UKBouldering.com

Desktop issue (Read 2193 times)

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
Desktop issue
April 29, 2010, 06:00:33 pm
I recently installed a maintenance-type software that speeds up Windows and ever since I can't see my desktop icons or wallpaper. This is a screenshot of what is on my monitor.  My best guess is that it stems from a change in explorer.exe but I have tried to modify it via the registry editor command and not been successful. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#1 Re: Desktop issue
April 29, 2010, 07:04:17 pm
Sounds like a virus/spyware/malware to me.

When you say "maintenance-type software" - what exactly?

I see you are running XP, you can sometimes rid your system of this crap by first running a virus scan of all disks and running processes (I assume you have anti-virus software installed?)

Then if that doesn't detect it:

Install all of these 3 and run scans etc using them:
Windows Defender
Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware Free

Between the 3 of them 99.9% of shite is usually removed!

Sometimes though if explorer.exe is too fecked you may have to re-install Windows  :(

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Desktop issue
April 30, 2010, 01:36:24 am
Cheers Tris!

The maintenance software is Fix-It Utilities 10 Professional. I have had Norton installed for ages and did a virus scan immediately which proved negative. Fix-It has an undo function that supposedly returns one's system to previous settings but that didn't help.

I'll install your suggested softwares and report back.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Desktop issue
April 30, 2010, 09:40:46 am
try windows update

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Desktop issue
April 30, 2010, 11:18:37 am
I have had Norton installed for ages and did a virus scan immediately which proved negative.

Probably telling you how to suck eggs, but make sure that Norton's database of viruses is up-to-date.  New viruses emerge/evolve all the time, and AV companies regularly release updates that cover new viruses.  If you've not updated recently it may be that your AV software doesn't even know about some viruses "signatures".

dave

#5 Re: Desktop issue
April 30, 2010, 11:25:31 am
Also be aware that some viruses and malware copy themselves into your system restore shit, so that you run a virus check, it deletes them, and then unbeknown to you next time you reboot they restore themselves. The common place for them to lurk is the in System Volume Information folder on c:\ - however unless you've got your settings right you won't be able to see or access this folder on your machine.....there's plenty of info on this via google.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Desktop issue
April 30, 2010, 11:33:31 am

The new software should have set a restore point before installation - have you tried going back to that point?

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Desktop issue
April 30, 2010, 04:24:19 pm

The new software should have set a restore point before installation - have you tried going back to that point?

Yeah, one of the first things I have tried.

Away from work for the weekend so I'll have a go at it next week. Not looking forward to it, I reckon I'll be reinstalling Windows before it's all done. Fucking viruses!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal