UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 422706 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1350 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 20, 2021, 12:45:42 pm
Stop Making Sense - incredible live film of Talking Heads free on Amazon Prime atm.

I have that on VHS somewhere, if it's the original 80s one..

sheavi

• menacing presence
#1351 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 20, 2021, 06:55:53 pm
Stop Making Sense - incredible live film of Talking Heads free on Amazon Prime atm.

I watched this recently, first time for years, having owned 2-3 VHS copies in the past.  Still mesmerising.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1352 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 20, 2021, 11:03:00 pm
The half half an hour especially is incredible.

Chris, it's the same yes. I first heard the album driving back from the Roaches with you years back! (We had car keys on this occasion thankfully)

grimer

• forum hero
#1353 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 21, 2021, 11:18:02 pm
Hey thanks for putting me onto Stop Making Sense. It’s mesmerising. What he /  they are creating on stage is just incredible.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1354 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 21, 2021, 11:59:25 pm
Some insight here.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/how-david-byrne-helped-to-change-public-perception-of-autism/

Some of your moves in your videos remind me of him shurt!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1355 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 22, 2021, 11:02:32 am
I see "It's A Sin" made number 1 in the Guardian's best TV of the year - reminder to watch it if you haven't, it is brilliant if pretty emotionally brutal.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1356 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 30, 2021, 08:15:54 am
We watched this last night, really engaging and insightful.

https://films.nationalgeographic.com/the-rescue

It's on Disney+

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1357 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2022, 10:08:52 am
Around the world in 80 days: fairly diverting,  pleasant TV, based on episode one. 
As far as I remember,  as I read it some time ago,  it takes some pretty significant liberties with the novel,  but I won't hold that against it. Good enough to keep watching,  I thought. 

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1358 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2022, 02:26:59 pm
Hey thanks for putting me onto Stop Making Sense. It’s mesmerising. What he /  they are creating on stage is just incredible.

They are just such a great band Niall. David B also a really interesting character. Shame they split up. I think they all wanted to carry on apart from him. There are other live bits on YouTube etc. but this film and the album of the same name are the best they ever did imho.

Personally I would aspire to get anywhere close to the dance moves during Life During Wartime. Its next level!!!!

SamT

• forum hero
#1359 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2022, 04:15:34 pm

It's on Disney+

Yeah - watched it last night having missed the cinema showings.  Just incredible.  I find it strange that they didn't mention the 2003 Mexico trip where Rick and Jason were flown out to Mexico to dive out 4 trapped cavers (non divers) from Alpazat.  It was a perfect dry (sic) run. https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?board=24.0

But this was another level and some.

Not a dry eye in the house at ours.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1360 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2022, 04:40:38 pm

It's on Disney+

Yeah - watched it last night having missed the cinema showings.  Just incredible.  I find it strange that they didn't mention the 2003 Mexico trip where Rick and Jason were flown out to Mexico to dive out 4 trapped cavers (non divers) from Alpazat.  It was a perfect dry (sic) run. https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?board=24.0

But this was another level and some.

Not a dry eye in the house at ours.

This looks great, I also got Disney to watch The Beatles thing so will watch before cancelling!

Theres also a great Wondery podcast series called Against The Odds which has a 5 part mini series on this including an interview with Rick Stanton. I really enjoyed it - it's from Feb last year.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1361 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2022, 07:10:19 pm

This is where I fail to contain myself any longer! I saw the Stop Making Sense show live in 1984 and it was amazing, though I'm now not quite sure what I remember from being there and what comes from numerous viewings of the (excellent) film.

Also saw the Remain in Light tour in 1980. This was more memorable in some ways, I made a trip to London specially, it was more conventional but I'd not seen many live shows then, and they were a lot more manic and less controlled.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1362 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2022, 08:24:00 pm

This is where I fail to contain myself any longer! I saw the Stop Making Sense show live in 1984 and it was amazing, though I'm now not quite sure what I remember from being there and what comes from numerous viewings of the (excellent) film.

Also saw the Remain in Light tour in 1980. This was more memorable in some ways, I made a trip to London specially, it was more conventional but I'd not seen many live shows then, and they were a lot more manic and less controlled.

Wow that's a great claim to fame. Please tell me what you were doing in Hollywood in 1983?!!!

I watched the Live in Rome vid a while back and liked it but not as much as SMS. Maybe I'll give it another spin, it's got an almost identical band line up from memory?

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#1363 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2022, 08:25:42 pm
Holy crap Duncan that Love in Italy video was mesmerising. The energy!

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#1364 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 07, 2022, 12:10:33 am
On iplayer. The Tourist. All 6 episodes hammered over two nights.  :popcorn:

Set in Oz. Jamie Dornan from The Fall plays an irishman who gets into a car smash and suffers from a bout of total amnesia.

The plot revolves around him following a series of clues as his own identity & to what the hell is going on and as to why some big scary psycho is trying to kill him. (Said psycho is played by Ólafur Darri Ólafsson who played the big man-bear cop in also excellent Scandi-noir Trapped.)

Man unknown is assisted by a rookie cop and various other people (some will intentioned, some with mixed motives) along the way. Turns into a road trip around the outback. Nicely shot, great cast all round, funny in parts, loads of plot twisting and turning and cliff hangers that leave you thinking "just one more episode..."

Check it out if you want.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1365 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 07, 2022, 08:20:22 am
I'm 2 episodes in and really enjoying it, some fantastic characters especially the rookie cop and fiancé.

ali k

• junky
#1366 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 07, 2022, 08:29:42 am
Yeh just finished The Tourist last night. Thought it was good too.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#1367 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 09, 2022, 05:42:23 pm
Yes enjoyed The Tourist too.  Good setting, quirky and well acted.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1368 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 12, 2022, 12:03:23 pm
One episode into "Welcome to Earth" on Nat Geo / Disney +. Basically Will Smith going round the world, and seeing cool / nature and crazy things (like festival with Mexicans whacking explosives with sledgehammers) and basically being both engaging and amusing. Great for the whole family, I think it's 12+ but not sure why.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1369 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 27, 2022, 07:32:59 am
Trigger Point
Enjoyed this, (first episode)  tense and with some decent performances.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1370 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 27, 2022, 10:54:06 am
Shout outs for some good things I've watched recently:

Around The World in 80 Days (iPlayer) - entertaining, and actually had a few things to say as well, thought it was great
The Responder (iPlayer) - only 3 episodes in but despite being gut-wrechingly tense it's very good
The Puppet Master (Netflix) - true crime thing, won't give too much away but seriously, WTF?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1371 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 27, 2022, 11:23:25 am
Season 4 of Ozark just out.

Still catching up with Season 3, I think it's a great drama with some brilliant characters, but belief needs to be suspended occasionally.

crzylgs

• stalker
#1372 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 27, 2022, 11:46:39 am
Big fan of Ozark, definitely have to suspend your perception of reality at times but still really dig it! The performances of the cast pretty much across the board are absolutely stellar.

I believe this 4th season is already announced to be the last and they have released half the episodes (7 out of 14, when the previous 3 seasons were 10 episodes) now and the other half coming sometime in the hopefully not to distant future... This 'fall' for the American schedule?

The fact that they have lengthened this final season to 14 episodes gives me hopes for all kinds of bonkers shit to go down and for it to not feel too rushed or to end suddenly.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1373 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 27, 2022, 12:10:15 pm
I was hoping I could get resolution by springtime, and not be left hanging!

Looks like they are doing the same with the final season of Better Call Saul.

The Boys Season 3 is coming out in June too.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1374 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 27, 2022, 03:06:02 pm
Ohh, I forgot The Hunt For Bible John (iPlayer) as well - interesting true crime doc, but packs in a fair bit of social history of Glasgow in the 60s as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal