UKBouldering.com

why is it... (Read 54876 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#50 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 01:16:24 pm
Way I see it, he had a go at a problem you were going to do and fell off.

Perfect opportunity to chalk and blow your way up it in major showboating style.  ;D

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#51 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 02:52:57 pm
so, you'd be happy if when you're indoor bouldering in a centre that's 1/4 full, and some kidda comes along whilst you're checking out a route and more or less says that he's gonna do that  route..?

Yes. I do it regularly. However I (and the " dumb prick") have no idea what problem you are about to attempt. If it happens to be the one which I also want to do, then that's just a coincidence. The chances are, he merely wants to try all the problems in the yellow and black circuit (or however it works there), and you just happen to be standing in the way of one of them.

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#52 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 03:13:03 pm
so, you'd be happy if when you're indoor bouldering in a centre that's 1/4 full, and some kidda comes along whilst you're checking out a route and more or less says that he's gonna do that  route..?

Yes. I do it regularly. However I (and the " dumb prick") have no idea what problem you are about to attempt. If it happens to be the one which I also want to do, then that's just a coincidence. The chances are, he merely wants to try all the problems in the yellow and black circuit (or however it works there), and you just happen to be standing in the way of one of them.

well, in that case I'd just think 'what an ignorant cunt...' as if I'm literally a few feet away from the wall and and checking out the route then some bloke wants to do the same spot as me when there's loads of other spaces (i.e. 3/4 empty), well, actually thinking about it - I'd just think you were a bit strange and walk away quick as... :D

I'm sorry - uinless you're just trying to wind you up - then maybe this sport just attracts strange people..?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#53 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 03:16:45 pm
I think we have 2 issues here- one being someone trying a problem you are standing there looking at, the other being shirt wearing (or lack thereof).

I don't have a problem if someone asks if they can try a problem, I can always say "no, I'm about to crush it to fuck".  If I was obviously about to do it and they did an Alpine Frenchy, I'd think they were a dick.

Shirts?  I still can't see an issue.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#54 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 03:21:16 pm
There is nothing wrong with narcissism (except for the way I try to spell it). A bit of healthy self-love is good for the soul. If it gets out of hand (pathological), then there's nothing anyone can do about it - the sufferer won't want to risk being exposed as anything less than perfect and treatment for this type of disorder doesn't work anyway. Shirts off at walls is just a fact - asking why helps only in providing a more colourful description of the event.

Gimp suits at walls is a more interesting area of study
Having personal experience of wearing a gimp suit at the wall I can tell you that the ball gag is the least of one's problems (Seb dressed as a scotsman holding the leash in one hand and a bottle of scotch in the other did however make climbing more difficult).

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#55 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 03:41:16 pm
well, in that case I'd just think 'what an ignorant cunt...' as if I'm literally a few feet away from the wall and and checking out the route then some bloke wants to do the same spot as me when there's loads of other spaces (i.e. 3/4 empty), well, actually thinking about it - I'd just think you were a bit strange and walk away quick as... :D

I'm sorry - uinless you're just trying to wind you up - then maybe this sport just attracts strange people..?

Fair enough, I wouldn't jump in front if you were about to give it a go, but if you were just standing there, doing fuck all for a couple of minutes, I'd probably just get bored and go for it (with your permission of course).

nik at work

• forum hero
#56 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 03:56:00 pm
I'm sorry are we talking about a boulder problem or a route here? If it's a route and you're stood there SYKE-ing up with belayer pre-attached and hands buried in the chalk bag then of course only a goon would try and push ahead.
However if we are talking a boulder problem here, which you are stood vaguely near and possibly looking at (although there are several different problems on this particular bit of wall so the non-psychic amongst us don't have a fucking clue what you're looking at) coupled with the fact that it takes precisely fuck all time to try a boulder problem anyway, then the guy was just been courteous (as, in my experience, the vast majority of climbers are). You have no idea why he wanted to try this problem, maybe he's been trying it for several weeks, maybe it's part of a circuit, maybe it's part of a timed training regime he's undertaking, maybe he just thinks it looks like a good problem. Or maybe any number of other reasons. Whatever he took the time to ask you, as someone just stood nearby, if it was alright if he had a go, then he had a go. You even said "yeah" when he asked if he could try it, and then you berate him for going on and trying it WITH YOUR PERMISSION. Fucks sake. The question of whether or not he was wearing a top is immaterial, the more pertinent question is "are you on drugs?"

What a shit waste of time bollocksy lot of bollocks, stick to photographs you seem to be good at them.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#57 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 04:04:08 pm
 :lol:

clm

• forum hero
#58 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 04:23:51 pm
Out of interest... how did they actually let you know that they werent too happy about it?

Did they turn round and leave?  Weep?  what?

they were next to me and were taking the p8ss out of them - but, not at them, just talking amongst themselves...

Im not sure about you but having something to take the piss of usually makes an outing somewhat more fun...my massive head, jims gut, denses age/tiny head, worms diminutive status, dolyes sexual practices (i dont even know hIm) etc. etc.

Perhaps they were enjoying a little sport at above mentioned bumpy's expense.

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#59 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 08:42:25 pm
I'm sorry are we talking about a boulder problem or a route here? If it's a route and you're stood there SYKE-ing up with belayer pre-attached and hands buried in the chalk bag then of course only a goon would try and push ahead.
However if we are talking a boulder problem here, which you are stood vaguely near and possibly looking at (although there are several different problems on this particular bit of wall so the non-psychic amongst us don't have a fucking clue what you're looking at) coupled with the fact that it takes precisely fuck all time to try a boulder problem anyway, then the guy was just been courteous (as, in my experience, the vast majority of climbers are). You have no idea why he wanted to try this problem, maybe he's been trying it for several weeks, maybe it's part of a circuit, maybe it's part of a timed training regime he's undertaking, maybe he just thinks it looks like a good problem. Or maybe any number of other reasons. Whatever he took the time to ask you, as someone just stood nearby, if it was alright if he had a go, then he had a go. You even said "yeah" when he asked if he could try it, and then you berate him for going on and trying it WITH YOUR PERMISSION. Fucks sake. The question of whether or not he was wearing a top is immaterial, the more pertinent question is "are you on drugs?"

What a shit waste of time bollocksy lot of bollocks, stick to photographs you seem to be good at them.

yep - it was a route and I was figuring out how to do the last bit (at the top)...

I think I'm just too polite...next time I'm there and if it's quiet - I'll just wander over to where some person / people are and ask if I can climb where they are (when the place is 1/4 empty) and if they say something like 'wtf?' - I'll reply...'hey, it's what the nice on ukbouldering do...they are happy just to wander over and instead of either looking for a quiet spot to climb, or wait patiently, they just ask for you to move over while they climb instead'.

job done...as you can tell I'm new at this game, but you learn something new everyday...  :thumbsup:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#60 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 08:55:18 pm

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#61 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 08:57:25 pm
yep - it was a route and I was figuring out how to do the last bit (at the top)...

I think I'm just too polite...next time I'm there and if it's quiet - I'll just wander over to where some person / people are and ask if I can climb where they are (when the place is 1/4 empty) and if they say something like 'wtf?' - I'll reply...'hey, it's what the nice on ukbouldering do...they are happy just to wander over and instead of either looking for a quiet spot to climb, or wait patiently, they just ask for you to move over while they climb instead'.

job done...as you can tell I'm new at this game, but you learn something new everyday...  :thumbsup:

Therein lies the problem. I personally assumed that as you were writing on a bouldering thread, that you were talking about a boulder problem at the wall. If it was in fact a route, then here is a webpage which may well pander to you a bit more.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#62 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:00:57 pm
I personally assumed that as you were writing on a bouldering thread, that you were talking about a boulder problem

Me too  :guilty:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#63 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:10:27 pm

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#64 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:11:36 pm
This is the shittest thread in some time; I regret helping it along earlier.  

Why won't it die?!    :furious:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#65 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:21:08 pm
All the best shit threads develop a life of their own, going hideously off topic before imploding to leave a steaming turd.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#66 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:25:41 pm
All the best shit threads develop a life of their own, going hideously off topic before imploding to leave a steaming turd.

Sorry. Couldn't find an exploding version.

DannyBoy

• Stalker Book
#67 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:27:10 pm
Glad to hear its banned at redpoint, I used to travel there with 2 lady friends to boulder.  Upon our arrival the same idiots would always seem to be jumping around doing ridiculous dyno's they had no hope of achieving, falling all over the fucking place quite dangerously with no regard to whats going on around them, continuing there machismo by proceding to take their tops off whilst they conversed monotone bullshit loud enough for the near by bakery to take orders.  It seemed strange that every time we moved round the relatively empty centre they would appear at our sides within minutes.

I found it great, as I simply bouldered at the opposite floor of the wall to my female friends, thus avoiding both engaging in mindless natter with the females and having to compete for wall space with the incessantly loud captain littlecock and his followers.  Unfortunately, my friends eventually sickened and decided they wanted to go to a different wall.

If you sweat that much, buy a fucking technical-tee like everybody else in the world of sport.  If you still find yourself running that hot you need to force your pale ugly wet body on everyone else, stick some fucking fish under your arms you hero you.  Its perfectly acceptable in the confines of your own wall, and acceptable outside when the suns out, but in a public gym environment you don't make the girls drool, you make them gag.

/rant

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#68 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:35:29 pm
If you sweat that much, buy a fucking technical-tee like everybody else in the world of sport.

So you want me to pay to get in some sweatfest of a wall, plus buy a gimmicky bullshit shirt on top of that?

Do you think these annoying people will become less annoying if they wore branded T-shirts?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#69 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:36:52 pm
Fuck it. I can't resist an urge to throw in 2pence just the once.

Why do all the people who seemingly have a problem with this most beautiful of homoerotic practices seem to refer to the difficulty of the problems/routes being tried? People take their tops off for three reasons:

1. They are genuinely fucking boiling and the tight arsed climbing wall manager will never  construct a ventilation system be it passive or mechanically assisted. The only resort is to shed a skin.

2. They are confident in their ability and body and want you to revere it.

3. They have seen the above do it, have been climbing for 3 months and assume it's the done thing much like a baby imitates its mother.

Personally I never take my top off because the day I do, I'm positive it will be the day I climb font 8c. As that day doesn't look to come anytime in the immediate future, I'll stick to my modified owl vest and enjoy reading people  jealously equate grades to an absence of clothing.

aly

• addict
#70 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:48:49 pm

Eh?  Your original post says "...that when some blokes go indoor bouldering..."
And you moan about this guy at DCC.  Is that Durham Climbing Centre? - do they have routes there, thought it was just bouldering??
I'd wad Nik if I could figure out how to do it.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#71 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:49:51 pm
Vests on for power!
Could follow your lead, maybe next Christmas?

Please, let it be one of these. Allez!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#72 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:52:03 pm
Very close stallioni!!! Absolutely love the top one. Could you pm me a link to buy it at all? Mine is my best possession.               

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#73 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 09:58:44 pm
Then you'll adore these. Think Chuck Norris meets bedknobs and broomsticks

Hiiiiiiiii-Yaaaah

DannyBoy

• Stalker Book
#74 Re: why is it...
July 29, 2009, 10:08:04 pm
If you sweat that much, buy a fucking technical-tee like everybody else in the world of sport.

So you want me to pay to get in some sweatfest of a wall, plus buy a gimmicky bullshit shirt on top of that?

Do you think these annoying people will become less annoying if they wore branded T-shirts?

No, I want you to climb like this...

Of course, my argument goes completely out the window if the walls are saunas, or in soho.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal