UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 425338 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#700 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2018, 09:48:42 am
Good in our time
Also, I'm sure everyone else saw it years ago but breaking bad on Netflix is amazing.

I was late to the Breaking Bad party (not quite as late as you  ;)  )

I’ve watched the entire thing 4 times. Amazing!

Isn't it just. I didn't have a TV for about ten years, so there's quite a lot I haven't seen!

TobyD

• forum hero
#701 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2018, 09:51:56 am
W has discovered Melvyn and In Our Time in the last couple of weeks through her studies and is now completely in love with him and the programme. 

She was studying 18th C industrial history and stumbled across the archive - it’s searchable by subject and date.  A valuable resource...

It's brilliant isn't it. I quite often download an episode to listen to on long car journeys. Also on the BBC I player, I quite like Nick Robinson's weekly political thinking podcast, and more or less, although this seems not quite as entertaining as it used to be, somehow.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#702 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2018, 10:44:36 am
W has discovered Melvyn and In Our Time in the last couple of weeks through her studies and is now completely in love with him and the programme. 

She was studying 18th C industrial history and stumbled across the archive - it’s searchable by subject and date.  A valuable resource...

It's brilliant isn't it. I quite often download an episode to listen to on long car journeys. Also on the BBC I player, I quite like Nick Robinson's weekly political thinking podcast, and more or less, although this seems not quite as entertaining as it used to be, somehow.

We are massive IOT fans. I don’t think I’ve ever been more proud than when, during the Extremophiles episode, my daughter (then two-years-old) shouted at the top of her voice HYDROTHERMAL VENTS. (This will make total sense to parents of Octonauts fans.) I’m supposed to meeting up sometime with the astrobiologist from that one.

I particularly enjoy the episodes when Melvyn starts to really struggle. P vs NP, Relativity, etc.

Caitlin Moran wrote an essay about listening to one every day for a year.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#703 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2018, 08:07:28 pm
Good in our time
Also, I'm sure everyone else saw it years ago but breaking bad on Netflix is amazing.

Really? BB was good but I was sick of it at the very end and just glad that it had finished so I didn't have to watch it any more

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#704 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2018, 08:58:01 pm
Good in our time

Really? BB was good but I was sick of it at the very end and just glad that it had finished so I didn't have to watch it any more
You’re talking about the walking dead, aren’t you?

TobyD

• forum hero
#705 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2018, 10:46:24 pm
Good in our time

You’re talking about the walking dead, aren’t you?

?? Just finished season 2 of BB; I can't believe I'm going to get sick of it... I'll struggle to make myself watch anything else before I embark on season 3.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#706 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2018, 11:11:19 pm
?? Just finished season 2 of BB; I can't believe I'm going to get sick of it... I'll struggle to make myself watch anything else before I embark on season 3.

and, it gets better.....(magnets, bitch!). The first 4 seasons of the Wire (and maybe The Shield, if only for the final operatic episodes) are possibly better but Breaking Bad is close in my Pantheon of godly TV. 

Breaking Bad is the series that most subverted my initial impressions.  At first I thought it was a cliched fish-out-of-water "dramady": uptight nerd meets druggie, watch how sparks fly!  But, it rapidly defied my expectations, with Jesse transitioning from comic relief stoner to moral centre, and Walter White becoming increasingly unsympathetic (from "cancer victim" to "Heisenberg").  Plus, it takes a series with great writing to get better with more constricted scenarios and less resources, but Breaking Bad managed it: witness "bottle" episodes like "The Fly".

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#707 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2018, 11:14:15 pm
I can’t remember how far I got before giving up. It became impossible to suspend my disbelief that no one had shot WW in the face yet.

tomtom

• forum hero
#708 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 05, 2018, 10:05:13 am
I can’t remember how far I got before giving up. It became impossible to suspend my disbelief that no one had shot WW in the face yet.

Suspending disbelief is far easier in a Brexit/Trump world...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#709 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 10, 2018, 09:30:02 am
This may be useful if others are like me and find the Netflix browse feature pretty useless.
https://netflixcodes.me
 :popcorn:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#710 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 10, 2018, 10:13:33 am
I've watched Godless on Netflix and have really enjoyed it. I do have a weakness in this regard: if it's got horses, canyons, sprawling plains, drawling desperados, corseted belles and repeating rifles then it's likely that I'll watch it, regardless of whether it's dross or not.

Plenty of clichés, but plenty of fast drawing pistol excitement which helps it along greatly. Best of all, it's a 1 series six partner, so the characters and story actually develop at a non-glacial pace.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#711 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 10, 2018, 10:33:50 am
With these criteria Will I hope you’ve watched the Westworld series, it’s really really good.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#712 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 10, 2018, 08:14:21 pm
With these criteria Will I hope you’ve watched the Westworld series, it’s really really good.

Looks like it's only on Sky. Disaster.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#713 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 10, 2018, 08:28:11 pm
If you don’t have an ideological standpoint against Sky, you can get their internet player thing free for a month and just smash through everything you want to watch.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#714 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 02, 2018, 09:12:42 pm
Tones, drones, and  arpeggios: the magic of minimalism.

On BBC4 right now but I expect it will be repeated.

(Or on iPlayer)

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#715 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 02, 2018, 10:34:53 pm
Tones, drones, and  arpeggios: the magic of minimalism.

On BBC4 right now but I expect it will be repeated.

(Or on iPlayer)

Nice tip.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#716 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 06, 2018, 10:57:49 am
Civilisations on the iPlayer. In the first episode, Simon Schama takes us on a tour of the beginnings of ancient art. Well worth a watch.
The only fault I can find is that I can't really see where the line between fact and speculation are drawn. Schama seems to get romantically drawn into the possible explanations for various ancient practices which one can only surmise are based on a certain amount of educated guesswork.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#717 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 09, 2018, 10:05:37 am
Good In Our Time this week about the Highland clearances.

remus

• forum hero
#718 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2018, 01:26:21 pm
Just polished of Altered Carbon (on netflix i think?) Very enjoyable SciFi series. Got a little lost in the middle but pulls it all together nicely in the end. It's based on a novel, though I haven't read it so not sure how it compares.

tomtom

• forum hero
#719 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2018, 05:31:50 pm
Just polished of Altered Carbon (on netflix i think?) Very enjoyable SciFi series. Got a little lost in the middle but pulls it all together nicely in the end. It's based on a novel, though I haven't read it so not sure how it compares.

We’re in the middle so good to hear it perks up. Decent so far.

Evil

• addict
#720 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2018, 10:29:39 am
Having read it, I felt like the first half of the series was really good, but as it started to deviate from the book, it lost it's way a bit. I don't really want to give spoilers, but some of the changes they made changed the backstory quite a lot, and I preferred the book version. I did like the change to the hotel though. Overall I really enjoyed it, and realise that TV and book things are never going to be exactly the same. I recommend the author, all his stuff is good.

andy popp

• forum hero
#721 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 13, 2018, 09:19:53 pm
So, I think this is available in the UK; new Netflix documentary series called "Flint Town," about the police department in Flint Michigan, which, for those not in the know, is the ultimate in rust belt decline. We watched three episodes last night: compelling, gruelling (they do not flinch from showing random murder victims lying where they've fallen in the street), but also this incredible cinematic aesthetic.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#722 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 14, 2018, 10:17:50 am
New series of Electric Dreams any good? Not managed to see any yet.

galpinos

• forum hero
#723 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 14, 2018, 03:19:53 pm

We’re in the middle so good to hear it perks up. Decent so far.

Don't get too excited. Big ideas and looks lovely but only skims the surface in lieu of naked sword fights and gratuitous violence. Seemed a panic to tie all the loose ends back together at the end from the multitude of storylines/paths that had developed by the middle. 6/10 (for reference, the most recent Black Mirror series was a 6.5/10 on the galpinos scale)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#724 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 19, 2018, 10:28:40 am

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal