UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 419183 times)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1175 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 09:10:57 am
I'd like to but it's not available on any streaming service I have and I don't want to spend 50 quid on DVDs. Also true of The Sopranos.

Looks like The Wire goes for about £20 and Sopranos £25 on eBay. Just put them back on there for the same price once you’ve watched them.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1176 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 10:37:27 am

I mean - haven't these people ever seen The Wire?

No I haven't! I'd like to but it's not available on any streaming service I have and I don't want to spend 50 quid on DVDs. Also true of The Sopranos.

If you take out a free trial of Now TV its on there, you get a week for free which should be enough to smash through season 1. Ditto the Sopranos and Succession.

This - me and Mrs 3T were considering doing just that for Chernobyl and a couple of others too.

What's the registration / login tied to - an email address? Far be it for me to suggest working round the free trial but could one use multiple emails to get multiple trials?! [I'm guessing they'll pick up IP or something to stop that happening]

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1177 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 10:49:42 am
Yeah, its tied to emails. We have only done it for Succession so far but the plan is to use a different email when we want to watch Season 2. Think it should work fine, its not a hugely sophisticated site!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1178 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 11:02:42 am
You do know in Gmail that "the dots don't matter", right - so johnsmith@gmail.com is the same as john.smith@gmail.com, which is the same as j.ohnsmith@gmail.com - i.e. they all route to johnsmith@gmail.com

Also you can add a plus sign to the initial string, so johnsmith+thewire@gmail.com will also route to that mailbox, as will johnsmith+sopranos@gmail.com

#justsaying

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1179 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 24, 2021, 10:19:31 am
Good knowledge on watching the wire all, cheers.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1180 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 24, 2021, 10:22:47 am
Anyone with a love of sci fi, CGI and a bit of humour, check out Love, Death & Robots on Neflix. All short stories (longest is 15 minutes) and all very different, but the ones I've seen are all great so far.

Definitely not family viewing, swearing, sex and extreme violence in some of them.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80174608

Been watching more, actually, "The Victim" crossed the line for me, just too extreme. Rest are good though.

iain

• forum abuser
#1181 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 24, 2021, 11:10:48 am
No I haven't! I'd like to but it's not available on any streaming service I have and I don't want to spend 50 quid on DVDs. Also true of The Sopranos.
You're still in Sheff Toby?
You'd be welcome to borrow The Sopranos, got the full series box set.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1182 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 24, 2021, 11:57:06 am
You're still in Sheff Toby?
You'd be welcome to borrow The Sopranos, got the full series box set.

Yes, I am and that's be awesome! Can I pick up at some point soon?

iain

• forum abuser
#1183 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 24, 2021, 05:19:16 pm
Yes, I am and that's be awesome! Can I pick up at some point soon?

PM'd you

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1184 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 26, 2021, 09:33:59 am
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/mar/25/black-power-a-british-story-of-resistance-review-a-tortuous-fight-for-justice

This was superb last night and highly recommended. The contrast between two ex Met policeman, one who breaks down in tears as he recalls watching the brutal beating of a black man in a cell and the other, a former Chief Super, who clearly still holds the belief that he did nothing wrong, the police were blameless and in reality, were the real victims, is stark and frankly disturbing given recent events. It made me despair that so little seems to have changed.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1185 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 28, 2021, 08:07:38 am
  Whitechapel
On Netflix. It's an old ITV thing, kind of like Life on Mars meets the League of Gentlemen. Good entertainment, not particularly worthy, but enjoyable.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1186 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 17, 2021, 11:39:04 pm
Radio 4 (BBC sounds)

Recall The Rock.

Just brilliant.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1187 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 18, 2021, 09:08:22 am
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen is now up on iPlayer. Gripping and jaw-dropping.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000v94s/watergate

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#1188 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 18, 2021, 10:49:37 am
I just want to know who H is.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1189 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 18, 2021, 11:36:50 am
I just want to know who H is.

The latest season of Line of Duty is easily the best thing on TV at the moment.  Some critical bleating about believability seems to completely forget that its cop drama, its supposed to be entertaining. 
Realistic would be tedious,  all trying to enforce opaque lockdown regulations,  and dealing with petty criminals and teenage shoplifters. 

battery

• obsessive maniac
#1190 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 18, 2021, 06:46:08 pm
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen is now up on iPlayer. Gripping and jaw-dropping.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000v94s/watergate

Ooo, thanks for this, the whole thing fascinates me so I'll look forward to watching that.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1191 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 18, 2021, 10:23:27 pm
70s paranoia film "All the Presidents Men" may be of interest if you're into Watergate (and assuming you haven't already seen it).
Written by the Washington Post reporters.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#1192 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 18, 2021, 10:30:57 pm
70s paranoia film "All the Presidents Men" may be of interest if you're into Watergate (and assuming you haven't already seen it).
Written by the Washington Post reporters.

I have seen that along with several other films but there's big gaps in my knowledge and reading just doesn't happen for me outside of work so this is perfect, watched most of the first one whilst ironing school uniform tonight!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1193 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 18, 2021, 10:47:04 pm
Radio 4 (BBC sounds)

Recall The Rock.

Just brilliant.
Listened on the way to the crag aptly enough 👍

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1194 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 19, 2021, 08:21:59 am
I have seen that along with several other films but there's big gaps in my knowledge and reading just doesn't happen for me outside of work so this is perfect, watched most of the first one whilst ironing school uniform tonight!

Glad you're enjoying it!

I think they hit a perfect sweet spot in time when almost all the key participants were still alive but it was distant enough that people were willing to talk pretty frankly about what they did (and people had served their prison sentences, etc.). And the running time means they can get into all the interesting side stories and the revealing anecdotes.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1195 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 22, 2021, 07:53:37 am
Criminal UK

On Netflix. Taught drama: 45 minutes basically all happens in one room, hence it's a bit more like watching a play in that sense. I thought it was well worth watching, significantly better than I expected.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1196 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 22, 2021, 11:07:27 am
Watched the Top Gear tribute to Sabine Schmitz a few days ago. I defy anyone to watch her drive and not smile at, and feel a little bit inspired by, the utter joy she seemed to take in it.

Mullett24k

#1197 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 22, 2021, 09:55:06 pm
Really enjoyed 'industry' on iplayer

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1198 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 23, 2021, 10:47:53 am
A shout out for Mindhunter on Netflix, which I am re-watching as Mrs TTT hasn't seen it.

Never realised it's directed by David Fincher. Sadly it's been stalled mid-run and there's no word of whether there will be a series 3.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1199 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 04, 2021, 09:55:18 am
A shout out for Mindhunter on Netflix, which I am re-watching as Mrs TTT hasn't seen it.

Never realised it's directed by David Fincher. Sadly it's been stalled mid-run and there's no word of whether there will be a series 3.

I totally agree,  I think its among the best things I've seen on Netflix,  and underrated.  In a similar vein,  Manhunt: Unabomber is good. 

The following comments contain a partial spoiler if you haven't seen the conclusion of line of duty don't read it!
On a different note,  I thought the end of Line of Dutywas perfect,  the villain is always just a man; it almost reminded me of the usual suspects in that it winds you up to expect the devil and in the end its just a nasty little guy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal