UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 425380 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1200 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 04, 2021, 10:03:05 am
Cheers for the spoiler.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1201 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 04, 2021, 10:17:37 am
You'll have done well to avoid them otherwise the last few days!

I recent examples have shown how hard it is to reach a satisfying conclusion to a major series - Sopranos (weird open-ended finale which disappointed a lot of fans), The Wire (kept going a season too long and petered out), Game Of Thrones (too much to mention)...

[Specifics / Spoilers RE LOD below]

NSFW  :

I've re-evaluated my position a bit on LOD - was initially disappointed it wasn't the big reveal (or any of the potential big reveals TBH) but I think Toby's right - prophetic, but if anything the series was about how bad/corrupt people don't have to be particularly good or clever to prosper.

It was easily missed but also in the post-script at the end it transpires that the "fourth man" gets immunity anyway. So I took that as being a comment on bad/corrupt people never facing justice, even when they are found out.

Overall, I thought the series was pretty weak - a lot of the script was a bit too knowing - Ted may as well have been delivering some of his "Ted-isms" with a wink to camera, and for a lot of the whizz-bang action scenes, there wasn't much by way of a plot to speak of (Carl Banks kills Gail Vela, tries to pin it on Terry Boyle and AC-12 [well Chloe mostly] finds that out).

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#1202 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 04, 2021, 11:02:50 am
Not sure it's been mentioned previously but the West Wing should really be put up there alongside the Wire, Sopranoes, etc.
First few series are brilliant, dips a little after Aaron Sorkin leaves around series 5/6 but still maintains a very high standard.
Available to stream free on the All4 app.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1203 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 04, 2021, 12:08:07 pm

I've been quickly flicking past any mention of LOD on any feeds, though I was safe here.

Really enjoying Better Call Saul at the moment, he's a classic flawed hero. The parallel plot story and characterisation of Mike Ehrmantraut is just as good.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1204 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 06, 2021, 07:52:54 am
Cheers for the spoiler.

I did specifically warn you before it though!

TobyD

• forum hero
#1205 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 06, 2021, 07:54:17 am

I've been quickly flicking past any mention of LOD on any feeds, though I was safe here.

Really enjoying Better Call Saul at the moment, he's a classic flawed hero. The parallel plot story and characterisation of Mike Ehrmantraut is just as good.

BCS is one of the best things I've ever seen. I can't wait for the next season

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1206 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 06, 2021, 11:29:16 am
I'm still on season 3, so don't blab :)

I actually think the characters are better than BB.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1207 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 06, 2021, 06:18:24 pm
I’ve been watching an animated series on Amazon Prime lately, called Invincible. Not my usual thing at all, but it’s been absolutely brilliant!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1208 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 06, 2021, 06:21:22 pm
I’ve been watching an animated series on Amazon Prime lately, called Invincible. Not my usual thing at all, but it’s been absolutely brilliant!
[/quote

Second this, they did the annoying one episode a week thing but the whole season is on now. Stellar voice cast and a great storyline.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1209 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 07, 2021, 08:41:24 am
Anyone with a love of sci fi, CGI and a bit of humour, check out Love, Death & Robots on Neflix. All short stories (longest is 15 minutes) and all very different, but the ones I've seen are all great so far.

Definitely not family viewing, swearing, sex and extreme violence in some of them.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80174608

Season 2 of this comes out today if anyone is interested. Season 1 has a lot of great clips, but a few aren't that great.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1210 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 07, 2021, 09:21:25 am
I'm still on season 3, so don't blab :)

I actually think the characters are better than BB.

My lips are sealed  ;) its been long enough since S5 that I'd struggle to remember anything much anyway. I'm sorely tempted to rewatch it up to here before the finale:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Call_Saul_(season_6)

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1211 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 05, 2021, 01:06:35 pm
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-anti-vax-conspiracy/on-demand/71923-001

Now other people can hate Andrew Wakefield just as much as I do! Which, speaking as an autistic person, is a lot.

(And they didn't even mention the unnecessary spinal taps and paying children at a birthday party cash for blood samples ...)

Even if you're familiar with some of this, the breakdown of the anti-vax movement as a financial operation and the way they've leapt on Covid as a marketing opportunity is damning.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1212 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 05, 2021, 01:24:17 pm
For people who want something more chill and mountain-y, this little film on Nan Shepherd is good stuff:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04tqk1n/secret-knowledge-the-living-mountain-a-cairngorms-journey

Read The Living Mountain; it's amazing.

Duma

• forum hero
#1213 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 05, 2021, 10:42:46 pm
Thanks for the heads up, I love The Living Mountain.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1214 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 05, 2021, 11:31:58 pm
The 1979 Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy series is on iPlayer at the moment. One of the best things ever on the tele.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1215 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 06, 2021, 07:46:33 am
Oh fab, thank you. I own the DVDs but think a friend's got them right now.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1216 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 06, 2021, 08:06:21 am
Surprised no-one has mentioned Mare of Easttown yet. Seems like the papers (well, the Guardian anyway) are talking about nothing else. We stalled near the end of episode 6 last night, but hope to finish it tonight.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1217 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 06, 2021, 10:04:07 am
The 1979 Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy series is on iPlayer at the moment. One of the best things ever on the tele.

Ace.  Thanks for the tip FD

remus

• forum hero
#1218 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 11, 2021, 08:10:17 am
Surprised no-one has mentioned Mare of Easttown yet. Seems like the papers (well, the Guardian anyway) are talking about nothing else. We stalled near the end of episode 6 last night, but hope to finish it tonight.

Thanks for the recommendation, finished this a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. So good to have some decent characters, really elevates it above the usual crime drama stuff.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1219 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 11, 2021, 08:39:56 am

Thanks for the recommendation, finished this a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. So good to have some decent characters, really elevates it above the usual crime drama stuff.

We did finish that night and I enjoyed it too, despite not being much in to crime drama (that said, I was not totally convinced by the ending - saying that is not a spoiler). It's set in a very specific part of Pennsylvania, one I know well, and it was funny spotting all the very local references they'd obviously deliberately put in for people from the region. Winslet's accent was mostly very good but occasionally rather wobbly.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1220 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 11, 2021, 11:28:40 am
I really enjoyed this over a few nights:

Time

A prisoner consumed by guilt, an officer with an impossible choice. What does it take to survive? A tense story of punishment and principles, starring Sean Bean and Stephen Graham.

Great performances by Sean Bean and Stephen Graham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p09fs2qh/time?seriesId=p09fs2tp

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1221 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 17, 2021, 09:37:33 am
I realize I'm a year late to this party, but I May Destroy You really is as good as everyone says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000jyxy/i-may-destroy-you

Obviously HUGE content warnings for rape and sexual assault, and it goes to some very emotionally-uncomfortable places, so not something to watch unless you're in the right headspace for it, but holy shit it's good.

ali k

• junky
#1222 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 17, 2021, 11:15:23 am
I really enjoyed this over a few nights:
Time
Yep - brilliant I thought.
As well as being a good drama it touches on all sorts of questions about the criminal justice system and its function/failings.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#1223 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 17, 2021, 11:50:38 am
I enjoyed Pine Gap on Netflix but I think it requires a lot of suspension of disbelief (if not then fucking hell!  :o). It’s pretty low key and isn’t getting a second season.

I watched the first episode of Time but, whilst I’m ok with cartoonish violence, I couldn’t enjoy it because I felt uncomfortable with where it was going.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1224 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 17, 2021, 02:37:44 pm

Now other people can hate Andrew Wakefield just as much as I do! Which, speaking as an autistic person, is a lot.

Did I mention I want everyone to hate Andrew Wakefield just as much as I do? Because I really, really do.

"Vaccines: A Measured Response" by hbomberguy, perhaps most famous for "Sherlock Is Garbage, And Here's Why":

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal