UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 425557 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1150 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 09, 2021, 09:21:24 am
Worst Journey in the World is long, but a fascinating account of the hardships, not just on the Polar trek, but the other ones they did while there, some of which sound more brutal.

Halfway through this and can confirm it is good but long.

I was relieved to find the back 20 or so pages are a reference section. I'm currently wading through Into The Silence and was pleased to find the same with reference section at the back.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1151 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 09, 2021, 10:29:50 am
Anyone know if you can get the second series of The Terror then?

As far as I can see it's only on US Amazon Prime?

slab_happy

• forum hero

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1153 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 15, 2021, 10:58:30 am
Of interest to the Terror-watchers?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/mar/14/what-happened-on-hms-terror-divers-plan-return-to-franklin-wrecks

What's interesting, but which isn't mentioned in the article, is that there is some doubt as to how the ships ended up in the locations where their wrecks were found. We know where the ships were abandoned because we have a primary source for that in the form of the note left in the cairn at Victory Point. We know that all men left the ships (not leaving a party behind as was shown in The Terror) because this is also recorded in the note. There is some speculation that the location the wrecks were found in is highly unlikely to have been achieved by them simply drifting before becoming wrecked. Inuit accounts which were largely dismissed in the aftermath of the expedition have generally been proven accurate and these state that men were seen on the deck of the ship before it sank.
So it's possible that some of the party that headed south turned around (perhaps seeing the beginnings of a thaw?) and headed back to the ships and were able to sail them south before meeting their end.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1154 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 16, 2021, 12:21:44 pm
Bloodlands

having seen all of this, if people are considering it, I'd say its watchable and worthwhile but not exceptional. It seemed a little confused and not up to the stuff which Mercurio has written rather than produced. The premise is good, however, and it certainly has some effective tension. I find that James Nesbitt can overact to a slightly irritating degree though, but he's pretty popular so other may not find this. 6.7/10

Ged

• junky
#1155 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 16, 2021, 05:59:51 pm
Bloodlands

having seen all of this, if people are considering it, I'd say its watchable and worthwhile but not exceptional. It seemed a little confused and not up to the stuff which Mercurio has written rather than produced. The premise is good, however, and it certainly has some effective tension. I find that James Nesbitt can overact to a slightly irritating degree though, but he's pretty popular so other may not find this. 6.7/10

I agree. Its good, but I'm trying really hard to think it's better than it is, and failing. Hasn't hooked me in the same way as line of duty did. Worthwhile though.

ali k

• junky
#1156 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 16, 2021, 06:47:28 pm
Bloodlands
I find that James Nesbitt can overact to a slightly irritating degree though, but he's pretty popular so other may not find this.
You’re not the only one. He basically just gurned and grimaced for a solid hour each episode. I stuck with it to the end but don’t think I’ll watch series 2 for that reason.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1157 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 09:14:15 am
Anyone with a love of sci fi, CGI and a bit of humour, check out Love, Death & Robots on Neflix. All short stories (longest is 15 minutes) and all very different, but the ones I've seen are all great so far.

Definitely not family viewing, swearing, sex and extreme violence in some of them.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80174608

TobyD

• forum hero
#1158 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 02:28:41 pm
New season of Line of Duty so far just as brilliant as previous ones. I am ashamed to admit that I now find it annoying when I can't binge episode after episode of something I'm enjoying though. (BBC)

Also recently watched Grace (ITV), which I'd say is serviceable, but not amazing police procedural drama. John Sim is pretty good in it though, and it's refreshingly uncomplicated compared to the wilfully baffling nature of some TV drama, although Jed Mercurio pulls this off very well in LOD. It's not that I don't understand them, but sometimes you just don't want to concentrate particularly hard, y'know?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1159 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 03:05:04 pm
Rick Stein’s Cornwall - easy viewing and I know he’s a bit marmite, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of history, interesting people and stories, sweeping drone shots of the countryside plus loads of lovely recipes. I bought some Cornish saffron from the farm that was featured and plan to make some buns for Easter.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1160 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 04:16:49 pm
We saw this, went a bit further and got some Cornish sparkling wine...   :???: L also made the buns and they were excellent.

Rick Stein is something of a conundrum in our house. L will always put him on, then spend half the time gushing that he chooses the exact right recipes, half the time complaining about his orientalist quoting of Kipling and other nonsense. He still picks good destinations though and we are enthused to visit both Cornwall and Calcutta off the back of his shows.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1161 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 04:25:05 pm
Rick Stein’s Cornwall - easy viewing and I know he’s a bit marmite limited edition organic yeast extract, served in hand crafted artisan created glass jar

Fixed :)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1162 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 07:41:15 pm
We saw this, went a bit further and got some Cornish sparkling wine...   :???: L also made the buns and they were excellent.

Rick Stein is something of a conundrum in our house. L will always put him on, then spend half the time gushing that he chooses the exact right recipes, half the time complaining about his orientalist quoting of Kipling and other nonsense. He still picks good destinations though and we are enthused to visit both Cornwall and Calcutta off the back of his shows.

Rick rocks. Kids and adults all love him here. There is family enthusiasm for a Cornish road trip which is no bad thing...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1163 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 07:46:31 pm
New season of Line of Duty so far just as brilliant as previous ones. I am ashamed to admit that I now find it annoying when I can't binge episode after episode of something I'm enjoying though. (BBC)

A useful website for those, who like me, have occasional recall / confusion issues with these complex crime dramas is Killing Times.  It does episode recaps / reviews of Line of Duty, Unforgotten, Spiral, the various "Nordic Noirs".   Maybe not as good as the ones the Guardian used to do, but beneficial in their absence.

https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/ 

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1164 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 07:52:29 pm

Indeed - I was a newcomer to LOD at the start of Series 5, watched that on its own with my other half (an avid fan) and then we caned all of the previous series on catchup over last summer.

I will preface this by saying yes, it is very good. And yes, it is well-written. And yes, the plot is enjoyably twisty-turny.

BUT...

I am on the brink of losing it with some of the commentariat on Twitter gushing about it being "the best cop show / crime drama on TV EVER".

I mean - haven't these people ever seen The Wire?

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#1165 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 08:04:33 pm

[/quote]

BUT...

I am on the brink of losing it with some of the commentariat on Twitter gushing about it being "the best cop show / crime drama on TV EVER".

[/quote]

Totally agree! I really like Line of Duty but The Wire is in another league

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1166 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 09:23:42 pm
@Sean, Chris and Shurt 😊

Sean, W’s wine/beer shop is opening on Friday. I’ll send you a PM 👍

TobyD

• forum hero
#1167 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 10:45:34 pm

No I haven't! I'd like to but it's not available on any streaming service I have and I don't want to spend 50 quid on DVDs. Also true of The Sopranos. 

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1168 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 22, 2021, 10:55:28 pm
Line of Duty YES
Unforgotten STILL YES
The Expanse YES
The Wire YES (although it dragged on towards the end. Sorry shoot me)

Isn't TV brilliant

Ben Tye and his food DOUBLE YES

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#1169 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 07:03:11 am
Just watched Season 1 of The Bridge (Scandinavian police series) which I can heartily recommend. On iPlayer

TobyD

• forum hero
#1170 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 07:57:04 am
Just watched Season 1 of The Bridge (Scandinavian police series) which I can heartily recommend. On iPlayer

Enjoy, it gets better as it progresses through all four seasons. Hopefully they'll make more!

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1171 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 07:57:12 am
Land of Mine .. very moving and harrowing look at some young German POWs ( part  of the 2000+)  working on clearing the mines from Danish beaches after WW2.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000th6y/land-of-mine

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1172 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 08:29:29 am

No I haven't! I'd like to but it's not available on any streaming service I have and I don't want to spend 50 quid on DVDs. Also true of The Sopranos.

If you take out a free trial of Now TV its on there, you get a week for free which should be enough to smash through season 1. Ditto the Sopranos and Succession.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1173 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 08:38:27 am

Worth a look in dodgy second hand / charity shops once open, there are usually a season or two in there. I only watched Season 1 & 2 when they were on (digibox was full!) and need to catch the rest.

RobK

• stalker
#1174 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 23, 2021, 08:53:32 am
I picked up a DVD boxset off ebay for less than £20 a few months back, there were loads of them. Still not actually got round to start watching it though!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal