UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 424596 times)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#1525 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 23, 2022, 04:19:20 pm
For me, the best things this year have been Andor, Obi-Wan, House of the Dragon, The Sandman and Stanley Tucci's Italy.

Biggest disappointment: Rings of Power. Looked nice but absolutely garbage plot and acting.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1526 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 24, 2022, 07:40:53 pm
First one is amazing - been mentioned on here earlier. Second one less so.
Ah shame, might still take a look at some point. I’m a sucker for recent K movies, and zombies are a favourite kind of trash.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1527 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 25, 2022, 05:53:52 pm
Good to see The Bear making it to the top of a lot of end of year lists. Just to bump it as a recommendation here for those who haven’t seen it, as I think it really does live up to the hype.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1528 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 30, 2022, 09:47:39 am
The current season of His Dark Materials is great. Its so long since I read the books that I don't know how faithful the TV version is to them, but to my mind it doesn't matter; they're both good in their own right. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1529 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 30, 2022, 12:42:06 pm
Slipped under my radar, but Season 4 of What we do in the Shadows is on Disney+. Watched episode 1 last night, picks up where the last one finished in great form.

Stuart Anderson

• regular
#1530 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 30, 2022, 12:51:25 pm
Kleo (Netflix).

Comparisons are made to Killing Eve (which I've not seen) so make of that what you will. I was after something to kill time so took a punt. So far, so entertained.

Hints of mystery and dark deeds. Funny, disturbing, well acted, likable protagonists (if Stasi assassins are your thing).

Season two has been green lit, which is usually a vote of confidence for things on Netflix.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1531 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 30, 2022, 01:32:40 pm
The Detectorists Christmas special was fab.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1532 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 01, 2023, 10:15:02 am
The Detectorists, Motherland, Gone Fishing and Ghosts specials were all great. Take me to Lofoten!

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1533 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 01, 2023, 12:50:06 pm
Good to see The Bear making it to the top of a lot of end of year lists. Just to bump it as a recommendation here for those who haven’t seen it, as I think it really does live up to the hype.

+1 to this

Best thing I saw on TV all year. It genuinely blew me away as I wasn't expecting something that good from a series I'd not heard about on Disney.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1534 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 01, 2023, 01:31:04 pm
The Bear was very very good but for me Severance was just that bit better. Watch both!

Good to see another Motherland fan, a great show with extra fun for me as it’s partly filmed in my neighbourhood.

IanP

• forum abuser
#1535 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 03, 2023, 06:34:05 pm
Watched start of Happy Valley S3 last night.  Seems like quality is definitely maintained from the previous seasons, first episode was a brilliant intense watch with great characters, superb performances and some cracking dialog. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#1536 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 04, 2023, 01:56:58 pm
It appears that 1899 will now not be funded for a second series.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1537 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 05, 2023, 09:27:51 am
Watched start of Happy Valley S3 last night.  Seems like quality is definitely maintained from the previous seasons, first episode was a brilliant intense watch with great characters, superb performances and some cracking dialog.

Watched the first episode of S1 yesterday on this recommendation as I'd never seen any of it. I also thought it was great  and look forward to seeing the rest.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1538 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 05, 2023, 11:53:56 am
If anyone fancies a classic, the original Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy series (with Alec Guiness as Smiley) is up on iPlayer for a month:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006ylbp/tinker-tailor-soldier-spy

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1539 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 05, 2023, 03:29:54 pm
If anyone fancies a classic, the original Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy series (with Alec Guiness as Smiley) is up on iPlayer for a month:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006ylbp/tinker-tailor-soldier-spy

This is very good, watched it last year. I still narrowly prefer the film, mostly for the Julio Iglesias track on the final scene.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#1540 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 05, 2023, 03:57:37 pm
The Detectorists Christmas special was fab.

Only just discovered the detectorists and i'm enjoying it so much.

webbo

• forum hero
#1541 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 05, 2023, 04:09:48 pm
I must have all series about 5 times now. Apparently in an episode of wurzal gumidge, Macaulays version, in distant field you can see a yellow TVR with 2 blokes with metal detectors.
This could be an urban myth.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1542 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 05, 2023, 06:37:22 pm
mostly for the Julio Iglesias track on the final scene.

I think it’s La Mer by Charles Trenet

:smartass:

A brilliant song and so good for that scene.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1543 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 05, 2023, 06:52:23 pm
I must have all series about 5 times now. Apparently in an episode of wurzal gumidge, Macaulays version, in distant field you can see a yellow TVR with 2 blokes with metal detectors.
This could be an urban myth.

It’s 2023 Webbo, you can look these things up. But thanks! I hadn’t heard.

webbo

• forum hero
#1544 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 05, 2023, 07:14:59 pm
It gets a bit boring googling everything. Plus sometimes you find out stuff you don’t want know.

crzylgs

• stalker
#1545 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 05, 2023, 10:38:46 pm
It appears that 1899 will now not be funded for a second series.

I've also heard this confirmed. Seems very strange given that 'Dark' (1899's creators previous series) was held up by many as the poster child of Netflix's international productions. Sadly because 1899 is a 'Netflix original' development it is now effectively dead. Rather frustrating because I watched series 1 with knowledge that the creators had a story arc planned out for 3 series. Without spoiling series 1 (not that I imagine anyone will watch it now knowing its an incomplete product) it ended on a fun cliffhanger that opened up lots of potential for the future series.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1546 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 06, 2023, 09:22:05 am
Supposedly (i.e. Twitter hearsay) the CCO of Netflix has openly said viewership algorithms are the decider of which shows are considered successful or unsuccessful.  A metric for cancellation is if viewers do not finish the first season within a month of launch. 1899 was launched 3 days before the World Cup started, during the business end of the NFL season... If true, it seems a bit short-sighted - people could get reluctant to ever watch a new series, as they will expect it to be cancelled, leaving plots irritatingly unresolved (absent of massive early hype).

TobyD

• forum hero
#1547 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 06, 2023, 10:09:40 am
Supposedly (i.e. Twitter hearsay) the CCO of Netflix has openly said viewership algorithms are the decider of which shows are considered successful or unsuccessful.  A metric for cancellation is if viewers do not finish the first season within a month of launch.

I'd have thought this was obvious, I'm sure other media companies all do the same. (Maybe not the BBC and ch4 to the same extent? ) After all, it's also why newspapers are full of BS about the royal family and culture war rubbish instead of actual news, it's all clickbait. Indeed, I'm sure it's also why Netflix give Harry and Megan wads of cash, huge numbers of people will watch it.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1548 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 06, 2023, 10:35:26 am
I think it's always been a factor but some TV companies have historically been a bit more forgiving, if they believe in the quality of the show (or if it is critically acclaimed). E.g. HBO continued to fund The Wire for 5 seasons, despite it having relatively few viewers and winning no awards during its initial run.  It was only during reruns and when the DVD box sets became available that it became more popular on the back of critical praise.  There are other examples of US programmes that only had a minor cult following for a series or two, before breaking out (usually when repeated / syndicated).

battery

• obsessive maniac
#1549 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 06, 2023, 08:09:31 pm
Trailblazers on the BBC iPlayer - fucking brilliant. So empowering that it's 3 women. And so honest, watching these 3 women overcome their fears and explore different ways of living and the environment - it's just bloody brilliant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal