UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 419226 times)

cofe

• forum hero
#1500 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 09, 2022, 11:37:32 am
Don't normally watch much on iPlayer. I hesitated because of the name but gave it a go as I think Connor Swindells is pretty good. Acts with his eyes, bit like Tom Hardy. Enjoyed it, definitely OTT but very funny in places; it could be very marmite.

Thought The English was excellent – beautifully shot with so many wides, and Chaske Spencer was brilliant. So many one-word one-liners.

Now on Tokyo Vice. Very much enjoyed the first episode – very well done. Credits roll: 'Directed by Michael Mann.' Penny drops etc. Shame he only directed the first one.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1501 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 09, 2022, 04:29:12 pm
Just finished watching Andor last night, for some reason I thought it had finished in a weird place after 8 episodes before I realised there were another four!
I think probably the best thing to come out of Star Wars for me, great cast, good through storyline (unlike Mando which is more episodic) and does a great job of capturing the evilness in administration of the empire.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1502 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 09, 2022, 04:36:47 pm
I've watched all the Star Wars series with the kids and they've enjoyed them all, but Andor hasn't gripped them. Might have to go it alone.

I finished Season 3 of American Gods, after 2 good seasons it's degenerated into aimless waffle.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1503 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 09, 2022, 10:12:38 pm
Just finished watching Andor last night, for some reason I thought it had finished in a weird place after 8 episodes before I realised there were another four!
I think probably the best thing to come out of Star Wars for me, great cast, good through storyline (unlike Mando which is more episodic) and does a great job of capturing the evilness in administration of the empire.

Fully agree with this. I'm not a Star Wars fanboi but thought this was really good, far darker than the other series (and decidedly less Disney!).

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1504 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 10, 2022, 09:04:45 am

Fully agree with this. I'm not a Star Wars fanboi but thought this was really good, far darker than the other series (and decidedly less Disney!).

I agree as well, the only watchable content under the Star Wars brand since ... hm... Rogue One? Empire strikes back? (I thought the remake of A New Hope with different cast was OK as well.) I thought Andor was excellent, but I am likely not in the target audience for the usual films and series of the franchise. E.g. I tried to watch Mandalorian but made it to the beginning of the second episode before my eyes started to bleed.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1505 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 10, 2022, 10:01:50 am
Same here, currently really enjoying Andor, whereas Mandalorian bored me shitless. It’s reasonably adult so not surprised kids aren’t enjoying it so much.

Nice list of Andor adjacent movies here:

https://maxread.substack.com/p/eight-movies-to-watch-after-finishing

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1506 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 11, 2022, 02:00:28 pm

Is it just me that reckons this lives up precisely to its utterly wanky title?

I've struggled through the first couple of episodes now and have found it really hard to get into, my main thought being that what the SAS did in Africa in WW2 was so outrageous that it just doesn't need the rock soundtrack, ridiculous over-acting, excessive characterisation and pointlessly verbose scripting. It has the excruciating air of trying too hard to be cool to me.

Thanks for confirming I'm not just being a grumpy old man by expecting WW2 dramas to feature clipped accents, repressed emotions, doubtful sexual politics, and cardboard sets (ideally in glorious black and white). It was all a bit sub-Tarantino: fresh-ish in 2009 now just a bit too knowing.

Period dramas are like SF of course, a mirror to the times they are made, but the biggest anachronism for me is the constant swearing. I knew a few blokes from that era, from my Dad (working class east end; radar operator FAA) to friends/patients (Corpus Christi; Captain, British Indian Army). They never swore.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#1507 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 11, 2022, 02:14:07 pm
Gallows Pole sounds great, was just reading about it online. Amazing story. Filmed in Heptonstall too!!
Interesting aside(maybe) is that I was chatting to another basketball dad during a match last week and asking what he did for a living. Turns out he was a mechanic and part time singer who had just hopefully had his big break through being cast in Gallows Pole after randomly bumping into Shane Meadows. Never acted before but Meadows gave him a main character role nonetheless.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1508 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 11, 2022, 03:49:47 pm

Is it just me that reckons this lives up precisely to its utterly wanky title?

I've struggled through the first couple of episodes now and have found it really hard to get into, my main thought being that what the SAS did in Africa in WW2 was so outrageous that it just doesn't need the rock soundtrack, ridiculous over-acting, excessive characterisation and pointlessly verbose scripting. It has the excruciating air of trying too hard to be cool to me.

Thanks for confirming I'm not just being a grumpy old man by expecting WW2 dramas to feature clipped accents, repressed emotions, doubtful sexual politics, and cardboard sets (ideally in glorious black and white). It was all a bit sub-Tarantino: fresh-ish in 2009 now just a bit too knowing.

Period dramas are like SF of course, a mirror to the times they are made, but the biggest anachronism for me is the constant swearing. I knew a few blokes from that era, from my Dad (working class east end; radar operator FAA) to friends/patients (Corpus Christi; Captain, British Indian Army). They never swore.

Likewise glad it's not just me, although I can't discount that we're not both being grumpy old mannish about it  :-\

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1509 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 17, 2022, 10:23:15 am
Wednesday. Addams Family spin-off with more than a hint of Harry Potter. Hard to avoid if you have a pre-teen or early teen, Camden stall-holders are rejoicing at the prospect of shifting the gallons of black eye-liner previously gathering dust in their lock-ups. Like the early episodes of Stranger Things it almost lives up to the hype, lifted above the average US high school story by a great cast particularly Jenna Ortega. The plot is sketchy and, as always, the monster is a disappointment.

I've only seen the first four Tim Burton directed episodes. Netflix will squeeze it dry and it will be rubbish by series 4 so catch it whilst it's hot.

Ged

• junky
#1510 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 17, 2022, 01:32:21 pm
The walk in on itv. Steven Graham plays and ex national front thug turned anti far right activist. Loosely weaves around some true events. 3 episodes in and I'm gripped!

Bradders

• forum hero
#1511 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 19, 2022, 08:59:15 pm
Thanks for all the Andor recommendations. My wife and I were very much done with all the Star Wars spin offs, but this is easily the best thing they've done since Rogue One and is kind of how I had always thought Star Wars spin offs could be.

On a related note; it's bizarre isn't it that a series of war films are targeted at children...just setting it in space and having the bad guys wear stupid white armour doesn't make it any less of a war film, and therefore surely unsuitable. Fingers crossed the proposed Warhammer 40k initiative doesn't suffer the same fate.

Also re-watched Rogue One, which I think is my favourite of all the films; genuinely can't imagine how it could be any better.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1512 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 19, 2022, 10:06:02 pm
Got rid of the pointless mind reading octopus?

Whitehouse and Mortimer Gone  Fishing Season 4 is as brilliant as all the others, amazed they maintain the standard. Every shot is just stunning, just let the beauty of the countryside wash over you. Looking forward to the Xmas special on Norway.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1513 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 20, 2022, 09:30:48 am

Good shout

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1514 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 20, 2022, 09:33:34 am
I only remember it because it was the first Star Wars film that I took my son to see, and he loved every moment of it, apart from that bit freaked him out.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1515 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 20, 2022, 08:08:54 pm

Whitehouse and Mortimer Gone  Fishing Season 4 is as brilliant as all the others, amazed they maintain the standard. Every shot is just stunning, just let the beauty of the countryside wash over you. Looking forward to the Xmas special on Norway.

Poor Bob is not a well man it seems 🥺

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1516 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 20, 2022, 09:53:01 pm
Bugger, just reading reports.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1517 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 21, 2022, 10:58:25 pm
One of the best things I’ve seen this year from the BBC. A must watch. Brilliant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001g4rn

crzylgs

• stalker
#1518 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 22, 2022, 12:07:55 am
One of the best things I’ve seen this year from the BBC. A must watch. Brilliant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001g4rn

Mark Kermode was raving about this film on an episode of his podcast not that long ago... Didn't realise its on iPlayer. Cheers!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1519 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 22, 2022, 11:01:43 am
I only remember it because it was the first Star Wars film that I took my son to see, and he loved every moment of it, apart from that bit freaked him out.

BHOGHALI!!!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1520 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 22, 2022, 11:21:01 am
Really enjoyed the first three episodes of Snowpiercer on Netflix. Looking forward to getting the rest watched over the Christmas period.

Also, just finished all three seasons of The Orville which, despite having plot holes all over pretty much every episode, was a good family watch (14yo + wife and I).

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1521 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 22, 2022, 12:02:59 pm
Really enjoyed the first three episodes of Snowpiercer on Netflix. Looking forward to getting the rest watched over the Christmas period.

Have you seen the 2013 movie, same name? Recommended. I've also got my eye on Train to Busan.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1522 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 22, 2022, 12:34:53 pm
First one is amazing - been mentioned on here earlier. Second one less so.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1523 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 23, 2022, 11:02:49 am
Quote from: The Riley
Have you seen the 2013 movie, same name?

No but it's on the list!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1524 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 23, 2022, 11:22:29 am
I assumed the series followed on from the movie?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal