any problems with the app, I just stream it to a Chromecast plugged into a TV from my tablet as my TV is relatively old.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1624 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2023, 08:35:38 pm
This was totally awesome. Please get it watched before its too late!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0133r58/Natural_World_20112012_My_Life_as_a_Turkey_Natural_World_Special/

I've thought of this programme often over the years. I googled it today and found you can watch it on Daily Motion. Still beautiful and brilliant if you missed it first time around.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal