UKBouldering.com

backup software (Read 3310 times)

cofe

• forum hero
backup software
August 21, 2009, 11:53:29 pm
word. anyone got any recommendations for good (free), simple backup software? to be used for backing up/copying files from internal HD to another.

Ta.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: backup software
August 22, 2009, 08:11:12 am
What OS are you on?

If its a Mac then its based on *NIX and will likely have a command called rsync which is a very clever way of synchronising data from one location to another, be it one directory on your HD to another on an external HD or two computers of the net.

Fire up a terminal and see if the command rsync is installed by typing it and hitting return if so you should get all the options printed out.  Let us know if you want some examples but something like...

Code: [Select]
rsync -avz /home/cofe/* /mnt/usb/.

...would copy all the files in the directory /home/cofe/ to /mnt/usb/

The smart thing about rsync is when you come to do this again.  It checks to see when files were last modified and will only copy over from /home/cofe/* to /mnt/usb/ those files which have changed, and the really clever part is that it uses an algorithm (termed delta-transfer) to only copy the bits of the file that have changed (e.g. if you've edited only a section of a picture then only part of the file that relates to that will have changed, so only that will be copied over/updated).

If you're on windows you can get this feature by installing a UNIX-like shell called Cygwin which I (naturally!) find very handy when I have to use Windows computers, just make you select the rsync package for installation if you're going to try this out.

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Re: backup software
August 22, 2009, 09:26:31 am
thanks word. win7. that still sounds complicated. any other options?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: backup software
August 22, 2009, 09:28:01 am
RAID?  Or are you looking for something simpler?

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: backup software
August 22, 2009, 09:30:39 am
if i'm involved, simple is always better.  ;)

was turned off raid after a fairly big discussion on here a bit back bout it. just a little software program is all i'm after.

god it's hard to type on this little netbook.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: backup software
August 22, 2009, 09:32:09 am
thanks word. win7. that still sounds complicated. any other options?

If you're after something just to scan and back up files that have changed since you last backed up and pop them over to the hard drive - have a google, theres quite alot of freeware out there... plenty of options here http://free-backup.info/backup-software.htm

Not sure if any of these are any good, but I'd go for the simplest option... T

(thought about online back-up? I use mozy as I'm shite/lazy/incompetent at remembering to back up and mozy just sits in the background and backs up to some big server somewhere or other every few hours...?)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: backup software
August 22, 2009, 09:36:37 am
This may give you some clues, although not sure about free stuff.
I gave up on RAID in the end and just copy selected files to another drive, I don't even bother with software.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: backup software
August 22, 2009, 10:28:05 am
Google Syncback word. Free, does exactly what you're after. have used in the past though yet to check it works on Win 7.

bigd942

• addict
#8 Re: backup software
August 22, 2009, 10:38:16 am
Microsoft SyncToy - bit slow but easy to setup and use

dave

#9 Re: backup software
August 23, 2009, 07:52:19 pm
synctoy. piss and free. works.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: backup software
August 23, 2009, 11:01:39 pm
Just realised you can use SyncToy and run it as a scheduled task to automatically update.  I may have a go at that, save a bit of work.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: backup software
August 24, 2009, 04:40:38 pm
I was just going to try Synctoy but then I read:

Important NAS and SyncToy 2.0 Information
Please note that there are known issues when using SyncToy 2.0 with a Home NAS. When using a NAS, there is a chance of file corruption. This issue will be fixed in an upcoming release. Unfortunately there are no known workarounds for this issue with SyncToy 2.0.

Damn.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal