UKBouldering.com

Bandwidth and board stuff. (Read 4445 times)

gruff

Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 14, 2003, 03:52:12 pm
Hello!

I was just wondering how badly your phpBB board canes your bandwidth?

Obviously I'm not going to have half the visitors we have here. I'm thinking of ideas to make my site a little stickier.

Bandwidth wise; is a gig a month large enough to cope with a board?

Also, how large do the forums get, i.e. how much space will they take on my server?

Gruff

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 14, 2003, 03:58:41 pm
I downloaded the latest logs last night so I'll be able to give you a better idea when I've run the analyser on them, but anyway:

- phpBB is not the most bandwidth efficient board (I think Invision is more efficient, but then you have to pay for it). That said, the new (v2.2) version of phpBB is probably only a few months away now, and that promises to be far far better in all respects, and this is also the reason I'm holding fire on modifying this board any further as yet.
- I think all forums, once they get a regular set of visitors do use a lot of bandwidth, partly because people will refresh all the time to see new posts. Using small images would help a bit here, though once they're cached, this shouldn't be such an issue.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 14, 2003, 04:00:50 pm
- 1 gig p/month isn't a lot, but it depends what else is on your site. Videos obviously chew b/w up, but then, so do forums.
- I overrun my old hosts 4gig p/month limit very quickly once this board started, but currently haven't gone over the 40gig limit on my current host.
- The database is currently taking up about 20meg.

Sorry bout the brief answers, but I'm just nipping off home, can answer further later on....

dave

#3 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 14, 2003, 04:08:46 pm
just found that my website has used nearly 2gig of bandwidth alread this month, and we're not even half way through.

and 1.9 gig of that is within the last 5 days :shock:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 14, 2003, 05:45:40 pm
I use PHPbb on my site - http://tangled.tv/phpBB2 and really chose it cos of this one, my database will be much smaller than Bubs (1.8mb after pruning), and I only have about 20 users so I don't see oodles of bandwidth disappear.

Invision's really good, but as discussed earlier - you have to pay for it, but you can do some cool stuff, theres a 'Miserable user mod' which you can add users to a group if they piss you off, then it chooses pages to time out and strange errors to happen to them n stuff. Really useful that.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#5 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 14, 2003, 08:26:30 pm
Quote from: "dave"
just found that my website has used nearly 2gig of bandwidth alread this month, and we're not even half way through.

and 1.9 gig of that is within the last 5 days :shock:

I wonder why!  :?

dave

#6 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 14, 2003, 08:34:20 pm
jordan better not do any more routes for a month or so.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 15, 2003, 11:03:13 am
No, it's a piece of piss to maintain, and the install is very easy too.

You'll need PHP and MySQL on your server. Once it's set up, you adminster the forum via an admin page, and it's a good idea to occasionally optimize your MySQL tables, but that's pretty easy - I would advise installing phpmyadmin as a much easier way of administering MySQL than the command line client.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#8 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 15, 2003, 04:56:45 pm

Get some more cool clips loaded up.You guys have got about 200 meg to play with now!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 16, 2003, 06:23:50 pm
No trouble - what's your site btw?

Dunno, it depends on your host and your access. I've got root access to my server so can do what I want with it, but you might find your hosts sets it up for you.

One good approach is to set it all up on your local box to see how it all fits together, before putting it live.

So on your local box you could install Apache (or Windows Server xxxx, depending on which you're going with), PHP, MySQL, then phpmyadmin, then phpBB. The phpBB install is very easy and it'll take you through it step by step.  Basically all you do is set up an admin account, then delete some install files and you're away  :D

dave

#10 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 16, 2003, 07:28:34 pm
Quote from: "Adam Lincoln"

Get some more cool clips loaded up.You guys have got about 200 meg to play with now!

think kim's got some footage today of him doing obsession fatale and onsighting piece of mind!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 17, 2003, 11:41:26 am
think kim's got some footage today of him doing obsession fatale and onsighting piece of mind!

P.O.M. video is great - scary onsight!

squeek

• junky
#12 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 17, 2003, 01:07:50 pm
I was knocking round the roaches yesteday, I think Jordan was about to start up piece of mind when I went up to the boulders on the upper level.  Impressive, epsecially as the conditions weren't very good.

Someone in that group kept on shouting f|_|<k and the like, which isn't the best as there were a load of kids knocking about.

Anyone see the fell runner who was wearing almost nothing.  Soon as he went by, i thought what a nutcase, then about 15 mins later the nearest people to him in the race started going past.  He was a bit hardcore.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 17, 2003, 01:13:10 pm
Quote from: "squeek"
Someone in that group kept on shouting f|_|<k and the like, which isn't the best as there were a load of kids knocking about.

Do you mean FUCK  :D
We can swear on this board.....probably someone psyching up or getting scared. Although I don't go out of my way to swear in front of kids, I'm a firm believer that swearing is just part of our language. Come to think of it, most kids can probably outswear me anyway....

Anyone see the fell runner who was wearing almost nothing.
Fell runners are a strange breed.

dave

#14 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 17, 2003, 07:22:31 pm

i wasn't there, but that sound like barson to me - the "wannabee-nigga".

JR

• forum abuser
#15 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 17, 2003, 07:53:29 pm
That'll be barson....

spoon loving mother fucker

dave

#16 Bandwidth and board stuff.
November 17, 2003, 07:58:32 pm
we have to get the bleeping machine working overtime on my main man Barson. if he does it again i will cut his teeth out  - thats right, i'm a bad invisible teeth-cutting-out muthfukka.

shamone!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal