UKBouldering.com

On the way to NW Scotland (Read 5559 times)

MB

• regular
On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 12:44:34 pm
In a couple of weeks I am heading North over the border to check out the NW of Scotland, as I have never been that way before. I am planing to stop off at some venues on the way. These are the areas that I have in mind

Glen Core and The Brack
Torridon
Reiff
then end up at Sandwood Bay

On the way back, if time, I will go to Skye

I have the Bouldering in Scotland guide, and whilst I expect that there will be plenty of exploring and seeing whats there, any other useful info or topos wouldn't go amiss. Or any other places that are worth checking out climbing or non climbing related?

Mike.

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#1 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 01:33:41 pm
hi mike just got back from northwest scotland ace spot did  far amount of bouldering around torridon there's load of potential spotted plenty of new blocs even some sport climbing around gairloch and further north loads of ace munro's to bag will ring you  or see you at the crag/board dave  ps the fishing is ace ;D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 02:39:11 pm
Heading North to Applecross & Torridon for a week tomorrow to say I'm  :bounce: is an understatement :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 02:39:21 pm
Have a look at recent postings on the Stone Country Blog - John Watson posted some info there. Near Sandwood bay is some limited bouldering at low tide on Polin beach, as well as the headland north of Oldshoremore. If you walk to the end of the headland, crossing a small rocky inlet and then drop down onto tidal platforms on the N side and walk back, there are a few nice probs above platforms.

Ardmair beach has a couple of good problems in a low deep cave, and is 5 mins from parking. Park on left as you drop into Ardmair, then walk back along pebble beach to cave. Can be a bit damp and midgy, but great in the late afternoon sun, and a good legstretch on the long drive.

Also take a pair of cheap wellies and a tarp or two, the ground can get a bit boggy when walking and under some boulders, esp ship at Torridon.

As per links in link above, Scottishclimbs has loads of topos.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 02:40:26 pm
Heading North to Applecross & Torridon for a week tomorrow to say I'm  :bounce: is an understatement :)

Gneiss one (sorry). What you got your eye on? You got Gary Latter Guide or SMC?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 02:50:16 pm

Gneiss one (sorry). What you got your eye on? You got Gary Latter Guide or SMC?

:lol: very good, keeping up your run of good form on puns.

My eye is on anything thats dry since the forecast isn't that great according to the Met Office for the next five days!  Happy to do whatever really, friends have gone to Applecross a few years in a row now so have a better idea.  Hopefully lots of classics, but happy to do anything, its a week away from the shit hole I currently work at with a bunch of idiots (actually thats not fair, most people I work with are ok, its the managers who are a problem!).  :)

Grabbed the SMC select the other day (usually prefer to get club guides as they do lots of the leg work on access issues etc. etc.).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 03:13:43 pm
Good stuff. Weather is not great at the moment, take fishing gear and walking boots / wellies!

Probably worth getting the comprehensive SMC Guide, Northern Highlands South or Central (or both, division is odd).

Cioch Nose is OK in damp conditions, I would personally do it as a rock route rather than a mountain route, the walk off the top gets tedious, rather do two abs down gully on left at end of difficulties. Sword of Gideon on Bealach Road is good, first pitch OK, Second is excellent. and short approach. Seana Mheallan at Torridon looks good. Diabaig is quite a drive, but worth it, remote spot with great routes.

PM if you want any info at any time, don't want to bore you to tears.

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#8 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 03:45:03 pm
Yes take the fishing rod and a couple of great evenings fishing at sheldraig(sp) :bounce: also seems to be a lot of unclimbed bloc's around torridon/gairloch dave

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#9 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 03:49:53 pm
that should read had a couple of great evenings fishing at sheildaig  :bounce:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 27, 2009, 03:51:32 pm
Friend has comprehensive North/South guides to utilise.

Had clocked Cioch was do-able in the damp (guides says it bumps it up to VS).  Cheers for the other recommendations, I'm going to sit back and let others take the lead (worked when we went to Cornwall last year and Gogarth this year with the exception of not getting on DoWH's due to queues).

Don't own a fishing rod, but do have a new lens to play with :D

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 31, 2009, 02:42:49 pm
T'is very wet in Applecross today.

Went up Buchaille Etive Mor on Saturday in the wet.  Was aiming on doing Agag's Groove, but we managed to leave the guide book and map in the car, and whilst we think we found the correct first pitch soon went off onto some zero-star variation.  Great day out though.

Climbed up on Seana Mheallan a sandstone crag in Torridon yesterday, three cracking HVS's done despite the damp (In The Groove, Rowantree Crack and Rejection (my lead)).

King Scallops in the Applecross Inn were delicious.

Hopefully going to do Cioch Nose tomorrow, going to walk in from the top and scramble/abb down.

T'is great up here though, can't believe its taken me this long to drag my sorry arse up here!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
August 31, 2009, 05:02:28 pm
Is it possible to get lost on Agag's? The line is visible from space!!!!

Guess where the diff goes :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
September 05, 2009, 09:27:18 am

Helps if you can see the crag  ::) (and bring the guide book with you rather than leaving it in the car  :-[ )

coolboy

• regular
#14 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
September 05, 2009, 10:09:28 am
Don't miss out Glen Nevis, got to be one of the best and most developed spots. The Heather hat boc and cameron stone are so easy to get to. Reiff in the Woods is the place to go at Reiff too

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#15 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
September 05, 2009, 07:43:00 pm

Guess where the diff goes :)

You think thats bad....
A friend of mine went off to do The Chasm one fine dry summers day, and ended doing June Crack, cos "it looked about right". He needed some training I tell ya  :P

And seriously, someone 'over-by' was asking if the Chasm might be ok for this weekend......bejesus.

As the man said, its not till you get there you feel and see what the NW is really all about. It didn't become that 'different country' cliche for no reason. Enjoy the rest of yer stay!

Sorry for OT bollox, few Stellas n no food yet.

Hi ho, hi ho, ist offff too drrink ew goggogogoog  :beer2:  :dance1:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#16 Re: On the way to NW Scotland
September 14, 2009, 02:57:00 pm
Chasm probably a good choice at the moment though - driest it's been all summer!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal