UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 426109 times)

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#900 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 17, 2019, 06:47:11 pm
Anyone with an interest in ecology should check out Unlocking Nature's Secrets: The Serengeti Rules on iplayer:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000b8p4/unlocking-natures-secrets-the-serengeti-rules

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#901 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 21, 2019, 08:08:36 pm
Documentary on Kes, Barry Hines and lots of other stuff.   It’s brilliant.

Greg Davies: Looking for Kes: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000bh0n via @bbciplayer

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#902 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 27, 2019, 10:08:20 am
Documentary on Kes, Barry Hines and lots of other stuff.   It’s brilliant.

Seconded. Just lovely - lots of warm-hearted insight from great people. Plus Vic and Bob flying a kestrel.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#903 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 27, 2019, 10:58:00 am
A new series of Vic & Bob's Big Night Out starts tonight on BBC2... I am almost tempted to avoid as I would prefer not to be disappointed / or have to reassess my teenage memories of the old C4 series.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#904 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 27, 2019, 03:49:46 pm
I’ll watch it.

This is really good and scary
Arena, A British Guide to the End of the World: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000b1gn via @bbciplayer
amazing footage and voiceover.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#905 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 27, 2019, 05:47:03 pm
A new series of Vic & Bob's Big Night Out starts tonight on BBC2... I am almost tempted to avoid as I would prefer not to be disappointed / or have to reassess my teenage memories of the old C4 series.

The previous, fairly recent series had no problems maintaining the old standards. Bit of a tonic compared to must stuff nowadays tbh.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#906 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 27, 2019, 08:19:43 pm

The previous, fairly recent series had no problems maintaining the old standards. Bit of a tonic compared to must stuff nowadays tbh.

Have to pipe up and agree. Watching the last series with my ten year old, with us both howling, strangely poignant and meta as I thought of meeting vic and bob for the first time almost thirty years ago on the telly, sat with my dad, both of us howling.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#907 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 17, 2019, 11:54:19 pm
Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, (and I don't think I have?!) but his dark materials is brilliant. A nice interpretation of the novels. The daemons are particularly effective.

andy popp

• forum hero
#908 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 23, 2019, 05:24:25 pm
Watchmen. Normally I have zero interest in super hero type things, but we watched the first two episodes last night and I thought it was great from the outset. Looking forward to watching some more. No idea if it offends the devotees.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#909 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 23, 2019, 06:12:31 pm
I was dreading His Dark Materials as it would be so easy to fuck up. But, bar some slightly slow pacing in the early episodes, I thought it was a great adaptation. I can imagine it being a bit confusing at first for people who haven't read the books.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#910 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 23, 2019, 06:48:25 pm
I was dreading His Dark Materials as it would be so easy to fuck up. But, bar some slightly slow pacing in the early episodes, I thought it was a great adaptation. I can imagine it being a bit confusing at first for people who haven't read the books.

Admittedly i am a fully paid up fanboy of the books, but I'm halfway through the series and I think it's brilliant. Well worth a look.

TobyD

• forum hero
#911 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 23, 2019, 11:18:08 pm

Admittedly i am a fully paid up fanboy of the books, but I'm halfway through the series and I think it's brilliant. Well worth a look.

I totally agree. Watched all of them so far, I think they get better. I like the way the magisterium forces have obvious fascistic overtones but without being too explicit or intruding into the narrative. In parts it comes across as a bit man in the high castle, and I mean this in a good way.

crzylgs

• stalker
#912 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 24, 2019, 12:00:44 am
Watchmen. Normally I have zero interest in super hero type things, but we watched the first two episodes last night and I thought it was great from the outset. Looking forward to watching some more. No idea if it offends the devotees.

I've heard it gets even better!

Now that I've sent The Expanse Season 4 I think I'll move on to Watchmen.

TobyD

• forum hero
#913 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2020, 10:43:06 am
the spy on the basis of episode one,  I don't think I'll bother with any more of it,  I found it pretty dreary and incoherent.  SBC was reasonably good in the main role, but really didn't save it. Unless anyone has watched it all and can shoot me down from a better informed perspective?

UnkArl

• player
#914 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2020, 11:37:25 am
I only got one-and-a-bit episodes into The Spy too...

Ged

• junky
#915 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2020, 07:17:46 pm
A bit late to the party, but I finally got into peaky blinders this holiday whilst convalescing on the sofa. Series 1 and 2 blew me away. Less so series 3. I miss the real Arthur and the grime of Birmingham. Does it pick up again in season 4 and 5?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#916 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2020, 08:35:57 pm
A really inspiring and life affirming documentary about Colin Macleod, Gal Gael and the Pollok Free State.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000ct1t/birdman-of-pollokcuraidh-na-coille

IanP

• forum abuser
#917 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2020, 09:03:22 pm
A bit late to the party, but I finally got into peaky blinders this holiday whilst convalescing on the sofa. Series 1 and 2 blew me away. Less so series 3. I miss the real Arthur and the grime of Birmingham. Does it pick up again in season 4 and 5?

Thought 4 was a definite pick up in quality, ott (unsuprisingly!) but great fun, not quite so sure about 5 unfortunately, but still worth watching if you like the style.  Series 2 still the high point imo.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#918 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 10, 2020, 11:05:57 am
Did anybody see Dracula on the BBC over the New Year period? 3 parts - each about an hour and a half. First one was honestly some of the best telly I've seen in ages. Second episode decent - not dissimilar from a long episode of Inside No 9. Third episode spoiled it by trying to be Sherlock.

You could quite happily watch the first two and pretend that the third didn't exist.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#919 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 10, 2020, 11:27:39 am
Did anybody see Dracula on the BBC over the New Year period? 3 parts - each about an hour and a half. First one was honestly some of the best telly I've seen in ages. Second episode decent - not dissimilar from a long episode of Inside No 9. Third episode spoiled it by trying to be Sherlock.

You could quite happily watch the first two and pretend that the third didn't exist.
Similarly I really enjoyed the first two episodes and thought that the third was a bit of a dud - seemed a bit unnecessary and the jump in setting a bit gimmicky. Sister Agatha was a great character with some cracking lines.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#920 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 10, 2020, 09:10:44 pm
Tracey Edward's story as skipper of the first all female crew in the Whitbread round the world race
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b8nd

galpinos

• forum hero
#921 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 16, 2020, 11:18:45 am
I am very much enjoying The Trial of Christine Keeler. Though I have a slight issue with the casting* it's great to see the story from her perspective. To see these young girls in that environment, not shown as wanton/whores/all the other terms used by the press but young, naive, fun loving etc is a breath of fresh air. Also, the added "taint" on the protagonist for having balck partners is also laid bare. Really well made imo

*Sophie Cookson is 29, James Norton is 34. I know they have tried to age Norton but Keeler was 17 and Ward was 50 when they met. I think it undermines the mismatch of power and experience that was obviulsy present. John Profumo was 47 and they have cast Ben Miles so that fits and looks "right".

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#922 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 16, 2020, 11:33:26 am
I am very much enjoying The Trial of Christine Keeler. Though I have a slight issue with the casting* it's great to see the story from her perspective. To see these young girls in that environment, not shown as wanton/whores/all the other terms used by the press but young, naive, fun loving etc is a breath of fresh air. Also, the added "taint" on the protagonist for having balck partners is also laid bare. Really well made imo

*Sophie Cookson is 29, James Norton is 34. I know they have tried to age Norton but Keeler was 17 and Ward was 50 when they met. I think it undermines the mismatch of power and experience that was obviulsy present. John Profumo was 47 and they have cast Ben Miles so that fits and looks "right".

Thats really interesting. I watched the first episode and thought it was utter dross and couldn't fathom all the good reviews it was getting. Maybe I am missing something; I thought the acting was poor and the scriptwriting even worse. But only judging from one episode as I couldn't face another, so maybe its worth another look.

galpinos

• forum hero
#923 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 16, 2020, 01:44:16 pm
Thats really interesting. I watched the first episode and thought it was utter dross and couldn't fathom all the good reviews it was getting. Maybe I am missing something; I thought the acting was poor and the scriptwriting even worse. But only judging from one episode as I couldn't face another, so maybe its worth another look.

I was drawn in by the first episode as i really enjoyed it so, if you didn't like it Ep 1, I'm not confident it will improve for you.....

(It's not quite as good as A Very English Scandal but along the same lines)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:51:19 pm by galpinos »

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#924 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 16, 2020, 02:07:39 pm
Yes I agree with the comparison with AVES. Goes to show how subjective taste is doesn't it!

This has probably been mentioned on the thread before, but Tell Me Who I Am on Netflix was riveting throughout.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal