UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 423677 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#1625 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 17, 2023, 09:31:43 pm
This was totally awesome. Please get it watched before its too late!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0133r58/Natural_World_20112012_My_Life_as_a_Turkey_Natural_World_Special/

I've thought of this programme often over the years. I googled it today and found you can watch it on Daily Motion. Still beautiful and brilliant if you missed it first time around.

Thanks Will, loved that. Beautiful film.

On a similar theme, Wildcat was released on Prime earlier this year. An intimate documentary, uplifting and sad in equal measures.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1626 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 18, 2023, 04:31:11 pm
Finished The Last of Us last week. Proper gut punch final episode, I hadn't played the game so it was largely a surprise, although I had an inkling. Thought the whole series was brilliant, looking forward to series 2 next year. Episode 3, Long Long Time, was up there with the best hours of television I have ever seen.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1627 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 18, 2023, 05:30:39 pm
Finished The Last of Us last week. Proper gut punch final episode, I hadn't played the game so it was largely a surprise, although I had an inkling. Thought the whole series was brilliant, looking forward to series 2 next year. Episode 3, Long Long Time, was up there with the best hours of television I have ever seen.

Glad you enjoyed it. Being a massive fan of the game I have to say I was a bit disappointed with it overall; felt to me like they didn't strike quite the right balance between the story/character development etc. and action. There just weren't enough interactions with the infected! And when they did happen they were all too brief, and [spoiler]

NSFW  :
they've made a rod for their own backs because the infected are simply too powerful! I went back through and in every single encounter with an infected at least one person gets bitten, which is a bit mad in the context of the game where you mince through loads of them. Without spoiling things too much for future series, it will make it difficult for the events covered in Part II, particularly in terms of the landscape they have to navigate.

I was expecting something more balanced, especially given that the infected in The Last of Us are SO much more than your average zombies, and the game is genuinely terrifying where the show just isn't. My hope was for something more like a longer form A Quiet Place, and it's sadly nowhere near.

Anyway I was very happy with it up to the end of episode 5, but the remainder didn't hit the mark for me. Probably doesn't help that I've played the game several times so know the story like the back of my hand though. Episode 3 was certainly a high water mark at least.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1628 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 18, 2023, 06:14:54 pm
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but we’ve been enjoying a series called Yellowjackets.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1629 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 18, 2023, 07:40:38 pm
I agree it's not elite TV actually, it's not an all time series but that episode 3 is. Agree re the character development, I thought there were several weak episodes, the mall one especially. But the last two and the 3rd were so good maybe I can let it off!

Wish I'd played the game but I think it might be a bit late now. I am studiously resisting too much googling around the storyline to avoid spoilers!

Re the infected, I think they were caught between a rock and hard place really. Too many interactions and it becomes a by the numbers zombie series (walking dead etc), too few and it feels like a missed opportunity. I wanted to know more about those triceratops like infected that came out of the hole in episode 4 or 5!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:52:47 pm by spidermonkey09 »

mark20

• junky
#1630 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 19, 2023, 08:13:05 am
No knowledge of the game but enjoyed the series. I liked the fact that the zombies played a small part, a bigger threat to them was other humans battling for their survival.
Even if you can't be arsed watching the series I'd seriously recommend watching Ep3 as mentioned. Brilliant stand alone episode, felt like an episode of Black Mirror

Bradders

• forum hero
#1631 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 19, 2023, 04:31:51 pm
I agree it's not elite TV actually, it's not an all time series but that episode 3 is. Agree re the character development, I thought there were several weak episodes, the mall one especially. But the last two and the 3rd were so good maybe I can let it off!

Wish I'd played the game but I think it might be a bit late now. I am studiously resisting too much googling around the storyline to avoid spoilers!

Re the infected, I think they were caught between a rock and hard place really. Too many interactions and it becomes a by the numbers zombie series (walking dead etc), too few and it feels like a missed opportunity. I wanted to know more about those triceratops like infected that came out of the hole in episode 4 or 5!

Yeah agree, and it's a shame because Left Behind was a wonderful little self-contained thing in the game whereas the episode was just a bit boring!

And yes I wasn't looking for constant action and infected everywhere, just more of a balance between the two sides of the story really.

mark20

• junky
#1632 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 06, 2023, 10:39:51 pm
I quite enjoyed the BBC documentary A Very British Cult
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001krb2/a-very-british-cult
An interesting investigation into the 'Lighthouse Internal'. Seemingly normal and well educated people were lured in and gave tens of thousands of pounds to this group.
Even more interesting, is that the group are still very active, not giving in, and you can find all the members featured in the doc active on Twitter. They've even made their own counter-doc (which I haven't had the stomach to watch yet). It all feels very uncomfortable and I don't think this will end nicely

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1633 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 07, 2023, 10:23:50 am
Someone I worked with twenty odd years again swerved close to their orbit having been introduced by one of their friends. A lucky escape!

The documentary is good.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1634 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 10, 2023, 05:48:01 pm
I started watching The Night Agent on Netflix the other evening, I've really enjoyed it so far ( 2 episodes). It's not especially original but it is good quality spy / action drama which is more about being raw entertainment than all real and gritty. If that's what you're in the mood for, I'd recommend it.

I've thought that Wild Isles is pretty good as well. On iPlayer.

ali k

• junky
#1635 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 13, 2023, 08:56:02 am
Colin from Accounts

Australian comedy showing on BBC. Only watched first two episodes but it’s very good so far.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1636 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 21, 2023, 08:35:20 am
I watched episode 1 on a flight, but didn't think to see if it was available locally, nice one, I'll watch some more.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1637 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 19, 2023, 08:49:14 am
The Diplomat on Netflix is highly enjoyable. It has a serious sounding storyline about Russian mercenaries blowing up a British ship, but it's generally light-hearted and very funny at times. As most reviews have noted, the highlight is the fractious relationship between the US ambassador to London, and her husband whom she is trying to divorce. It's silly, but entertaining. 

TobyD

• forum hero
#1638 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 07:18:41 am
blue lights on iPlayer. Police drama in Northern Ireland, I'd recommend it. pretty dramatic but witty.

JamieG

• forum hero
#1639 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 09:24:56 am
Colin from Accounts

Australian comedy showing on BBC. Only watched first two episodes but it’s very good so far.

Wife and I really enjoyed this.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1640 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 09:45:30 am
blue lights on iPlayer. Police drama in Northern Ireland, I'd recommend it. pretty dramatic but witty.

Plus one to this - takes an episode or two to get going, but once you're into it it's really good.

I've just rewatched True Detective S1 as well, forgotten quite how good it is. I started S2 last night and it's not as good, but I'm gonna persevere with it.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1641 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 10:04:08 am
Succession - I’m currently on S3 and it’s as good as everyone says. Very very sharp and funny dialogue and first rate acting. So many fantastic lines coming at you every minute. Media tycoon Logan Roy is of course a monster, in fact so are his children and most of his flunkies. First time around the hideousness of the milieu put me off after the first episode, but it’s worth persevering with. The main weakness is that the show revolves around the same basic question - which child gets to run Logan’s empire when he’s gone - so sometimes it feels like an endless game of musical chairs.

Never Have I Ever - SoCal teen high school drama, but Indian. Geeky Devi loses her father to a sudden heart attack and has temporary psychosomatic paralysis. As the story starts she is out of her wheelchair, desperate to become cool and to get a boyfriend, obviously all to the complete disapproval of her strict Indian mother. Enjoyed this, it’s well written and the actress who plays Devi is very good. There is also some exploration of loss and grief which is well done and adds emotional depth to the froth.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1642 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 10:25:55 am
We're working our way through This is Going to Hurt, and enjoying it. Ben Wishaw is great in the main role, his ability to look utterly exhausted all the time is impressive. Not suitable for anyone who is at all squeamish though, lots of blood and delivery rooms.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1643 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 11:38:22 am
Jury Duty - fairly unusual mockumentary premise, with an excellent pay off. If nothing else a triumph of logistical TV planning (if that doesn't make it sound too dull).

andy popp

• forum hero
#1644 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 11:47:32 am
Succession - I’m currently on S3 and it’s as good as everyone says. Very very sharp and funny dialogue and first rate acting. So many fantastic lines coming at you every minute. Media tycoon Logan Roy is of course a monster, in fact so are his children and most of his flunkies. First time around the hideousness of the milieu put me off after the first episode, but it’s worth persevering with. The main weakness is that the show revolves around the same basic question - which child gets to run Logan’s empire when he’s gone - so sometimes it feels like an endless game of musical chairs.

I can't believe this has received so little discussion here. I think it deserves all the plaudits. More than anything, it's just a huge amound of fun. I think SE4 was the best Sean. The structure, each episode one of ten consecutive days, makes it much tauter. I don't envy you trying to avoid spoilers for however long its going to take you to get to the end.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1645 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 12:34:56 pm
Jury Duty - fairly unusual mockumentary premise, with an excellent pay off. If nothing else a triumph of logistical TV planning (if that doesn't make it sound too dull).

Considering some of the terrible movies Pauly Shore has made in the past, this actually looks quite good.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1646 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 02:10:20 pm

I can't believe this has received so little discussion here. I think it deserves all the plaudits. More than anything, it's just a huge amound of fun. I think SE4 was the best Sean. The structure, each episode one of ten consecutive days, makes it much tauter. I don't envy you trying to avoid spoilers for however long its going to take you to get to the end.

Yes it’s absolutely excellent. I have worked very hard at avoiding spoilers, I know a couple of things but nothing too serious (my better half has seen it all already and assures me I don’t know anything that makes a difference). It’s taking me a while to watch as it’s much denser than most television.

I’m in awe at some of the phrases and sentences the writers have conjured up. And who’d have thought frozen butter could reveal so much about a man’s character?

Teaboy

• forum hero
#1647 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 03:13:09 pm
My Netflix subscription ran out today and I was going to write a list of what I thought was good but i honestly can’t remember much which stood out. Pine Gap was good if the technology that formed the basis of the series is achievable, I didn’t check as if it’s not (and it seems pretty far fetched) the the whole program is undermined.
I also really enjoyed the Ottomans and this would be my top recommendation but I expect you need a bit of an interest in the subject.
The newly released Arnie series (Fubar) was enjoyable but not as good as the Jack Reacher series.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1648 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 03:40:57 pm
We let ours lapse too, given we have Prime, access to Disney plus and all the OD stuff, not worth spending any more money.

Plus the kids just sit and rewatch Teen Titans Go on repeat when we have it.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1649 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 07, 2023, 11:41:05 pm

Plus one to this - takes an episode or two to get going, but once you're into it it's really good.

I've just rewatched True Detective S1 as well, forgotten quite how good it is. I started S2 last night and it's not as good, but I'm gonna persevere with it.

S2 was such a let down. I kept watching it hoping it was going to get better but it never did. If it's actually good and worth a rewatch let me know I was the most sleep deprived of my entire life when I watched it so not in a normal state of mind!

S1 is one of the best series of TV I've seen, i think Matthew Mc and Woody H are just amazing. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal