• Sheffield Boulder
SCIENCE!!!
August 22, 2009, 07:55:41 am

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: SCIENCE!!!
August 22, 2009, 09:19:44 am
CERN Podcast w/Chris Morris  :)

VIRUS! TROJAN!! (So AVAST! told me as all sorts of bells and whistles went off on my machine when I had a look at that link SL... )

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#2 Re: SCIENCE!!!
August 22, 2009, 12:04:00 pm
CERN Podcast w/Chris Morris  :)

VIRUS! TROJAN!! (So AVAST! told me as all sorts of bells and whistles went off on my machine when I had a look at that link SL... )

Ditto!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: SCIENCE!!!
August 23, 2009, 07:34:40 am
Apologies, didn't see any such problems here as I'm immune (under Linux), no harm intended.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#4 Re: SCIENCE!!!
August 23, 2009, 07:59:48 pm
Ahhh!  *taps nose*

Look at the lengths The Boffinator is going to to get us to use LINUX.   :whistle:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: SCIENCE!!!
August 24, 2009, 07:01:45 am
Ahhh!  *taps nose*

Look at the lengths The Boffinator is going to to get us to use LINUX.   :whistle:

:lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

andy_e

• forum hero
#7 Re: SCIENCE!!!
May 17, 2013, 10:57:20 am
 :lol: Amazing.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#9 Re: SCIENCE!!!
June 14, 2013, 09:50:25 am
Graphene can be made magentic....at the switch of a button opens potential for cheaper electronics.

I'm still waiting for my life to be revolutionized by carbon nanotubes, quantum dots, and low temperature superconductors.  Now excuse me whilst I hop on my mag-lev hover board to the space elevator terminal....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: SCIENCE!!!
June 14, 2013, 10:09:18 am
Science != commercial application.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#11 Re: SCIENCE!!!
June 14, 2013, 08:39:58 pm
If it those developments had just been reported as interesting physical phenomena, I wouldn't have taken the piss.  I have no problem with science purely for the sake of furthering knowledge.  It's the wild claims for everyday applications in the short term I find amusing.  Likely more the Uni press office's fault  than the academics I'd bet; although, sadly, these days a guaranteed commercial use does seem a prerequisite for funding these days.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: SCIENCE!!!
September 13, 2013, 12:51:58 pm
Graphene can be made magentic....at the switch of a button opens potential for cheaper electronics.

I'm still waiting for my life to be revolutionized by carbon nanotubes, quantum dots, and low temperature superconductors.  Now excuse me whilst I hop on my mag-lev hover board to the space elevator terminal....

Carbon nanotubes: in your carbon fibre bicycle, in parts for you car, or probably more pertinently, in the anode for the lithium ion battery for your mobile telephone that means you get much more battery life and can play angry birds rather than snake.  (Although obviously I fucking love snake, I will never forget watching a mate play the longest and best game of snake in a cinema because he was too scared to watch the blair witch project.)

low temperature semiconductors: in your MRI scanner, and less obviously, in mobile phone base stations,...

quantum dots: got me here, fuck knows, but I'm sure it'll be in your iphone 10 somehow.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#14 Re: SCIENCE!!!
September 13, 2013, 02:19:32 pm
No they're saving them for the 10S so that tomtom and underground get an upgrade.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#15 Re: SCIENCE!!!
September 13, 2013, 03:44:16 pm
I will never forget watching a mate play the longest and best game of snake in a cinema because he was too scared to watch the blair witch project.

... which you self-confessedly weren't watching either  :-\

i.munro

• junky
#16 Re: SCIENCE!!!
September 13, 2013, 04:31:27 pm

quantum dots: got me here, fuck knows, but I'm sure it'll be in your iphone 10 somehow.

white LEDs IIRC ie head torches.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#17 Re: SCIENCE!!!
September 13, 2013, 05:05:45 pm
While we're on the topic, I feel that science has deeply let me down.

When I was a boy in the 80s, science promised a better future. For example, Transformers: The Movie, set in 2005. Science was everywhere, kicking ass. Daniel's dad Spike worked on Moon Base 2. It's 2013 now and we don't even have one moon base for my dad to work at. Daniel owned a jet-powered hoverboard. Even the pink magneticky hoverboard out of Back to the Future hasn't been invented yet. Daniel's best friend was a giant transforming robot called Hot Rod. I don't have any robot friends, even of normal size without any transforming functions. I am OK with the fact I don't have any friends called Hot Rod. Daniel had a space suit that shot lasers and turned into a car. I don't even have an ordinary space suit. In fact, I don't have occasion to go into space at all. 

All the cool science stuff is from the past. Like Voyager: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24026153

We seem to have spent all our science powers on the internet. Which is cool, but means instead of working on Moon Base 2 I don't even need to leave my desk to do my job, using email.

In my opinion science needs to stop whining about creationists and MTFU and focus on the really cool stuff. Like teleports.

underground

• forum hero
#18 Re: SCIENCE!!!
September 13, 2013, 11:53:36 pm
No they're saving them for the 10S so that tomtom and underground get an upgrade.
:lol: I'm setting up ten bank accounts as soon as i get one you Berkeley Hunt  ;)

underground

• forum hero
#19 Re: SCIENCE!!!
September 13, 2013, 11:56:44 pm
Totally agreed Dr. R. I watched a bit of 'Harvest 2013' the other night. Phillipa Forrester has aged and seems to be wearing 'lifestyle surf casual' comfy garms, not a silver spacesuit that makes her look like Barbarella-next-door, but with a Zoology degree.... Rubbish.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: SCIENCE!!!
September 14, 2013, 07:53:22 am

In my opinion science needs to stop whining about creationists and MTFU and focus on the really cool stuff. Like teleports.

http://theconversation.com/teleportation-just-got-easier-but-not-for-you-unfortunately-17060

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#21 SCIENCE!!!
September 14, 2013, 09:23:52 am

http://theconversation.com/teleportation-just-got-easier-but-not-for-you-unfortunately-17060

Surely the key to "Teleportation" is not the breakdown, displacement and reassembly of particles; but the encasement and displacement of a volume of space-time? Which would not involve any measurement or disruption of the particles and therefore no Heisenberg dead ends?

Field technology and hyperspace are more likely  avenues?

See how I have posted as if this is actually important, or anything I have more than the faintest inkling of?

That's the result of a lazy Saturday morning, a pint of strong coffee brought back to bed, the invention of the iPad, quiet kids (for once) and far too much imagination.

Now, 'reckon I'll solve the Middle East problem and maybe think about some toast...

No...

Alpen.

Yep, that'll do it.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#22 Re: SCIENCE!!!
September 14, 2013, 01:15:17 pm
Of course it would probably be easier to make a (molecular/atomic) scan of someone at location X, destroy them, send the scan data to location Y and reconstruct them.

Which also happens to be the basis of myriad philosophical thought experiments, i.e. would it be teleportation, or would it be murder and the creation of a clone? What is personal identity? Does it depend on physical matter, structure, some kind of continuity or something else?

Back to essay writing!

:coffee:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#23 SCIENCE!!!
September 14, 2013, 09:17:55 pm
Given the Academic excellence prevalent on this forum, do we not have a theoretical Physicist to make us all feel dumb?

If you're there, are you really going to let an Engineer (a mere Technician) and a Philosopher (dreamer) indulge in such speculation?

Come! Enlighten us poor fools!

What is the most likely avenue of research; that may lead to teleportation.

Given that humanity has been unable to sort out Traffic congestion or devise a computer which does not crash every five minutes or explain Women.

And starts wars because " my mythical, fictitious deity is bigger than your mythical, fictitious deity and he/she/it loves us all more than yours does and really I'm killing you for your own good"....

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#24 SCIENCE!!!
September 14, 2013, 09:25:41 pm

Of course it would probably be easier to make a (molecular/atomic) scan of someone at location X, destroy them, send the scan data to location Y and reconstruct them.

Which also happens to be the basis of myriad philosophical thought experiments, i.e. would it be teleportation, or would it be murder and the creation of a clone? What is personal identity? Does it depend on physical matter, structure, some kind of continuity or something else?

Back to essay writing!

:coffee:

Actually...

(And here the wine might be kicking in).

This would surely provide definitive proof of the existence of the "soul".

Or not...

Should a human be destroyed and reconstructed in this way.

And should that resurrected human have all the memories, personality traits, etc, etc, of the original.

Then those features would, and could only be, products of the physical state of the body.

And therefore.

The soul cannot exist...

More wine please.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal