UKBouldering.com

So who's had/got swine flu? (Read 55582 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
#50 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 04, 2009, 10:28:33 am
It's a joke how everything has to be swine flu.

I thought I had it on Sunday morning, but then remembered that I'd had two bottles of wine and half a litre of vodka.

Too right, I thought I might have swine flu after a long weekend in Ibiza on a Stag do. Nothing to do with anything I'd done over the previuos three days. I did have a temperature and was sweating quite a bit. The missus was a bit concerned.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#51 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 04, 2009, 12:50:32 pm
We then had to go to chesterfield as they had a special clinic open for potential swine flu - despite the fact that she didn't have flu like symptons.

And in doing so greatly increased the risk that someone in the high risk category would be exposed to H1N1 without any reasonable justification  :goodidea:

(Having a go at procedure not you)

rich d

• forum hero
#52 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 04, 2009, 02:28:23 pm
That's what we thought too Will, especially rubbish as our other daughter is only nine months old.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#55 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 10, 2009, 10:18:15 pm
Don't I feel smug about deciding not to give Tamiflu to Mini B , for those very reasons  ::)

I was pretty shocked that we just filled in a tick box on t'interweb, then they gave us the code to go to the nearest panic-centre to get the drugs. No consultation, individual advice, warnings about potential side-effects, discussion of risk versus benefits. She's only just 1 year old. So we just decided it would be best not to bother, and tried to keep her temp down as much as we could. Not pleasant, but flu never is.

The world's gone mad.... etc etc

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#56 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 11, 2009, 09:14:13 am
Yeah my mate came back from a wedding in Prague / week long piss up and, unsurprisingly felt rough as fuck a few days later as it caught up with him. As he had some cold like symptoms too he checked the website, filled in the questionnaire and was given a code to get Tamilflu! He didn't bother and felt fine a few days later. Of course.

I'd like to see some figures as to how much the government has spent on these drugs and how much this company stands to make from the whole farce.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#57 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 11, 2009, 09:16:42 am
Assuming it doesn't mutate into Swine Plague, I wouldn't have anti-virals nor the vaccination.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#58 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 11, 2009, 09:24:00 am
Wouldn't Tamiflu be useless against "swine plague" as that would mean it had become resistant and:

Oseltamivir is an antiviral drug that slows the spread of non-resistant strains of the influenza virus between cells in the body.

?

This is a genuine question by the way as I don't know what I'm talking about. I wouldn't touch the vaccination with a barge pole though.

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#59 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 11, 2009, 09:30:06 am
my lady has had it for the last week or so...well, it was self diagnosed and I popped to the local walk in centre and got some tamiflu for her...she was really weak, dizzy spells and coughing real bad etc...

so, far I haven't caught it - but she's had a real strop on at times when I  didn't want to get close to her...  ???

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#60 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 11, 2009, 09:54:00 am
Wouldn't Tamiflu be useless against "swine plague" as that would mean it had become resistant and:

The antivirals may have an effect against other viral strains.  You are right though, Plague is a bacterial infection so anti-virals would do nothing.  I only said Plague to mean the Swine Flu severity hadn't gone up- risk:benefit and all that jazz.

From the data I've seen, oseltamavir reduces length of illness by a day at most, but can reduce infectivity (ie you're less likely to give it to other people).  Note the word reduce rather than prevent- how much reduction isn't clear.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#61 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 11, 2009, 11:19:56 am
Interesting. What is clear is that it's making some people very rich. Kerching.  :greed:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#62 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 11, 2009, 11:22:04 am
Yeah, anyone would think Roche had engineered a mild but highly infective virus that was sensitive to Tamiflu  :whistle:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#63 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 11, 2009, 11:28:29 am
........and then paid large backhanders to influential people at the WHO to recommend the drug be purchased in massive quantities by governments.

Nah course not. We're talking about responsible pharmaceutical companies here..............Oh hang on.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#64 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 11, 2009, 11:37:24 am
responsible pharmaceutical companies

Oxy

moron

Nim

• regular
#65 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 12, 2009, 09:07:28 am
One of my friends works for the Ambulance service and recently went to a meeting about Swine flu.  Apparently, all the senior medical staff are refusing to take Tamiflu, won't let their kids have it, and have no intention of having their children vaccinated.  Their advice is "paracetamol, fluids, bed" - ie treat it like normal flu.

I won't be having little M vaccinated (he's 20 months) - god knows what the long term effects may be!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#67 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 14, 2009, 08:13:42 am

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#68 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 14, 2009, 09:17:25 am
We were pondering last night, what if you are in a high risk category but don't want to be vaccinated? Will you be given a choice? Any health care professionals care to comment?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#69 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 14, 2009, 09:22:12 am
I don't see how they can force you to take it.

Call me a cynic.......

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#70 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 14, 2009, 09:24:40 am
I don't see how they can force you to take it.

webbo

• forum hero
#71 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 14, 2009, 09:33:46 am
i'm not sure where you stand if you refuse to have it,then get swine flu and take time off sick.i suspect they would refuse to pay you.

dave

#72 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 14, 2009, 09:55:34 am
bearing in mind all the shitstorm about the MMR vaccine which was clinically tested, then they're thinking of injecting babies with a swine flu jab thats not been tested, its fucking madness.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#73 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 14, 2009, 09:58:23 am
i'm not sure where you stand if you refuse to have it,then get swine flu and take time off sick.i suspect they would refuse to pay you.

Who would? I'm not sure how an employer could do that legally unless they changed everyone's contracts to include a swine flu clause.........

bearing in mind all the shitstorm about the MMR vaccine which was clinically tested, then they're thinking of injecting babies with a swine flu jab thats not been tested, its fucking madness.

Too right but the panic that they've whipped up about swine flu means that the "vaccine" is being greeted as our saviour rather than anyone asking the questions they should be asking. It's an interesting study in population control for sure.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#74 Re: So who's had/got swine flu?
August 14, 2009, 10:04:57 am

Too right but the panic that they've whipped up about swine flu means that the "vaccine" is being greeted as our saviour rather than anyone asking the questions they should be asking. It's an interesting study in population control for sure.

All the twats who didn't like the MMR vaccine but are happy to take the swine flu jab will just try and bring a litigation suit against the NHS/Government in 10/20 years time as you'd expect from such  :wank:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal