UKBouldering.com

Who owns what, why and for how long? (Read 8463 times)

uptown

• junky
Who owns what, why and for how long?
July 23, 2009, 03:07:26 pm
Perplexed by the thread title? You needn't be, it's a simple question really.
Many moons ago I spyed a couple of good looking new lines to do at Kilnsey. Yesterday I looked at one of them again, intending to chuck some bolts in, yet saw someone has beaten me to it.  :(
What is the general etiquette these days for ownership of lines?
These days I no longer believe that by bolting something you should indefinitely lay claim to it, yet obviously I'm no thief.
Get those opinions out peeps, and give me any appropriate stories from days gone by.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
give me any appropriate stories from days gone by.

I've been told/read in the past that Mental Pygmy at Black Rocks was named after the reaction of the person who wanted the 1st ascent when they found out it had been done?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
'The little bastard', some one about J Woodward after Beau Geste.

My view is that if you've bolted it an are making progress fine everyone else should leave it alone, if it's trad then it's an open project from day one.

Doylo

• forum hero
i think if someones gone to the effort of bolting something they should be given a chance to climb it first.

clm

• forum hero
Fuck it.  send it, delete this thread and claim ignorance...

uptown

• junky
Fuck it.  send it, delete this thread and claim ignorance...

Ha, I like that.  8)
I could always chop the bolts and replace them with my own too?

Nike Air

• forum abuser

Yesterday I looked at one of them again, intending to chuck some bolts in, yet saw someone has beaten me to it.  :(

Is this the line left of Smooth torquer by any chance??

uptown

• junky

Is this the line left of Smooth torquer by any chance??

No, wasn't that a Matt Smythe bolt from the 90's?

Nike Air

• forum abuser

No, wasn't that a Matt Smythe bolt from the 90's?
[/quote]

Na, Ste Dunnings bolts i ve been told, looks good, even better with a bit of chalk and some hangers... Which line you talking about?

clm

• forum hero
Sounding a bit like tis jordans line and he doesnt want to draw attention to it.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
Would not even know how to bolt a gate! Just making coversation. Kilnseys gaps do need plugging tho!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
It seems to be the general norm to give whoever bolted it a reasonable grace period.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I think that as long as it is still being actively tried then a project should be left alone. Even in this age of route-saturated rock there's a lot of projects left if you want one.

uptown

• junky
It seems to be the general norm to give whoever bolted it a reasonable grace period.

Yes, quite.

No-one seems to have answered the original question though.
You know I've placed a lot of bolts for work Jon, to me drilling holes is a fair 'bagsy' but how long should that 'bagsy' last? Weeks, months, years?
If the 'workman' has many unclimbed claims, are they just overbiting?
I guess the largest problem is not knowing who did the deed - if I knew I'd ask directly - otherwise we're just spouting philosophical conjecture - I might put a webcam up there...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
In practice the grace period seems to vary according to who's line it is and where it is. I've never been in a position to have to make such a call.
 Whenever I've bolted a route I've then gone on to work it until I've done it in a matter of days or a few weeks at most. The only exception has been a project at The Cornice which hasn't been properly dry since the day I bolted it so I haven't had a chance to try it properly. Once it does dry I'd like to have at least a couple of months trying it as it it's a very hard line for me and would take at least that long for me to get up. I'd probably remove a hanger or tape a hanger to show I was actively trying it. After that I'd probably put the hanger back on and point some beast at it.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
The line between Myra Hindley and Subculture (if this is the one you're on about) was bolted by Aaron Tonks last week. He was trying it on Thursday and the comments went a bit like this:

First go "It's about 7c"
Second go "it's about 7c+"
Third go "It's probably 8a"

I left him at that point, it could have been 8b by the time he finished...

uptown

• junky
First go "It's about 7c"
Second go "it's about 7c+"
Third go "It's probably 8a"

I left him at that point, it could have been 8b by the time he finished...

:lol:
That's the one, looks very good. I'll give him a few more days then, only fair... ;D
Looks like he's doing it from the Myra start then, I was thinking of starting up SC.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Aaron thought that the SC start would go as well, at a similar grade.

nik at work

• forum hero
As a complete sport know-nothing a question springs to mind. Would it be cricket to try the route in question but not do it? Perhaps failing on the last move (assuming of course you can get up it). Or would that been seen as "taking the piss"?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
It's not really cricket to try the route without the bolter's say so. Unless of course they don't know about it...

nik at work

• forum hero
Fair enough, I was just wondering rather than suggesting a course of action.
I seem to be having enough trouble getting up any existing routes without getting involved in unclimbed bits of rock...

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
As a complete sport know-nothing a question springs to mind. Would it be cricket to try the route in question but not do it? Perhaps failing on the last move (assuming of course you can get up it). Or would that been seen as "taking the piss"?

I've encouraged others to 'play' on some of my projects before just to try and get feedback on grade/sequences etc. - however, I typically make sure I'm the one holding the ropes so I can conviniently forget to pay any more out if they look like sending....  ;)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
I remember back in the day Peggo did Scavenger at Malham which had been bolted and left by I can't remember who. He began his route description "First make sure your prey is dead..."

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

IIRC Dunne did that with Predator ie jumping off just before the belay as it had been bolted by Steve Rhodes but then claimed it anyway. There is another case of a second ascentionsit still under the impression that he is the first although its widely known he isn't but no one wants to piss on his fire. Games climbers play..

nik at work

• forum hero
There is another case of a second ascentionsit still under the impression that he is the first although its widely known he isn't but no one wants to piss on his fire. Games climbers play..
That seems very silly, why not just tell him? I mean if the real ascentionist was genuinely that bothered about not wanting to "piss on the fire" of the original bolter then why not just not finish the route, it's not that hard to just let go before the belay.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal