UKBouldering.com

why is it... (Read 54963 times)

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
why is it...
July 28, 2009, 09:16:11 am
...that when some blokes go indoor bouldering they feel the need to do it topless..?

is it a throwback from their gym days..?  ::)

I was climbing last night and a couple of lasses came in and they weren't overly happy about it... :(

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 09:21:34 am
I only do it if I'm too hot in shorts and a T-shirt, so if the wall was that bothered they could invest in some decent air con.
In these days of sexual equality, there's nothing to stop the girls going topless too so I don't see what they are complaining about.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#2 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 09:26:23 am
I do it because my missus likes it and she must be obeyed.

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#3 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 09:37:20 am
so, it is a macho thing then...  8)

clm

• forum hero
#4 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 09:39:14 am
not with a torso like mine...

why did the girls not like it...weird...not like they get arsey at the swimming baths or beach.

Vitamin K

• addict
#5 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 09:41:18 am
I only do it if I'm too hot in shorts and a T-shirt, so if the wall was that bothered they could invest in some decent air con.

Quite right sir! I only get rid of the t-shirt when it's too hot - my performance goes completely downhill in any kind of heat. Anything that cools you down is worth doing in my book.

Most walls, especially at this time of year, are way too hot. Broughton in the winter however has been colder than outdoors on some occasions, which is great.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 09:42:49 am
...that when some blokes go indoor bouldering they feel the need to do it topless..?

It's a homoerotic thing.

a couple of lasses came in and they weren't overly happy about it

It's got nowt to do with lasses, so they can stop worrying about it. Unless they are mothers who are worried about their own (over 16) sons joining in. Even then they should be more open minded.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#7 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 09:46:22 am
so, it is a macho thing then...  8)

Yes and afterwards I watch films about gladiators and listen to the village people.

That spartacus is such a macho, macho man...

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#8 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 09:52:53 am
I do it to top up my pasty white board tan  :-[

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 10:13:01 am
Why is it that people have issues with the most natural thing in the world, the human body, whether is theirs or someone else's?

Too much body dysmorphia and prudism in the world.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 12:13:11 pm
weird...not like they get arsey at the swimming baths or beach.

This is untrue.  My partner noticed British girls to be particularly prudish/overly self-conscious/shy (delete as appropriate) when undressing in swimming pool changing rooms when she was an ERASMUS student in Sheffield.  She noted how they would go through an exaggerated and clumbsy process of wrapping themselves like a taco, struggling to remove their underwear and put their bathing suit on; whereas she would simply derobe, dress and get in the pool.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 12:16:31 pm
weird...not like they get arsey at the swimming baths or beach.

This is untrue.  My partner noticed British girls to be particularly prudish/overly self-conscious/shy (delete as appropriate) when undressing in swimming pool changing rooms when she was an ERASMUS student in Sheffield.  She noted how they would go through an exaggerated and clumbsy process of wrapping themselves like a taco, struggling to remove their underwear and put their bathing suit on; whereas she would simply derobe, dress and get in the pool.

That's prudish women tinged with a fear of sparking raging lesbianism in their brethen. I think the point clm was making is that women don't get arsey about men having their tops off at swimming baths or the beaches.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#12 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 12:18:04 pm
I think it's more likely those women consider their bodies unattractive than your lesbian wishfulfillment theory Slackers ...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 12:35:06 pm
I think it's more likely those women consider their bodies unattractive than your lesbian wishfulfillment theory Slackers ...

Yeah, it was rather wishful thinking on my behalf  :lol:

webbo

• forum hero
#14 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 12:36:45 pm
 maybe seeing some hairy armpitted Fraulein in the changing room made them prudish. :whistle:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#15 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 01:06:38 pm
I take my top off so others can feel good about themselves

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 01:32:28 pm
I take my top off so others can feel good about themselves

:lol: Very noble of you Jim.

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#17 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 01:45:40 pm
I don't mind blokes flasshing their chests - but it does seem a bit of narcissism about it....and it doesn't impress the women there.. :D

just last night at the DCC there were a bunch of macho boys (well, not men) and while I was checking out a potential route one of them asked if he could do the yellow and black route (that was in front of me) - I said yeah and watched as he failed...dumb prick... :D

webbo

• forum hero
#18 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 02:00:57 pm
i find removing clothing is one way of getting the wall to yourself.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 02:05:14 pm
So the ladies aren't impressed, and you and they get to have a  :lol: at people floundering up problems that you can do whilst wearing a t-shirt.  All sounds good to me  :thumbsup:

I'm sure its easy to distinguish those who are narcissistic and those who are too hot by the ratio of posing/climbing and their actual ability to get up things.

There are posers in all walks of life, to think that climbing is exempt from such  :wank: is a bit myopic.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#20 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 02:23:15 pm
maybe seeing some hairy armpitted Fraulein in the changing room made them prudish. :whistle:

Careful now.

galpinos

• forum hero
#21 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 02:29:10 pm
Why does it matter. If I take my top off, it's because I'm hot. There's also a pretty good chance I'll be failing on the problems I try.

Not narcissistic (you'd realise when the t-shirt comes off), just pratical. (and rare)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#22 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 03:14:06 pm
There is nothing wrong with narcissism (except for the way I try to spell it). A bit of healthy self-love is good for the soul. If it gets out of hand (pathological), then there's nothing anyone can do about it - the sufferer won't want to risk being exposed as anything less than perfect and treatment for this type of disorder doesn't work anyway. Shirts off at walls is just a fact - asking why helps only in providing a more colourful description of the event.

Gimp suits at walls is a more interesting area of study

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#23 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 03:21:30 pm
I take  my shirt off cause i'm hot and i like admiring the level of physical perfection i have manged to achieve, its a shame that climbing walls dont have more floor to celing mirrors so i could see myself busting into a most muscular pose after topping out a problem

granticus

• forum abuser
#24 Re: why is it...
July 28, 2009, 05:15:37 pm
I'm going for the enviro card..

If it's hot I do it to avoid sweating up a perfectly good t-shirt ie. to save on overuse of the washing machine and reduce my carbon emmissions!

'Shirts off for power (saving)'

Although it is fairly grim when a sweaty individual back slaps onto the mats leaving a pool of the stuff for others to fall into.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal