UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 419242 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1400 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 28, 2022, 10:23:26 am

Russian Doll on Netflix.

Excellent (well series 1 is - I'm tempted to stop there as series 2 doesn't look as interesting a premise).

Mike Highbury

• addict
#1401 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 28, 2022, 12:55:21 pm

Russian Doll on Netflix.

Excellent (well series 1 is - I'm tempted to stop there as series 2 doesn't look as interesting a premise).

No, it's not, I'm afraid.

But any woman who smokes like that has my attention.

IanP

• forum abuser
#1402 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 28, 2022, 03:36:35 pm
Top Boy Season 2 (or 4 if you include the original C4 seasons) - seems to fly a little bit under the radar compared to some other 'bigger' shows but I think its great. Brilliant characters and interlinked storylines, the middle few episodes have so much tension you feel like you need a lie down in a quiet place at the end!  Holding off on watching the last episode until the weekend so I can enjoy it properly.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1403 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 28, 2022, 04:05:01 pm
That's another one on my "I should really get round to" list - Narcos being another one.

Me and the missus started Top Boy but she wasn't into it so we left it. I'll go back and pick up from Ep.3 or wherever we left off now I've finished with Russian Doll.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1404 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 28, 2022, 09:07:39 pm
Another good’un. “Young Plato charts the dream of a maverick, Elvis-loving school headmaster who determines to transform the fortunes of his pupils in Belfast's Ardoyne by teaching them philosophy”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0016njr

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1405 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 03, 2022, 12:20:14 pm
Jacob Collier. How come I’ve not heard of him before. Best thing I’ve watched this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001717f/imagine-2022-jacob-collier-in-the-room-where-it-happens

tk421a

• addict
#1406 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 03, 2022, 01:49:49 pm
Jacob Collier. How come I’ve not heard of him before. Best thing I’ve watched this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001717f/imagine-2022-jacob-collier-in-the-room-where-it-happens

UK tour starting in the next few weeks. Tickets still available via his website. Saw him in London pre-covid and it was excellent, one of the best I've seen.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1407 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 03, 2022, 05:14:20 pm
Thanks. Just checked and unfortunately I’m away when he’s playing.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1408 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 05, 2022, 12:54:20 pm
Watched the Navalny Storyville the other night on my own, then watched it again with the other half last night. Absolutely amazing. On iPlayer.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#1409 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 20, 2022, 08:09:45 am
Really great bit of slow tv on bbc4, a doc about a farmer on the isle of muck. It’s been on before.

Called the prince of muck

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1410 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 26, 2022, 08:15:41 am
Anyone else underwhelmed by the last series of Peaky Blinders? Was hoping for more to happen.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1411 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 26, 2022, 09:21:39 am
Top Boy Season 2 (or 4 if you include the original C4 seasons) - seems to fly a little bit under the radar compared to some other 'bigger' shows but I think its great. Brilliant characters and interlinked storylines, the middle few episodes have so much tension you feel like you need a lie down in a quiet place at the end!  Holding off on watching the last episode until the weekend so I can enjoy it properly.

I watched the first Netflix season, and agree that it was excellent. It is almost a bit too real, you have to be in the mood for it I think, but if you are up for something pretty hardcore, with exceptionally well drawn and believable characters, this is it. 

Bradders

• forum hero
#1412 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 26, 2022, 11:48:58 am

I watched the first Netflix season, and agree that it was excellent. It is almost a bit too real, you have to be in the mood for it I think, but if you are up for something pretty hardcore, with exceptionally well drawn and believable characters, this is it.

Agree with a lot of those points, it's certainly very well done and pretty hardcore. I'm not sure about believable though! Especially in the latest season I thought I had to suspend my disbelief quite regularly.

Maybe I'm just naively hoping it's not actually realistic.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1413 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 26, 2022, 12:37:50 pm
On the non-fiction side, I'm really enjoying "Art That Made Us":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0bvgvsx/art-that-made-us-series-1-1-lights-in-the-darkness

Told via contemporary artists and performers responding to the art, so you have Michael Sheen (and an electric guitar) doing "Y Gododdin".  :punk:

Also, top-quality discussion of whether "Hwaet" at the start of "Beowulf" can be properly translated as "Bro!".

sdm

• forum abuser
#1414 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 26, 2022, 01:46:33 pm
Anyone else underwhelmed by the last series of Peaky Blinders? Was hoping for more to happen.

Me too, the quality dropped off a lot from the previous series. It felt like the writers didn't have a plan for how to finish it and rushed to an ending to tie things up. All very GoT with the way they had built storylines up only to abandon them or rush them to an unsatisfying conclusion.

The ending left such an impression on me that I couldn't even remember how it finished a few days after watching it. I was thinking of rewatching it to remind myself but then I decided I couldn't be bothered given how disappointed I was the first time around.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1415 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 26, 2022, 02:04:23 pm
I was the same. Usually I give a good programme all my attention, but found myself doomscrolling on my phone as i was getting bored, and can't remember some of the final parts.

And not sure what was the point in adding a "significant" character in the last few episodes..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1416 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 26, 2022, 07:10:47 pm
Prince of Muck - BBC iPlayer.  A lovely little cinematic documentary about Lawrence MacEwen, the elderly owner and laird of the Isle of Muck. Elegiac in tone and beautifully shot. Loved it.

PS - Did anyone else watch the Truffle Hunters that I shared earlier? It’s absolutely brilliant.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1417 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 26, 2022, 07:49:55 pm
Cowboyhat beat you to it. That's two recommendations I can't ignore...

SamT

• forum hero
#1418 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 27, 2022, 01:25:54 pm
. I'm not sure about believable though! Especially in the latest season I thought I had to suspend my disbelief quite regularly.

Maybe I'm just naively hoping it's not actually realistic.

Love Top Boy - watched all 4 seasons.  I've a mate who works for the police in this kind of crime and he loves it.  I seem to get the impression from him that its really not that far from the mark.

My wife can't stand it, but will happily watch Tommy Shelby stab and cut up folks willy nilly.  :shrug:

(If you like this genre and can cope with something even more dark and desperate, then Ill Manors is utterly brilliant.  I also liked the Kidulthood, Adulthood, Brotherhood trilogy).

sheavi

• menacing presence
#1419 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 27, 2022, 03:55:44 pm
Prince of Muck - BBC iPlayer.  A lovely little cinematic documentary about Lawrence MacEwen, the elderly owner and laird of the Isle of Muck. Elegiac in tone and beautifully shot. Loved it.

Thanks really enjoyed Prince of Muck.  Will watch theTruffle Hunters too soon.

PS - Did anyone else watch the Truffle Hunters that I shared earlier? It’s absolutely brilliant.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1420 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 27, 2022, 05:49:29 pm
Although most people, including many critics thought highly of Truffle Hunters, I wasn't that taken with it to be honest. Certainly, some of the cinematography is beautiful, especially the opening shot, but I felt that it really failed to create enough story to give it any narrative drive. For me I thought it was reasonably pleasant wallpaper TV but not really any more. I can see its appeal though, perhaps I was just in the wrong mood.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1421 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 31, 2022, 09:13:30 am
Obi-Wan Kenobi:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8466564/

Two episodes in and I think it's fantastic so far.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1422 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 01, 2022, 10:35:31 am
1 episode in and it looks like developing nicely.

I notice Andor (from Rogue 1) is getting his own series next and then Mandalorian season 3 followed by Ahsoka.

Will every minor character get their own series eventually? Glad about the Ahsoka one as I think she's a great character, but not sure about Andor. I guess it depends where they take it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1423 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 09, 2022, 04:47:27 pm
I thought the BBC1 Grenfell documentary was fairly powerful:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b6q36v

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1424 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 10, 2022, 02:49:30 pm
The Boys Season 3 is coming out in June too.

So far so good, the usual great mix of story, humour and gore.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal