UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 419221 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1550 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 07, 2023, 03:16:06 pm
Early Doors is being re-run on BBC4 from tonight. If you’ve not seen it before, it’s a brilliant comedy.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1551 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 07, 2023, 06:24:01 pm
Early Doors is being re-run on BBC4 from tonight. If you’ve not seen it before, it’s a brilliant comedy.

Good tip that Ben thanks. Just googled it, looks great.

Been hacking through latest Handmaidens Tale which is on Amazon atm. It's still enjoyable although maybe not as great as the first few series which were brilliant

Paul B

• forum hero
#1552 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 14, 2023, 11:47:17 am
It appears that 1899 will now not be funded for a second series.

Following 1899, Dark is also going down very well!

It's not the most helpful recommendation as it's only on Netflix for the remainder of the day but Roadrunner about Anthony Bourdain is a powerful watch.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1553 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 14, 2023, 03:44:33 pm
Three Salons at the Seaside, BBC

This reissued 1994 documentary takes us into three Blackpool ladies hairdressers, seemingly entirely patronised by old ladies. They get their hair done, gossip, occasionally a delivery man pops in with a pie. Their chat is pure Alan Bennett and mostly revolves around death and loss, whilst at the same time being very sharp and funny. Definitely the spiritual grandmother of “A Bunch of Amateurs” which FD posted about above.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1554 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 17, 2023, 10:00:40 am
The Last of Us

Only the one episode released so far, but at 80 minutes that's plenty to be going along with! I'm a massive fan of the games, so have been awaiting this with bated breath. I only managed to catch the first 50 minutes of it last night (dad life), but fair to say it's completely blown me away so far.

Afterwards I was thinking about the micro-genre within a genre that is "the apocalyptic, society collapsing event". Typically with end of the world type things you either see the aftermath, as our protagonist wakes up later on (28 Days Later, The Walking Dead, etc.), or you get a glimpse of the moment when it all goes to shit as the virus / aliens / whatever arrives.

There have been some good recent examples of the latter. Bird Box I thought was really intense, which it sort of was always going to be given the concept. A Quiet Place II delivered pretty well. Cloverfield is an entire film based on the genre and I've always enjoyed it.

Anyway, I say all this because the sequence in TLOU is up there with the very best. Intense, claustrophobic, mesmerising. It captures the spirit of the game and exceeds it. Fingers firmly crossed for the rest of it, but it's a great start.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1555 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 17, 2023, 11:27:41 am
I agree the first episode is great.
I haven't played the game so I'm not familiar with the story. I am familiar with the game's music and I was really pleased to hear the game's music in the first episode.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1556 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 17, 2023, 11:39:15 am
I've been watching Spooks from Series 1 (I watched it late in the run, but missed the first few series-es).

S1 is circa 2002 and is very much of its time...the cars, the fashions and the interior design seem like they're from another era, even though it's only about 20 years ago!

One of the biggest things you notice is the phones. Good Nokia representation!

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1557 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 17, 2023, 10:35:53 pm
It's easy to forget that there was a time when nearly every phone was a Nokia!

I started rewatching Spooks from the start during lockdown. Got a fair way in (series 7 I think). I do think it's a great series overall and when it first came out I loved it. Most things from the 90s have dated badly it would seem

SamT

• forum hero
#1558 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 17, 2023, 10:39:54 pm
I've been watching Spooks from Series 1 (I watched it late in the run, but missed the first few series-es).

S1 is circa 2002 and is very much of its time...the cars, the fashions and the interior design seem like they're from another era, even though it's only about 20 years ago!

Do I recall a rather vicious scene early on in the first series, where one of the team gets her head dunked in a deep fat fryer..  I remember being pretty shocked at the time. 

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1559 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 17, 2023, 10:56:15 pm

Do I recall a rather vicious scene early on in the first series, where one of the team gets her head dunked in a deep fat fryer..  I remember being pretty shocked at the time.

Yep that's true, in the context of the whole run of the 9 series or whatever it's as shocking as it gets.

It's easy to forget that there was a time when nearly every phone was a Nokia!

I started rewatching Spooks from the start during lockdown. Got a fair way in (series 7 I think). I do think it's a great series overall and when it first came out I loved it. Most things from the 90s have dated badly it would seem

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1560 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 17, 2023, 11:01:48 pm
2002 and is very much of its time...the cars, the fashions and the interior design seem like they're from another era, even though it's only about 20 years ago!

It’s usual for things that are about 20 years old to seem like they’re of another era though isn’t it? It’s kind of the point where the past all feels excruciatingly naff, before we recognise bits as classic. 1981 (Adam and the Ants, The Birdie Song, Triangle, Sorry!, Charles and Di’s Wedding etc.) certainly felt like another era in 2002…

Personally I love watching old TV shows- the historical element just adds to the entertainment. On that note, every episode of Desmond’s is available on All4.  8)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 11:16:39 pm by cheque »

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1561 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 18, 2023, 09:54:32 am
2002 and is very much of its time...the cars, the fashions and the interior design seem like they're from another era, even though it's only about 20 years ago!

It’s usual for things that are about 20 years old to seem like they’re of another era though isn’t it? It’s kind of the point where the past all feels excruciatingly naff, before we recognise bits as classic. 1981 (Adam and the Ants, The Birdie Song, Triangle, Sorry!, Charles and Di’s Wedding etc.) certainly felt like another era in 2002…

Personally I love watching old TV shows- the historical element just adds to the entertainment. On that note, every episode of Desmond’s is available on All4.  8)

On the other hand, some older things don't really date very much, I'm currently watching the first season of Happy Valley, which, although a mere 10 years old, seems pretty contemporary.
Of recent things I've seen, it varies, Jackie Brown seemed ancient, but the Hunger Games, you wouldn't notice, although it's not rooted in a real world context I suppose. Perhaps sci fi and historical drama has more staying power?
Re Desmond's, I used to love it, I don't imagine an old school barber shop would change much either though?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1562 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 18, 2023, 11:05:39 am
Other thing I've noticed, mainly through being an avid re-watcher of old Seinfelds and Frasiers - is how many of the plots / comedy scenarios revolve around using missing a land line call / something to do with an answerphone as a plot device, and how jarring it would feel as they would never happen now!

Paul B

• forum hero
#1563 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 18, 2023, 11:20:50 am
Other thing I've noticed, mainly through being an avid re-watcher of old Seinfelds and Frasiers - is how many of the plots / comedy scenarios revolve around using missing a land line call / something to do with an answerphone as a plot device, and how jarring it would feel as they would never happen now!

Whereas modern TV seems to rely on areas of no signal.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1564 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 18, 2023, 02:36:58 pm

I think there are more similarities between 2002 and 2022 than say 1964 and 1984, or 1975 to 1995. Everything from the TV itself (b&w to colour), computers moving from universities and spacecraft to the home, the sexual revolution (there weren’t that many gays on TV in the early 80s but homosexuality wasn’t illegal), women couldn’t get a loan without a man in the 60s but by the 80s we were watching Cagney and Lacey (well, my divorced mother certainly enjoyed this tale of gun-toting emancipated New York female cops), the depiction of race went from Mind Your Language to Goodness Gracious Me. So much social change that it makes our last two decades look a bit staid, despite all our many current crises.

Having said that… I recently watched the whole of Prime Suspect and 1990s London does seem a very different city to the present day. It’s still a great watch tho and Helen Mirren is superb.

I also have just finished watching “The Dropout” which is the story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. A jaw dropping tale of deceit! Kinda clunky but thorough and well worth the time.

Ged

• junky
#1565 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 18, 2023, 07:08:06 pm

I think there are more similarities between 2002 and 2022 than say 1964 and 1984, or 1975 to 1995. Everything from the TV itself (b&w to colour), computers moving from universities and spacecraft to the home, the sexual revolution (there weren’t that many gays on TV in the early 80s but homosexuality wasn’t illegal), women couldn’t get a loan without a man in the 60s but by the 80s we were watching Cagney and Lacey (well, my divorced mother certainly enjoyed this tale of gun-toting emancipated New York female cops), the depiction of race went from Mind Your Language to Goodness Gracious Me. So much social change that it makes our last two decades look a bit staid, despite all our many current crises.

Having said that… I recently watched the whole of Prime Suspect and 1990s London does seem a very different city to the present day. It’s still a great watch tho and Helen Mirren is superb.

I also have just finished watching “The Dropout” which is the story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. A jaw dropping tale of deceit! Kinda clunky but thorough and well worth the time.

I'm not sure I agree with that. 2002 is still barely any mobile phones, certainly no kind of social media or instant messaging being used in plots, and still pretty casual homophobic references/horrendous national stereotypes (see most episodes of Friends for example).

Fast forward to 2022 and you've got every protagonist armed to the teeth with instant communication, social media platforms, GPS technology, and even the ability to manipulate images and videos.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1566 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 18, 2023, 08:47:49 pm
Phones and information technology stand out to us because they are one of the few massive changes in consumer technology in the last two decades. Whereas in 1960 in the U.K. fridges are relatively rare, by 1980 practically everyone has one. The 747 arrives in the very early 1970s and transforms air travel. Supermarkets start to change the high street at around the same time. Consumer electronics make a massive leap forward. Car ownership rates in the 70s soar. And fashion changed really rapidly, far more so than today.

I get your point on racist and homophobic entertainment but do we consider the norm or the cutting edge? The cutting edge in the late 60s was decriminalising homosexuality, whereas I certainly remember that by the late 80s us right on and politically correct teenagers were well against homophobia - probably at least in part to a diet of alternative comedy- even though society as a whole had much more regressive attitudes in general. (I’m not trying to show off here, it’s not as if I actually knew any gay people!)

Ged

• junky
#1567 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 18, 2023, 09:01:12 pm
nd fashion changed really rapidly, far more so than today

I don't know about that. If I had worn to school 20 years ago what the lads wear at my school I'd have been lynched! Short tight jeans and no socks!

I see your point about the changes in mass consumption, but I'd argue that even though a phone is just a phone, it has had a much bigger impact on the world (and TV story lines) than all the rest put together. Again, I just look at tge kids at school (and myself, lying in bed with my  1 year old trying to get her to sleep whilst typing this  :boohoo:

seankenny

• forum hero
#1568 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 18, 2023, 09:36:21 pm
That’s complete nonsense!   :w00t: Washing machines and pre-prepared food helped increase women’s participation in the (formal, paid) labour force - a massive change that has impacted everyone. Mass air travel destroyed most English seaside towns. The rise of the car made the modern suburb possible and changed the way our towns and cities looked.

The phone only looks large in our imagination because there has been so much continuity in our material lives. I haven’t seen anything in my life as different as going from a week in Skegness, getting there by train, to flying for a week in Benidorm (individual changes in life circumstances being taken into account of course). I do think IT has changed our political lives but all the things we see now are to some extent a reworking of trends we’ve seen before (sorry I’m an End of History fanboy).

As for fashion, I reckon you could pinpoint the time a photo was taken to within five years using dress, for any time from the late 50s to the mid 90s. After that, not so much, altho over a 20 year span changes are more obvious.

I hope the one year old succumbs…!

remus

• forum hero
#1569 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 19, 2023, 07:15:52 am
Most aspects of our daily lives are touched by the internet and how easily accessible it is via mobile phones. I'd guess I Im not unusual in interacting with my phone hundreds of times a day (listen to a podcast on the drive to work, google maps for getting to a crag, zoom calls for meetings, iplayer to stream content direct to me whenever I want it, whatsapp to chat to friends ~anywhere in the world, social media for spraying about my latest sends etc.), and if phones disappeared I think my life would be substantially different. That feels significant to me!

I think it's hard to make a comparison about whether that's more or less significant than the substantial changes that happened in other periods though, imo they're all large shifts in how people live their lives.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1570 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 19, 2023, 09:54:54 am
That’s complete nonsense!   :w00t: Washing machines and pre-prepared food helped increase women’s participation in the (formal, paid) labour force - a massive change that has impacted everyone. Mass air travel destroyed most English seaside towns. The rise of the car made the modern suburb possible and changed the way our towns and cities looked.

The phone only looks large in our imagination because there has been so much continuity in our material lives. I haven’t seen anything in my life as different as going from a week in Skegness, getting there by train, to flying for a week in Benidorm (individual changes in life circumstances being taken into account of course). I do think IT has changed our political lives but all the things we see now are to some extent a reworking of trends we’ve seen before (sorry I’m an End of History fanboy).

As for fashion, I reckon you could pinpoint the time a photo was taken to within five years using dress, for any time from the late 50s to the mid 90s. After that, not so much, altho over a 20 year span changes are more obvious.

I hope the one year old succumbs…!

The change in holiday behaviour is one primarily of the destination though, as a broad generalisation, what people actually did in either case was pretty similar. It still amounts to a long journey, followed by a week or two of sitting on a beach, eating out in suspect places, drinking and complaining about the standard of the accommodation.
I think that phones, tablets, streaming services and 24 hour news have changed things far more than the holiday behaviour.
The biggest social changes have probably been the two world wars though. It was those that really changed the acceptance of women working, precipitated the establishment of a welfare state and the NHS and changed eating habits.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1571 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 19, 2023, 10:29:37 am
A podcast is just a new way of delivering a piece of content - the radio show - that first appeared a hundred years ago. WhatsApp is essentially fancy text messaging which I’ve been doing now for nearly a quarter of a century. I also use google maps to get to the crag, but the big change for me was getting a car instead of public transport or hitching everywhere. Once I’d made that leap, whether my map was in a book or a mini computer doesn’t make that much difference.

I do think the ways we consume information has had a big impact, but mostly via turbo charging things that we have experienced before in modernity.

You may feel that being able to order an on demand television show is as big a change as, say, building a bunch of nuclear power stations and increasing car ownership by a couple of dozen percentage points, but to me that just seems an overblown claim and a kind of bias towards present experience.

Returning to TV, I think it’s interesting how little online life is actually depicted in drama. Even stories about Silicon Valley are mostly stories about people talking in rooms.

remus

• forum hero
#1572 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 19, 2023, 12:20:00 pm
A podcast is just a new way of delivering a piece of content - the radio show - that first appeared a hundred years ago. WhatsApp is essentially fancy text messaging which I’ve been doing now for nearly a quarter of a century. I also use google maps to get to the crag, but the big change for me was getting a car instead of public transport or hitching everywhere. Once I’d made that leap, whether my map was in a book or a mini computer doesn’t make that much difference.

I do think the ways we consume information has had a big impact, but mostly via turbo charging things that we have experienced before in modernity.

You may feel that being able to order an on demand television show is as big a change as, say, building a bunch of nuclear power stations and increasing car ownership by a couple of dozen percentage points, but to me that just seems an overblown claim and a kind of bias towards present experience.

Individually I agree that each piece is not that big of a change. My point is that all these small changes add up to a big change, given how pervasive phones, and more specifically ready access to the internet, is in our lives.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1573 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 19, 2023, 12:44:26 pm

You may feel that being able to order an on demand television show is as big a change as, say, building a bunch of nuclear power stations

A nuclear power plant is just a fancy steam engine with some spicy coal!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1574 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 19, 2023, 12:50:22 pm
I think Sean's got a point. The information revolution has massively affected the way we live our lives, but it's only just begun to affect the physical reality of the country. Obvious changes like internet shopping are just a slow burn on top of catalogues and the death of the high street. And it took the pandemic to really get people working from home en masse, which is only beginning to be reflected in property trends. I think it will though, and along with an explosion in electric cars/ bikes/ scooters will be the obvious things that date today's footage.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal