UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 422482 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1250 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 08, 2021, 12:05:31 am
I really enjoyed “The Watch”, currently on iPlayer.
I had read some pretty negative stuff about it, quite vitriolic in a few cases, so wasn’t expecting much.
I told number 2 son about it, because he’s a massive Pratchett fan, initially, but thought I’d pass, given the reviews.
He thought it was quite good, though, so, since it was a lazy rainy day today, I watched an episode.
Then another.
By episode three, I was quite happy with the multiverse allowing the characters I thought I was so familiar with, being quite different from the ones in my mind, just as the scenery differed from the Ankh Morpork I had dreamed up.
Before the writers specifically stated their “multiverse” license by actually swapping a main character between universes.

Quirky and engaging. Far better than the reviews and controversies suggest (I think people just couldn’t let go of their own, cherished, images of the characters) and it would be a shame if the rest of the story is never told.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1251 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 08, 2021, 07:46:10 am
If anyone hasn't seen Laura Kenny and Kate Archibald win the Madison yet, its about 15 minutes long on iplayer,  and its probably equal to any display of absolute sporting mastery and dominance that I've ever seen, akin to Federer in his prime,  or an on form All Blacks side. They just absolutely smash it from start to finish. 

Olympics, Track Cycling - Women's Madison: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p09py86l via @bbciplayer

Absolutely, despite the lack of competition it was mesmerising to watch.  Hopefully the full interview afterwards is also included, I was slightly upset by the version on the BBC 7:30pm highlights show which cut most of Katie Archibald out.

Whatever bit of the interview is on it was really good. Kenny is almost incredulous that they just had to execute their plan, as though anyone could have done it; which is clearly not the case, they're awesome.

IanP

• forum abuser
#1252 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 08, 2021, 08:56:04 am
Whatever bit of the interview is on it was really good. Kenny is almost incredulous that they just had to execute their plan, as though anyone could have done it; which is clearly not the case, they're awesome.

Absolutely awesome.  Just starting to watch the Omnium on catch up now and avoiding any news or scoial media (actually could have been a risk coming on here!),  hopefully another medal for Kenny. I do wonder if her personality and the view of her as a 'bubbly blonde' means here ability and achievements are actually somewhat underrated  - to do what she has done over three Olympics demonstrates both incredible athletic ability and an amazing racing mind.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1253 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 08, 2021, 06:32:24 pm

Absolutely awesome.  Just starting to watch the Omnium on catch up now and avoiding any news or scoial media (actually could have been a risk coming on here!),  hopefully another medal for Kenny. I do wonder if her personality and the view of her as a 'bubbly blonde' means here ability and achievements are actually somewhat underrated  - to do what she has done over three Olympics demonstrates both incredible athletic ability and an amazing racing mind.

Completely. Laura and Jason Kenny must have more Olympic medals than most countries.
Tom Pidcock is a legend too, on team Ineos, rides cyclo-cross in the winter and Olympic gold MTB. I hope he does well in the Vuelta. Heard him interviewed saying he's not really much of a mountain biker ...

Bradders

• forum hero
#1254 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 08, 2021, 07:01:47 pm
If anyone hasn't seen Laura Kenny and Kate Archibald win the Madison yet, its about 15 minutes long on iplayer,  and its probably equal to any display of absolute sporting mastery and dominance that I've ever seen, akin to Federer in his prime,  or an on form All Blacks side. They just absolutely smash it from start to finish. 

Olympics, Track Cycling - Women's Madison: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p09py86l via @bbciplayer

Had a spare 15 mins so stuck this on. I imagine my feelings watching it would be similar to non-climbers watching the bouldering; I've no idea what's going on, the scoring makes no sense and although I can vaguely understand that the level of athleticism is extremely high, I've no concept of just how high.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1255 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 08, 2021, 08:12:28 pm
Two worlds for everyone who splurged on Eurosport: Artistic Swimming.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1256 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 08, 2021, 08:37:35 pm

Had a spare 15 mins so stuck this on. I imagine my feelings watching it would be similar to non-climbers watching the bouldering; I've no idea what's going on, the scoring makes no sense and although I can vaguely understand that the level of athleticism is extremely high, I've no concept of just how high.

I liked Jason Kenny's keiran win, despite it being such a contrived event (Google Japanese gambling and UCI bribery!). But bludgeoning power is easy to recognise and admire. Comparatively little tactics,  no dawdling and drafting: at the first opportunity he went beast mode and didn't let up. 

IanP

• forum abuser
#1257 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 08, 2021, 09:57:20 pm
Completely. Laura and Jason Kenny must have more Olympic medals than most countries.
Tom Pidcock is a legend too, on team Ineos, rides cyclo-cross in the winter and Olympic gold MTB. I hope he does well in the Vuelta. Heard him interviewed saying he's not really much of a mountain biker ...

Imagine the interview was more about fact that he hadn't put that much time into getting ready for the Olympic mtb, he has said he thinks he was 'born to mountain bike'.  In fact thats the name of the over-caffeinated sugary drink company video released prior to the Olympics:

He is just starting out really but does appear to be a generational talent, incredible debut on road with Ineos, great at cyclocross, even better at mtb.  WIn at the Olympics was one of the most impressive performances by any athlete in the GB team imo, totally bossing a field of top class mountain bikers on a really technical course that was supposed to make it difficult for the roadie/cyclocross types.

Guess this all probably bit off topic for this thread. 

Back on topic, new series of Ghosts is on BBC1 on Monday. Really enjoyed the first 2 series, barmy but very funny and with great characters.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1258 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 08, 2021, 10:27:51 pm

You can look up the rules if you like, it’s quite straightforward but what I think makes it look more complicated is that only one rider from each team is active at a time. Athleticism and tactics to make sure you’re in the right position every 10 laps, and the slingshot at the end just before the line was millisecond perfect.

Recommend an evening at the velodrome to watch some track stuff to anyone once such things are available again, the speed in person is amazing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1259 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 09, 2021, 08:41:29 am

I liked Jason Kenny's keiran win, despite it being such a contrived event (Google Japanese gambling and UCI bribery!). But bludgeoning power is easy to recognise and admire. Comparatively little tactics,  no dawdling and drafting: at the first opportunity he went beast mode and didn't let up.

Said he looked back and noticed his main rival was looking back too, so grabbed the opportunity. Screen said he was doing near 70kph.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1260 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 09, 2021, 08:59:18 am

I might ride a bike around a little bit,  but have no experience of track cycling and no prior knowledge,  I thought it was pretty self explanatory,  its basically like the kind of fun game youd make up as a kid ; you just have to be first across the line on a sprint lap?

Conversely,  I found the climbing a bit confusing.  Maybe that's me being dopey.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:06:03 am by TobyD »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1261 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 09, 2021, 09:39:05 am
Don't envy the guy who decides where the front of the race is though.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1262 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 09, 2021, 11:33:31 am
Has anyone found anything of note on Discovery+? I'm imagining quite a few of us have a month or so left on a new subscription  ;D

TobyD

• forum hero
#1263 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 01, 2021, 07:28:55 am
Vigil

On iPlayer and weekly episodes. In my opinion this may be the best TV drama I've seen recently, up there with LOD or the better Netflix shows.

If you're unaware it's basically a police investigation on a trident nuclear submarine.
Highly recommended.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1264 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 01, 2021, 08:29:39 am
Yeah we’ve loved it so far. It’s great.

Also:

The night Notre Dame Burned - Storyville doc on what happened and  interviews with all involved. Really good.

Surviving 9/11 - Interviews with survivors and the bereaved.  Quite harrowing but very moving and interesting.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1265 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 01, 2021, 09:50:23 pm
Vigil

On iPlayer and weekly episodes. In my opinion this may be the best TV drama I've seen recently, up there with LOD or the better Netflix shows.

If you're unaware it's basically a police investigation on a trident nuclear submarine.
Highly recommended.

Yeah, but…
It’s not even halfway through the first episode and all I can think is:

The Helo transfer was a Sea King (last one was withdrawn from service in 2018)
The Helo is yellow, but has “Royal Navy” painted on the side and flight crew are dressed RN ( That colour scheme was only RAF, RN SR Helos were Orange and Gray).

And…

I’ll get my coat.

Actually Polly threw the remote at me.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1266 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 01, 2021, 11:57:30 pm
It’s for the general public Matt. There are several moments of obviously scripted exposition about submarines, nuclear reactors, trawlers, drug testing - you name it, but it’s still good tele.

Another good 90m BBC documentary tonight. 9/11 Inside the Presidents War Room.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1267 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 02, 2021, 12:47:24 am
It’s for the general public Matt. There are several moments of obviously scripted exposition about submarines, nuclear reactors, trawlers, drug testing - you name it, but it’s still good tele.

I know, but it’s like watching a Hollywood climbing movie.
Someone even called a Chief “Sir” and I almost choked on my wine. They even had a Lieutenant (Captain, in Army ranks) supposedly “best friends” with a Kilick (Leading Hand/Corporal). 🤦🏻‍♂️

Still, it’s bloody good. 

TobyD

• forum hero
#1268 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 02, 2021, 07:35:23 am

I know, but it’s like watching a Hollywood climbing movie.
Someone even called a Chief “Sir” and I almost choked on my wine. They even had a Lieutenant (Captain, in Army ranks) supposedly “best friends” with a Kilick (Leading Hand/Corporal). 🤦🏻‍♂️

Still, it’s bloody good.

Glad you think so too. Really good drama often, perhaps always has to play with reality, especially in Vigil, as obviously they couldn't go on a trident nuclear submarine to research what it's like.
Breaking bad is bloody amazing but does it portray the reality of Mexican cartels and the meth industry? I really don't care, I just like watching it.

ali k

• junky
#1269 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 02, 2021, 10:37:48 am
Someone even called a Chief “Sir” and I almost choked on my wine. They even had a Lieutenant (Captain, in Army ranks) supposedly “best friends” with a Kilick (Leading Hand/Corporal

Admiral of the Fleet says hi  :lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1270 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 02, 2021, 10:50:18 am
Watched an episode of "People Just Do Nothing" on Netflix, found it pretty funny, but not sure if the concept has legs for 5 seasons, has anyone watched any more of it?

Mike Highbury

• addict
#1271 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 02, 2021, 10:59:31 am
Watched an episode of "People Just Do Nothing" on Netflix, found it pretty funny, but not sure if the concept has legs for 5 seasons, has anyone watched any more of it?

Yeh, the stoners down the wall.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1272 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 02, 2021, 11:07:10 am
Yes, I’ve watched every episode  ;D.

The characters have enough to keep it going beyond the initial novelty. Plus it’s British so each series only has 6 episodes of course.

The concept was heavily (and I mean heavily) influenced by -worth a watch if you get really into it. The original pre-BBC PJDN series (ten-minutes self-produced episodes) used to be available on YouTube as well and it was interesting to see how they changed to when it got commissioned- the MC Grindah (then called MC Snipah) character was much less likeable in the web version, much more like the bloke from the BBC doc.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1273 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 17, 2021, 10:33:24 am
Watched the BBC "Surviving 9/11" documentary last night - I wasn't expecting it to be a relaxing watch but bloody hell. A lot heavier than I thought, some amazing and incredible stories. I don't normally get emotional, but even I nearly went a few times watching it.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1274 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 24, 2021, 12:07:08 am
Squid Game on Netflix. Korean survival series (a la Battle Royale, Hunger Games etc)
Would not normally have watched this. It was unoriginal, slow paced to start, and had its fair share of predictable plot points.
Despite all that I really really enjoyed it. In particular, quite a lot of it is brilliantly tense. Would recommend.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal