UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 424873 times)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1375 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 02, 2022, 01:07:33 am
I'd second The Responder its fucking brilliant. Just finished it tonight, super tense and Martin Freeman is just amazing in it

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1376 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 02, 2022, 09:47:26 am
Yeah, we finished it off over the weekend - only January and probably one of the best things I'll watch all year!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1377 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 02, 2022, 10:09:22 am
Stay Close on Netflix; most of the way through this,  I'd recommend it,  its broadly a police procedural,  but more focused on the non police characters than most.  Interesting and unexpected twists so far,  and Eddie Izzard is entertaining as a high functioning heroin addict. 

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#1378 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 02, 2022, 10:21:37 am
I couldn't see this had been mentioned before: I can heartily recommend The White Lotus.

This is a biting social satire dressed up like a glossy US pulp-drama - so is an enjoyable watch, with a lot going on under the surface. It's also very funny.

This featured highly in a lot of the 'Best of TV 2021' lists, but I've only just got to it. The central character, Armond, is particularly memorable - the most polished hotel manager in the world, who's hiding a slide back into a life of drug and alcohol fuelled debauchery. Great!

It's on NowTV / Sky.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#1379 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 02, 2022, 10:09:12 pm
Anyone else watching Hit Monkey? (Disney+) really enjoying it's Deadpool meets ronln type vibe.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#1380 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 03, 2022, 02:53:47 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0013vf3/storyville-final-account

A portrait of the last living generation of everyday people to participate in the Third Reich. Men and women ranging from former SS officers to children who grew up in Hitler’s Germany speak for the first time about their memories and perceptions of some of the greatest crimes in human history

Steve R

• forum abuser
#1381 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 10, 2022, 11:27:54 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0013vf3/storyville-final-account

A portrait of the last living generation of everyday people to participate in the Third Reich. Men and women ranging from former SS officers to children who grew up in Hitler’s Germany speak for the first time about their memories and perceptions of some of the greatest crimes in human history
Found this interesting.  Felt like there was a bit of a language barrier for me as apart from the obviously remorseful and the obviously remorseless interviewees, I found it quite hard to tell where most of them were on that spectrum or pick up on any subtlety with what they were saying.  Guess the direct, to the point way that German's tend to speak didn't help here.

Another vote for The Responder.  A lot more than just another cop drama.  Had a lot more to say,  snappier and way more interesting in the space of a couple of episodes than the entire 8 (or whatever) series of Line of Duty.   Not always a big fan of Martin Freeman's acting but he was brilliant in this.   

Also enjoyed Chloe on iPlayer recently.  Original in parts, bit hackneyed in others.  Possibly an episode or two too long but good storytelling, subtle and some really good acting.  Enjoyed the setting in an eye rolling sort of way - affluent Bristol art/hipster scene.  Many scenes a tour de force in interior design.  Brean down also features.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1382 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 19, 2022, 10:33:25 am

Another vote for The Responder.  A lot more than just another cop drama.  Had a lot more to say,  snappier and way more interesting in the space of a couple of episodes than the entire 8 (or whatever) series of Line of Duty.   Not always a big fan of Martin Freeman's acting but he was brilliant in this.   

I'd agree that the acting is good,  especially Freeman; however (only episode one so far)  that its worthy yet slightly unenjoyable. Perhaps its just a bit too realistic? I'll probably still watch it all though. 

Shadow and Bone kind of the opposite of the Responder, its passingly enjoyable steampunk codswallop.  I enjoy watching it, but will have probably forgotten all about it in a years time.  It certainly has something to say for it ; I quite like the idea of a world seperated by a wall of shadow populated by flying demon things, but it lacks narrative focus.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1383 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 19, 2022, 11:40:38 am
 I couldn't get into The Responder, despite the presence of both Martin Freeman and the always-amazing Ian Hart.

I did just covid-recover binge my way through Inventing Anna on Netflix though. If you don't know the story (I read Rachel Williams' My Friend Anna a while back, which tells one side of the story - and there is some controversy re how much the Netflix version is embellished) it's basically the tale of Rich Simpson, but a female version, with the story set in New York vs Sheffield. Anna (Rich) hits the scene, rapidly gains adulation on the fashion / party set via being a very-well-dressed alpha social parasite (impresses people with one-armers), goes on insanely lavish holidays without any intention of paying for them, sometimes accompanied by a personal videographer (invites Doylo to film him at the School), and then tries to borrow $40m from various Wall Street institutions to launch a private members art club on Park Avenue (not quite sure whether RS actually managed anything like this), before going to jail and setting the internet alight (going to Cambridge and inspiring some conversations on British climbing forums).

It's very entertaining...

JamieG

• forum hero
#1384 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 08, 2022, 01:11:54 pm
Arcane on Netflix is a very good animated series. I'm normally not that taken with animated series, since they can be a bit cringe in my opinion. So I went in with fairly low expectations, but had heard good things and have to agree I thought it was brilliant. Set in a magic/steampunk city of two halves, the upper rich region and the lower slums, and the struggles between them. It leans heavily on some typical tropes and characterisations but manages to pull it off excellently. The characters and their struggles (mostly) felt believable and genuine  Animation style is also a very nice comic book look , which reminded me a bit of Spider-man: into the spiderverse (also excellent). Despite a couple minor eye roll moments, overall it is well worth a watch. I hope they make a second series. I believe it is all based on a video game called league of legends, but I know nothing about that and it didn't seem to matter.

Durbs

• forum hero
#1385 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 08, 2022, 05:18:35 pm
Arcane on Netflix is a very good animated series. I'm normally not that taken with animated series, since they can be a bit cringe in my opinion. So I went in with fairly low expectations, but had heard good things and have to agree I thought it was brilliant. Set in a magic/steampunk city of two halves, the upper rich region and the lower slums, and the struggles between them. It leans heavily on some typical tropes and characterisations but manages to pull it off excellently. The characters and their struggles (mostly) felt believable and genuine  Animation style is also a very nice comic book look , which reminded me a bit of Spider-man: into the spiderverse (also excellent). Despite a couple minor eye roll moments, overall it is well worth a watch. I hope they make a second series. I believe it is all based on a video game called league of legends, but I know nothing about that and it didn't seem to matter.

+1
Loved Arcane, know nothing about LoL - but thought the animation was beautiful, and excellent story telling too. Very minor cheese-y moments but mitigated by excellent characters.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1386 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 19, 2022, 10:08:59 am
I fully realise that its several years old, however I've just started watching Designated Survivor on Netflix.  Its a slightly silly premise,  but I am so far enjoying it anyway,  its highly entertaining fairly light entertainment with amusing plot twists.  If you don't take it too seriously,  I'd recommend it.  If you want worthy political drama,  look elsewhere,  but on its own terms this is well worth watching. 

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1387 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 19, 2022, 04:31:16 pm
Watched Nightmare Alley on Disney the other night thought it was really good, I'd deffo recommend it. Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett in it among others, he can be a bit hit and miss but was great in this. It's Guillermo Del Toro so bit of that fantasy dark stuff in there which I love.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1388 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 06, 2022, 03:03:28 pm
Is anyone else watching Severance? It’s the best thing I’ve seen on TV in ages, creepy, disturbing and intelligent science fiction with wonderful acting and sets. The premise is simple: the characters work for a company called Lumon which “severs” some of its employees. Their memories of work are inaccessible to their outside selves, and their outside selves are unknown to their selves at work. They go down the lift in the morning and know nothing until 5pm, whilst their work self is trapped in the nightmare of a continual work day. It’s riveting.

remus

• forum hero
#1389 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 06, 2022, 03:12:38 pm
Is anyone else watching Severance? It’s the best thing I’ve seen on TV in ages, creepy, disturbing and intelligent science fiction with wonderful acting and sets. The premise is simple: the characters work for a company called Lumon which “severs” some of its employees. Their memories of work are inaccessible to their outside selves, and their outside selves are unknown to their selves at work. They go down the lift in the morning and know nothing until 5pm, whilst their work self is trapped in the nightmare of a continual work day. It’s riveting.

Seconded, really enjoying it so far.

Duma

• forum hero
#1390 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 08, 2022, 09:02:01 pm
Where is this on?

Duma

• forum hero
#1391 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 08, 2022, 09:10:13 pm
To save everyone else the bother, its on fucking Apple

TobyD

• forum hero
#1392 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 09, 2022, 07:36:34 am
Young Wallander I thought this was a decent Scandi police investigation noir, although it's not as good as say, The Bridge.  Mostly, I thought it was enjoyable but had nothing really to do with Wallander, I think they should have just created a different character. Maybe they're planning to take it further in a later season and connect them?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1393 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 10, 2022, 08:33:13 pm
Season 4 of Wellington Paranormal out now. One of the best comedies of recent times IMO.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1394 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 10, 2022, 08:33:53 pm
We are almost done watching Pieces of Her on Netflix. Been quite enjoyable, if a little hard to follow on occasion.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1395 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 10, 2022, 08:35:06 pm
Oh, and Moonknight on Disney+ is tres Bon. Well it is if you’re a marvel geek like me, but the man in man Oscar Isaac is immense in this.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1396 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 15, 2022, 05:50:13 pm
Comedy recommendations are probably not great, as it's so subjective, but I am enjoying Repertoire- the James Acaster stand up thing on Netflix.

Kingy

• forum hero
#1397 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 23, 2022, 08:24:17 am
Enjoyed watching the Gazza documentary on the Iplayer recently (its in 2 parts). Great memories of a previous era and marvelling at how things have changed since the 90's!

TobyD

• forum hero
#1398 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 23, 2022, 09:58:02 am
The Stranger 6 part mystery-drama on Netflix.  Enjoyed watching this,  it improves as it goes on, and although the central premise is slightly odd, its fairly compelling and worth watching. 
It also has the considerable benefit of not being dozens of episodes long, so you're not still watching it months after you started it. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1399 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 23, 2022, 12:09:49 pm
The Truffle Hunters is superb https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0016489. Elderly men and their dogs truffle hunting in Piedmont.

(Apparently there’s a slightly longer version on the streaming channels.  Someone was telling me that all the BBC storyville’s are shorter edits - something to do with licensing and such.)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal