UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 419162 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1450 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 21, 2022, 08:53:32 am
That should be awesome -- I saw the liveshow of which that's half.

It was an odd experience since I'd bought tickets with a friend for summer 2020. Two years later, we were sitting in the audience going "Well, we finally made it. We survived this far".

It is very good.  One or two of the jokes are now slightly out of date, but that doesn't matter,  it's all still funny. 

TobyD

• forum hero
#1451 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 04, 2022, 07:25:19 am
Started watching Inside Man last night, it's well worth watching, based on the first episode. Stanley Tucci is exceptional.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#1452 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 06, 2022, 04:24:56 pm
Started watching Inside Man last night, it's well worth watching, based on the first episode. Stanley Tucci is exceptional.
Normally get on pretty well with your recommendations Toby but found this unwatchable!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1453 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 06, 2022, 04:36:08 pm
No diss, Toby, but I've noticed that a lot of your recommendations are based on the first episode, which I expect the writers put a disproportionate amount of effort into to get the audience interested.

For the Inside Man my suspended disbelief quickly resumed when the nice priest locked the tutor in the basement in lieu of sorting out a simple misunderstanding.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1454 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 07, 2022, 10:16:17 am
No diss, Toby, but I've noticed that a lot of your recommendations are based on the first episode, which I expect the writers put a disproportionate amount of effort into to get the audience interested.

For the Inside Man my suspended disbelief quickly resumed when the nice priest locked the tutor in the basement in lieu of sorting out a simple misunderstanding.

Well,  I still disagree with you both, I like it,  having watched almost all of it now. Tucci is excellent as a Lecter figure.  The cellar scenario is a bit of a stretch,  but you must struggle to enjoy much fiction without being able to allow narrative devices like that.

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#1455 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 07, 2022, 11:03:57 am
Anyone else watching Industry?

It’s kind of like Skins shagging Succession in the toilet of an investment bank. An HBO / BBC collaboration - the writing is super sharp.

The second series has just been released on iPlayer and I’d say (3 episodes in) it’s even better than the first.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1456 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 07, 2022, 11:38:52 am
Anyone else watching Industry?

It’s kind of like Skins shagging Succession in the toilet of an investment bank. An HBO / BBC collaboration - the writing is super sharp.

The second series has just been released on iPlayer and I’d say (3 episodes in) it’s even better than the first.

Great description, sounds good  :lol:

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1457 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 14, 2022, 12:43:42 pm
Haven't watched it yet, but Adam Curtis's new series is up on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0d3hwl1/russia-19851999-traumazone

Mike Highbury

• addict
#1458 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 14, 2022, 01:36:55 pm
KaDeWe, on Iplayer since late-September.

A German language drama about a Jewish-owned Berlin department store from about 1920 - 1935 (the dates are prob. wrong but that's the period).

Very German, nightclubs and drugs, nudity and lesbian sex.

My family owned a huge dept store in another city and similarly lost it in the boycott of Jewish businesses. The idea that my father, the scion, as a drugged-up waster is slightly amusing just very unlikely because I doubt that it was being invited onto a train made him the serious man that I knew.

But watch it because it's German and we all need to practice or summat.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1459 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 14, 2022, 06:11:55 pm
Discussed with some UKBers on Twitter, but just to flag up The Bear on Disney here, totally awesome

Paul B

• forum hero
#1460 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 15, 2022, 11:56:44 am
Discussed with some UKBers on Twitter, but just to flag up The Bear on Disney here, totally awesome

I was one of these UKBers and watched the first episode last week and found it genuinely stressful. I wasn't intending on revisiting the series but did on TTT's recommendation and it's actually really good. I've watched the entire series already.
 :tumble:

yetix

• forum abuser
#1461 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 15, 2022, 08:42:34 pm
Watched it all today on this recommendation and really enjoyed it! Quite intense though!

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#1462 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 16, 2022, 04:17:45 pm
Trauma Zone mentioned up thread is mesmerising.
Funny in parts, deeply moving in others.
Commentary free with occasional subtitles charts the collapse of the Soviet Union and goes someway to explain current events.
7 hour long episodes, I was rivetted and watched the whole lot in 2 segments.

IanP

• forum abuser
#1463 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 28, 2022, 02:23:50 pm
The Love Box in Your Living Room, BBC2

Really quite strange satirical take on BBCs 100 year history with Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse.  Also satirises Adam Curtis's documentary style I believe - I've heard the name but not watched his stuff. 

Both weird and quite often very funny I'm wasn't quite sure what I was making of it but kept watching and by the end concluded that it was really pretty good!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1464 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 28, 2022, 10:27:11 pm
Yeah enjoyed that too. Immediately makes you wonder why Adam Curtis hasn’t been satirised before, it seems so obvious and easy a target in retrospect. It was much more of an Adam Curtis satire than anything else, so no wonder it seemed strange if you’re not familiar.

Duma

• forum hero
#1465 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 29, 2022, 07:38:00 pm
The Peripheral (prime)
Tbf I'll happily watch CGM in any old rubbish, but this seems like genuinely worthwhile sci fi. 3 episodes so far

danm

• junky
#1466 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 29, 2022, 10:55:08 pm
The Peripheral (prime)
Tbf I'll happily watch CGM in any old rubbish, but this seems like genuinely worthwhile sci fi. 3 episodes so far
Pleasantly surprised with it so far given that a previous attempt to turn some of his (Gibson's) work into a screenplay brought us the dire Johnny Mnemonic. A writer of such vision and genius deserves so much better than that.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1467 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 31, 2022, 11:07:23 am
For those with access to Netflix, this is great.

Have watched the first four so far. Each one better than the last. Increasingly creepy and original.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1468 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 31, 2022, 11:23:49 am
Good shout - I watched the first one of those last week and thought it was great. Need to get on the other ones now.

Interested to hear about The Peripheral, was wondering if it's worth a look as the concept looks interesting.

For any true crime fans, there's one on Netflix called The Vatican Girl which is pretty decent.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1469 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 31, 2022, 07:21:08 pm
Zeitgeist in Grimsby:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1470 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 01, 2022, 07:00:32 pm
Started The Peripheral last night - got halfway through second episode and left the rest for this evening.

Having watched / been traumatised by Midsommar relatively recently, have to say it's taken me a while to get used to Jack Reynor in a different character, when I had such a dislike of him in the aforementioned film...

Peripheral is good so far, bar an amusing bit of exposition attempting to (I think) address a paradox of the time travel plot, which is a bit complex, but then one of the characters literally says "don't worry about understanding it, it's all pretty complicated"!

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#1471 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 01, 2022, 10:27:23 pm
Zeitgeist in Grimsby:

Wadded you for this. but my autocorrect changed it to Grumble. Frikkin phones! Great little doco on Grimsby scene. Thanks for sharing it. Bleak, but hopeful at the same time.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1472 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 02, 2022, 08:44:30 am
Agree re Midsommar, although I’m coming round to him after 3 episodes

Peripheral is good so far, bar an amusing bit of exposition attempting to (I think) address a paradox of the time travel plot, which is a bit complex, but then one of the characters literally says "don't worry about understanding it, it's all pretty complicated"!

Quote from: Douglas Adams

Time travel is increasingly regarded as a menace. History is being polluted.

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of accidentally becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem involved in becoming your own father or mother that a broadminded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is also no problem about changing the course of history- the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveller's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you for instance how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations whilst you are actually travelling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own father or mother.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semi-Conditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up: and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

Note: The term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1473 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 02, 2022, 09:24:32 am
Forgotten how good Douglas Adams is. I dug out the "trilogy" from the loft as I thought my son is ready to relish them, but might give them another whirl myself, as I've not read them in about 25-30 years.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1474 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 02, 2022, 10:26:24 am
Definitely worthwhile, I found a lot more in them rereading in my late 30’s than I remembered from my early 20’s

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal