UKBouldering.com

Dumbarton (Read 4093 times)

Rhys

• menacing presence
Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 04:17:38 pm
I was just thinking about this magical place and wondering if anyone else has climbed there?
I'm a really big fan, in fact after being kicked out of Uni in Edinburgh I still used to make a regular pilgramage from North Wales about every 3 weeks. Havn't been for a while, but I want to go back to finish off the classics. Anybody done anything there?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 05:50:24 pm
I've been there quite a few times - I was working up in Glasgow for near on a couple of years not so long ago just when I was getting back into bouldering again.

I thought the climbing was good, though the ambience leaves a little to be desired, to say the least. It'd be a nice position below the castle if it weren't for all the glass, graffiti and strange local kids hanging about, but hey, that's all part of the spice of the place I suppose.

Though I didn't finish many problems off, those I was trying were good.

Rhys

• menacing presence
#2 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 06:02:15 pm
Yeah, nobody believes some of the things that I've seen there- kids setting off fireworks at people on the eagle slab, a well spaced out dude dropping a MASSIVE kitchen knife in front of us and some 14ish year old girls offering blow jobs for fags- crazy place, but great climbing.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 06:11:59 pm
Never saw anything that bad, but I can easily believe it. Don't think Dumbarton is high on my desirable places to live list...

Rhys

• menacing presence
#4 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 06:33:17 pm
Admittedly they were by far the worst things I saw, I just remember the day I got Slap Happy and Mugsy for the first time- probably the best day climbing I've ever had as I'd been trying to nail those two for ages. :D

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#5 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 06:49:41 pm
Some good moves in a 'unique' setting.....
Slap Happy is very good and some other bits and pieces were excellent.
justa shame bout the Patriotic rubbish graffitti eh ant!  :wink:

Rhys

• menacing presence
#6 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 07:10:01 pm
Aye, many a time sat sheltering from the rain under the Whip, having a smoke and trying to figure out the graffiti along In Bloom ('It would be as easy as to turn back the ocean as to stop the agitation untill justice has been done to the people Bam Bam' - I think).
I remember one epic session where the rain was collecting on the lip and just before a drop fell it would refract the light so it kind of went from green to red then a brilliant white then fall. It is one of the most beatiful things I've ever seen (if a little hard to describe) and just goes to show that you really can find beauty in the most unexpected places.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#7 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 07:14:35 pm
Quote from: "Rhys"
it would refract the light so it kind of went from green to red then a brilliant white then fall.

no drugs involved then

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 07:16:21 pm
Quote from: "Rhys"
I remember one epic session where the rain was collecting on the lip and just before a drop fell it would refract the light so it kind of went from green to red then a brilliant white then fall. It is one of the most beatiful things I've ever seen (if a little hard to describe) and just goes to show that you really can find beauty in the most unexpected places.

See http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/psychoactives.shtml   :P

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 07:19:59 pm
Damn, you beat me to it Fatboy....

Rhys

• menacing presence
#10 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 07:22:44 pm
Nothing heavy just some nice green- there were two of us there and we both saw it so I don't think I was going crazy. It was quite incredible.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 07:32:19 pm
Sorry Rhys, just being a cynical ex-mushie freak  :wink:

I love moments like that - bizarrely, now I'm commuting again through all weathers, I've had some amazingly beautiful moments on the M1 of all places.

In fact one of the best moments of my life in that vein (and totally drug free) was taking off from a frozen and snow-covered lake in Canada in a helicopter - the rotors were making the snow flow out like water and everything was bathed in orange sunlight - I was blubbing like a baby with the beauty of it all. Awesome  :D

Rhys

• menacing presence
#12 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 07:59:31 pm
Cheers man,
It's amazing what you see sometimes isn't it! :D  I think thats why I love climbing so much, some of the places you go to give incredible aesthetic experiences- I'd so much rather go to Parisillas and see the Little Orme being bathed in a soft red light at sunset than just slump at home watching TV waiting for the next working day to roll along.  :D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 08:09:00 pm
Absolutely - one of the best things about climbing is the places it takes you that you just wouldn't go see otherwise.....spent many a night sleeping in Parisillas back when the first sport boom was going down at Trwyn and saw some fine sunrises out over the bay.

dave

#14 Dumbarton
November 13, 2003, 11:51:45 pm
one of the best thing i ever saw was during my brief dabble inalpinism when i took this photo on my old compact:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=344

pretty special

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Dumbarton
November 14, 2003, 12:01:13 am
Quote from: "the owen"
easy now boys!

Nooooo!! Not....that place!!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#16 Dumbarton
November 14, 2003, 12:02:30 am
Quote from: "dave"
was during my brief dabble in alpinism

I'm sorry, but the midi cable car doesn't count as alpinism  :wink:

dave

#17 Dumbarton
November 14, 2003, 09:06:27 am
eat a dick! i had to get up at the muthafukking crack of dawn to get that shot! and it weren't the midi cable car, we got off at the grand mulet (sp?).

dom

• addict
#18 Dumbarton
November 14, 2003, 04:49:18 pm
I regularly climb in dumbarton and have to agree its excellent although its setting isn't exactly the best.  But once you've get on the problems, you don't really think about that.  I've done all the classics up to about br 6b.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#19 Dumbarton
November 14, 2003, 05:50:14 pm
Quote from: "dave"
grand mulet

Was Pat King there?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal