UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 419185 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1475 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 02, 2022, 11:14:24 am
Also re: The Peripheral.

I thought it was odd / good that it was only 3 episodes so thought "I'll finish that up tonight" - only to realise that, like Disney+ did with Only Murderers S2, Amazon are drip-feeding them out.

This really gets my goat. I've paid the subscription (and therefore for the content), sure if I want to binge something I should be able to binge it?

I get that there's a potential retention / stopping people cancelling element to this from a business point of view BTW, it just pisses me off.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1476 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 02, 2022, 12:38:24 pm
I get that there's a potential retention / stopping people cancelling element to this from a business point of view BTW, it just pisses me off.

It's to create "occasion television", builds interest and generally only done with shows they think are good. I quite like it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1477 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 02, 2022, 02:42:09 pm
Yeah me too. There was a funny Twitter thread about youngsters liking the “innovative new release format” of TV shows..

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1478 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 02, 2022, 03:25:33 pm
This really gets my goat. I've paid the subscription (and therefore for the content), sure if I want to binge something I should be able to binge it?

You can. You just have to wait till the whole thing is out.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1479 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 02, 2022, 09:24:57 pm
Quote from: lorentz link=topic=12396.msg668371#msg668371 date:1667341643
Zeitgeist in Grimsby:

Wadded you for this. but my autocorrect changed it to Grumble. Frikkin phones! Great little doco on Grimsby scene. Thanks for sharing it. Bleak, but hopeful at the same time.
:thumbsup: Ha! I thought you meant because there were a lot of downbeat stories… I liked it because like you said, it was positivity in adversity. You have a clear idea of where Harris is coming from (and I don’t mean Wilmslow) but he gets the subjects to talk and holds back himself. I like his stuff.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1480 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 02, 2022, 10:12:17 pm
Quote from: lorentz link=topic=12396.msg668371#msg668371 date:1667341643
Zeitgeist in Grimsby:

Wadded you for this. but my autocorrect changed it to Grumble. Frikkin phones! Great little doco on Grimsby scene. Thanks for sharing it. Bleak, but hopeful at the same time.
:thumbsup: Ha! I thought you meant because there were a lot of downbeat stories… I liked it because like you said, it was positivity in adversity. You have a clear idea of where Harris is coming from (and I don’t mean Wilmslow) but he gets the subjects to talk and holds back himself. I like his stuff.

I totally agree. Harris is an excellent journalist,  and very good at talking to people especially in that he's polite and respectful to those who he doesn't agree with,  and allows them to express their opinions.  His presentation of the Guardian politics podcast is good too.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1481 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 03, 2022, 09:43:28 am
Incidentally,  I enjoyed the most recent series of Shetland on iplayer.  Moody but easy watching police procedural drama. Nothing ground breaking but a pleasant,  entertaining few hours of TV. 

Ged

• junky
#1482 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 03, 2022, 05:23:54 pm
Inside Man on iPlayer. David Tenant plays vicar. Some really good characters and a different take on a crime thriller

TobyD

• forum hero
#1483 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 03, 2022, 05:27:37 pm
Inside Man on iPlayer. David Tenant plays vicar. Some really good characters and a different take on a crime thriller

Good to hear someone else liked it too! (see above)

Steve R

• forum abuser
#1484 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 01, 2022, 03:57:55 pm
Anyone still watching The Peripheral?  I fell asleep watching the latest episode last night and will probably call it there.  The series started pretty well but the last 3(?) episodes have been remarkably weak - like an even shitter version of Chris Nolan 'trying to be clever but ultimately lame' garbage.  For people who want to see chloe grace moretz in something done properly, 'Mother/Android' and 'Shadow in the Cloud' are both sublime works.  (they're mentioned in the other ukb thread as they're movies not series)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1485 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 01, 2022, 04:07:17 pm
Still enjoying it, but then I don’t have a problem with Chris Nolan. Thought the Chief Detective was amazing.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1486 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 01, 2022, 05:25:18 pm
We've recently subscribed to Netflix and watched 1899:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9319668/

I thought it was really well filmed with good music but after finishing the series I can't really tell if I enjoyed it (I don't want to go too far here due to spoiler potential). Has anyone else watched it?

I would suggest anyone who's interested switching to the subtitles rather than the dubbed version.

Nat wants to watch Dahmer but I'm not sure...  :sick:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13207736/

crzylgs

• stalker
#1487 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 01, 2022, 10:47:37 pm
We've recently subscribed to Netflix and watched 1899:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9319668/

I thought it was really well filmed with good music but after finishing the series I can't really tell if I enjoyed it (I don't want to go too far here due to spoiler potential). Has anyone else watched it?

I would suggest anyone who's interested switching to the subtitles rather than the dubbed version.

Nat wants to watch Dahmer but I'm not sure...  :sick:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13207736/

I really enjoyed 1899, thought the ending was superb and am excited for where they go with the ideas in season 2+3. As I believe they have been green lit for 3 seasons. Also the creators have history of 3 season length shows with 'Dark' which I really appreciate. Having a plan and structure for 3 seasons right from the beginning and not making it up as you go along or dragging out a 4th, 5th, 6th season simply for the $$$...

Have you watched 'Dark' also on Netflix? It was made by the same people who have gone on to make 1899. Has a similar production values, great use of score and music to set the tone and atmosphere. It'd be a very strong recommend from me. One of my favourite recent shows. It's fully in German and I'd also advise watching with subtitles on although I'm sure dubs are available.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1488 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 02, 2022, 09:53:00 am
Quick shout out for Tokyo Vice on BBC. Bit slow to get going but worth a watch.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#1489 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 02, 2022, 12:31:14 pm
Despite the awful name, which sounds to me like some Bear Grylls wankfest, SAS Rogue Heroes on iplayer is really good.

It's 6 hour-long episodes, and is a drama about the inception of the SAS during WW2 in North Africa by a colourful group of characters. Very funny in parts, with an excellent cast including the headmasters son / bully from Sex Education in the lead role. It's made by the same person who did Peaky Blinders.

I'm not normally one for a soldier drama but thought this was great.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1490 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 02, 2022, 12:58:28 pm
Have you watched 'Dark' also on Netflix? It was made by the same people who have gone on to make 1899. Has a similar production values, great use of score and music to set the tone and atmosphere. It'd be a very strong recommend from me. One of my favourite recent shows. It's fully in German and I'd also advise watching with subtitles on although I'm sure dubs are available.

No, as we only subscribed on a black Friday deal. I'll add it to the list. Thanks.

Despite the awful name, which sounds to me like some Bear Grylls wankfest, SAS Rogue Heroes on iplayer is really good.

Agreed.

IanP

• forum abuser
#1491 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 02, 2022, 02:06:00 pm
Another vote for SAS Rogue Heroes, halfway through and really enjoying it, good story entertainingly told with a bit of the Peaky Blinders feel (when it felt fresh and good!).

Also on the BBC have just finished the English - beautifully filmed if a bit dark and violent at times, great cast and lots of nods to classic westerns.  Quite consciously styled which may not be to everyone's taste but we thought it was great.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1492 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 02, 2022, 02:50:43 pm
Will give the SAS one whirl.

I’m eagerly awaiting The Gallows Pole on BBC. Shane Meadows adaptation of Ben Myers’ brilliant novel about the crag vale coiners. Should be out very soon.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:16:51 pm by Falling Down »

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1493 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 02, 2022, 03:14:59 pm
Gallows Pole sounds great, was just reading about it online. Amazing story. Filmed in Heptonstall too!!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1494 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 02, 2022, 03:18:51 pm
The book is great Shurt. I think The Offing (another of his great books) has just got a TV commission too.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1495 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 02, 2022, 03:58:41 pm
Haven't read that one, and this should be in the books thread really, but I've read Beastings by him which was really good., I loved Gallows Pole, have been recommending it to everyone.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1496 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 02, 2022, 05:20:41 pm
Read the book recently on Jim's recommendation. Psyched for the adaptation, you big fucken cunny thummed arse fuckers, you soppybolickt daft doylem fiddlers of beests.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1497 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 09, 2022, 07:27:18 am
Well worth watching David Baddiel's documentary on All4, Jews don't count. It's thoughtful and well argued.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1498 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 09, 2022, 11:24:01 am

It's 6 hour-long episodes, and is a drama about the inception of the SAS during WW2 in North Africa by a colourful group of characters. Very funny in parts, with an excellent cast including the headmasters son / bully from Sex Education in the lead role. It's made by the same person who did Peaky Blinders.

I'm not normally one for a soldier drama but thought this was great.

Is it just me that reckons this lives up precisely to its utterly wanky title?

I've struggled through the first couple of episodes now and have found it really hard to get into, my main thought being that what the SAS did in Africa in WW2 was so outrageous that it just doesn't need the rock soundtrack, ridiculous over-acting, excessive characterisation and pointlessly verbose scripting. It has the excruciating air of trying too hard to be cool to me.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1499 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 09, 2022, 11:30:57 am
Glad to hear my own instant decision never to watch it when I saw the advert might be justified!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal