UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 425491 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1750 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2024, 09:19:47 am
I have never remotely understood the attraction of Gone Fishing. I have tried but I just don't get it.

It's not complicated; two of my favourite comedians, having a laugh and enjoying being together in beautiful places doing something they love.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1751 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2024, 09:27:17 am
Detectorists is absolutely top notch (slightly awkward blokes with an odd obsession anyone?). Coincidently watched 'Beast' at the weekend with Johnny Flynn (Detectorists theme tune).

So did we! Great film. On All4.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1752 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2024, 09:58:58 am
We love the Detectorists. Have watched it a few times over the years as comfort telly.

This Country is also amazing. Much funnier than Detectorists (IMO) but a different vibe.

stone

• forum abuser
#1753 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2024, 08:37:53 pm
We've just seen the first two episodes of The Detectorists on BBC iPlayer.

Thanks everyone for the recommendation!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1754 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 13, 2024, 09:23:22 am
Reformatting...

Few I've watched recently:

True Detective: Night Country (Sky / Now TV)

Better than all the other "not S1" True Detective series, but not amazing either.Builds nicely but kind of peters out in the final act, and the dénouement is a bit weird, and leave a few strange plot holes.

The Gentlemen (Netflix)

Spinoff of the Guy Richie film (which I rather enjoyed). Gather he's involved in some fashion.Enjoyable if you accept it for what it is - you're going to get cartoon caricatures of Scouse gangsters, pwopa nawty geezers etc.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1755 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 13, 2024, 05:36:43 pm
All the Light we Cannot See

A Netflix adaptation of the novel (which I haven't read, though I heard it's quite good). I really enjoyed this four part adaptation, it has some decent acting - although some pretty cartoonish bad guys - overall pretty entertaining and not too serious.

Ged

• junky
#1756 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 13, 2024, 08:29:02 pm
All the Light we Cannot See

A Netflix adaptation of the novel (which I haven't read, though I heard it's quite good). I really enjoyed this four part adaptation, it has some decent acting - although some pretty cartoonish bad guys - overall pretty entertaining and not too serious.

Agree.  This was really good.

webbo

• forum hero
#1757 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 13, 2024, 09:45:04 pm
Bill Bailey Pub walks. Similar to Gone Fishing with Mortimer and Whitehouse basically two blokes talking about life.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1758 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 14, 2024, 07:34:00 am
True Detective: Night Country (Sky / Now TV)

Better than all the other "not S1" True Detective series, but not amazing either.Builds nicely but kind of peters out in the final act, and the dénouement is a bit weird, and leave a few strange plot holes.

Useful beta as I've just tried S01 as the night country trailer made the series look interesting. I can't say I'm enjoying it.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1759 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 14, 2024, 08:57:16 am
You're not enjoying season 1?! One of the best standalone series of TV ever made!

The Chinook thing OMM mentioned is excellent. Knew nothing about that particular coverup.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 09:04:36 am by spidermonkey09 »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1760 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 14, 2024, 08:12:24 pm
Second vote on OMM’s Chinook disaster two parter. Good quality documentary making and yeah, bastards!

SamT

• forum hero
#1761 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 24, 2024, 10:36:47 pm
Nordfar Sola is on Netflix at the moment. Amazing. One for the sufferers... I mean surfers.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1762 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 08, 2024, 11:33:14 am
Enjoying Ripley at the moment. Slow paced neo-noir with some lovely shots. Low on dialogue. Elliot Sumner is a delightful self-assured posho of the sort I came across living in Oxford for a year.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1763 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 08, 2024, 12:27:02 pm
I wasn't sure why this needed a remake, because the 1999 film is so good and looks as good as new now. But having watched 7 episodes of it so far, I think it's wonderful.

It feels a little more like the book than the film did, because it includes more of the start of the story, i.e. Tom Ripley as a moderately successful but still struggling con man in New York, living in a little dingy room, who's suddenly offered the chance to escape on an adventure.

Various people have criticised the B&W, but I think it helps. The cinematography and the attention to detail in the sets, and the lingering shots on those details, etc are pretty unusual (unusually good) for a big budget Netflix type thing.

Eliot Sumner is pretty good, though it's hard to forget how deliciously unlikeable Philip Seymour Hoffman was in the film. Johnny Flynn is also much better than I expected.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1764 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 08, 2024, 02:39:46 pm
True Detective S1 is a slow burner but worth it for the final couple of episodes. Season 2 is better than both 1 and 4 and haven't watched 3 yet!

Absolutely loved 3 Body Problem on Netflix over the Easter hols! Recommended...

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1765 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 15, 2024, 08:08:47 am
I think Griselda on netflix is a decent short series, as long as you have a reasonable tolerance for a seriously vast amount of violence and drugs. The story arc of the drug lord is pretty familiar but it's stylishly done. It does get a bit over the top in places but given the subject matter it's not ridiculously so.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1767 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 17, 2024, 12:07:01 am
Fall Theory, Al Lee’s film about Franco Cookson, narrated by this forum’s own Wil Treasure, is on Amazon Prime now apparently.

csl

• junky
#1768 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 17, 2024, 06:59:21 am
Yep it is! I watched it last night, there is also more from Britrock 3: Great Sheikhs, Skerag Solo. And Ephemeral from the latest collection. Would really recommend the last one, it's almost enough to make you want to go winter climbing.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#1769 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 17, 2024, 09:24:54 am
Ephemeral really is outstanding even as a non winter climber

Dac

• player
#1770 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 17, 2024, 10:50:08 am
Watched most of Britrock 3 last night (haven’t watched Kjerag solo yet). I really enjoyed Fall theory, but have to admit that I found both the Great Sheikhs and Lexicon films a bit underwhelming.

I’m not entirely sure why this was, I suspect that to a considerable extent it was because we are now spoiled for readily accessible climbing footage online; it’s a long time since obsessively rewatching a VHS recording of the Equinox episode ‘Fear of Falling’ (its climbing! on the telly!). I also think both films were a bit ‘by the numbers’, you knew what you were getting, there were no real surprises, and no particular insights. Lexicon was particularly bad for this: climber tells us about his climbing career, footage of climber training at home, climber tells us about route, footage of climber working route etc etc.

Fall Theory however was very enjoyable, the characters and locations come across far better, although I have to say maidens bluff doesn’t look like a crag I’ve any desire to visit (it barely looks like a crag).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1771 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 17, 2024, 12:09:43 pm
I was also underwhelmed, but actually liked Lexicon more than Sheiks. The place and climbing looks amazing in Sheiks, but the whole "playing to camera" and forced dialogue felt totally unnatural.

Dac

• player
#1772 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 17, 2024, 01:00:22 pm
I agree about the playing to camera in Sheikhs, I thought it was just a personal annoyance of mine, but I did seem quite bad for it. Also I am aware that there are certain conventions in TV filming that your are just supposed to accept ( for example the tv presenter comes to the house, the people act like it’s a completely unexpected visit, but the film crew is already inside), but the amount of time spent informing us that they were ground up new routing vs the number of camera shots films from above the lead climber seemed to annoy (I am aware they would have re-led the occasional section after the cameraman had jumared into position, but it still came across as a bit contrived).

My issues with Lexicon were mainly about the way the film was arranged, rather than the subject or content itself.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1773 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 17, 2024, 06:58:22 pm
I thought this was fascinating and really good.  Secret Army. About a long-lost documentary film on the IRA with some interesting speculation around the man and team who made the film.  I’ll say no more but it’s well worth watching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001xrx9

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1774 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 17, 2024, 10:02:25 pm
Wanna see a car crash?  Liz Truss being interviewed by Chris Mason. It’s excruciatingly entertaining :popcorn: if it wasn’t so serious  :blink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001yrtr

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal