UKBouldering.com

Lizard bouldering (Read 4372 times)

pabs

• regular
Lizard bouldering
July 30, 2009, 12:11:34 am
Any info on bouldering on the Lizard peninsula? Going on a family holiday there in September and hoping to get a little climbing in.

I've searched here, Javu, blocspenwith etc with no joy. There must be summat at kynance or mullion but I cant find any info.

Anyone been there?

deacon

• addict
#1 Re: Lizard bouldering
July 30, 2009, 06:50:19 am
I'm not a local but go down there about 6-7 times a year (have family in Mullion). If any locals have advice I'd love to here it.
 All the climbing i've done down there has definitely needed a rope. Your best bet would be to head over to St ives (Clodgy), or Godrevy.  Some good bouldering and really good online guides. Also take the family up to Carn Brea, there are realy nice views over the whole of Cornwall, a nice restaurant and some really good bouldering. The rock is f'ing sharp and eats skin. No guide for Carn Brea but locals are really helpful.
 All these places are only 30-40 minutes from Mullion.

pabs

• regular
#2 Re: Lizard bouldering
July 30, 2009, 02:29:47 pm
Thanks deacon - Carn Brea looks interesting.
I guess I'll just poke around the coves near where we are staying (Lizard) and see what i can find. Theres got to be something on all that interesting geology in the area.

Spanish John

• regular
#3 Re: Lizard bouldering
July 30, 2009, 03:38:31 pm
Then you can let us know of any routes, grades etc...!

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#4 Re: Lizard bouldering
July 30, 2009, 04:30:34 pm
Any info on bouldering on the Lizard peninsula? Going on a family holiday there in September and hoping to get a little climbing in.

I've searched here, Javu, blocspenwith etc with no joy. There must be summat at kynance or mullion but I cant find any info.

Anyone been there?

there's lots of stuff around Kynance for messing around, traverses and elimates etc, the wave washed rock is ok, some of the rest is loose. I've only poked around and have found some good stuff as well. Its 40mins or so from Penwith which has left it relatively unexplored, so very interested to hear what you find?

pabs

• regular
#5 Re: Lizard bouldering
August 01, 2009, 11:21:00 pm
I'll report back.

I didn't think I'd be blazing a trail (as if) in a previously unexplored area.

granticus

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Lizard bouldering
August 05, 2009, 04:17:39 pm
Carn Brea is great, you could mission it up to Clodgy (St Ives) or Godrevy loads of info. on Andy W's website.

However, I'd recomend registering on RockFax and getting the free download for DWS is Cornwall which details a few quality little spots on the Lizard, no need for ropes or a crash pad and you won't have to travel far at all.  The sea will be at it's warmest in September and hopefully there won't be any swell to ruin your fun!

http://www.rockfax.com/publications/books/item.php?id=132

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal