UKBouldering.com

standardised system for calling out ukbee people/talking to strangers (Read 18611 times)

cofe

• forum hero
keep meaning to post this but keep forgetting.

following a correct, ground-up identification of nik 'nik at work' at work, at raven tor, and after SA 'chris' Chris thought he eyeballed me in fort william, i was thinking we need a protocol for spotting, identifying and opening dialogue with potential ukb homies. i'm thinking something like a hard stare or a camp grin might result in a black eye, particularly if you think you've clocked a dense loner but it turns out it's just some other hairless nutbox manc with a smaller-than-average brainbox.

i'll kick things off: walk up to someone and tell them in your best dutch accent "Rumpelstiltskin is in the attic", then tilt your head and give them a knowing look. embellish with the wink and the gun if neccessary.

word?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
in your best dutch accent "Rumpelstiltskin is in the attic"

:lol:

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I can't do a Dutch accent. Can we make it a poor Australian/South African combo accent?

cofe

• forum hero
just replace every 's' with 'sshhh'. try it now:

"tennis"
"yes please"

rich d

• forum hero
Sounds more like sean connery.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Tried the "hard stare" at Nik at Work before, which he returned with a "camp grin". Not really definitive though as it is, I believe, his standard facial expression. indeed, I have no doubt if you tried the old Rumplestiltskin line with GCW you would be greeted by the usual heavily perplexed/constipated look he reserves for strangers.

cofe

• forum hero
Sounds more like sean connery.

exactly. holland's greatest export.

dave

following a correct, ground-up identification of nik 'nik at work' at work, at raven tor,

i'd give you retroflash but not ground-up  -you'd met him before at earl crag.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
My best mate is called Rumplestiltskin and lives in a studio flat which is like an attic so can we change it to Little Bo Peep and a South Wales accent?

superfurrymonkey

• junky
Or a secret handshake like the masons? Please!  :)

cofe

• forum hero
following a correct, ground-up identification of nik 'nik at work' at work, at raven tor,

i'd give you retroflash but not ground-up  -you'd met him before at earl crag.

i turned away though so as not to see his moves.

robertostallioni

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I think a handsign like holding your thumb and pointer finger upwards across your left bicep, with other fingers spread out makes the shape of U and K would be suitably noticeable, yet subtle.

Like, this but less obvious

andy_e

• forum hero
some will now be easier identifiable due to hoodification/t-shirtification thanks to bubba!

Stubbs

I think a handsign like holding your thumb and pointer finger upwards across your left bicep, with other fingers spread out makes the shape of U and K would be suitably noticeable, yet subtle.

our own gang sign, this is a fuckin genius idea, just watch out when you're bouldering in Long Beach and Compton!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Simple.

Q."Are you Andi E?"

A."No"

Q. "Phew. So you must be...?"

;)

andy_e

• forum hero

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
I spent 5 minutes trying to work out how to do a ukb sign. Effort...

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Tis simple fool we just all need to start wearing brogues to the crag.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Just give a recognisable ID trait for yourself. I have a tatoo of John Sergeant on my cock.

Stubbs

Were you wearing brogues at Cliffhanger Sloper? As strong look.

A gang sign might have solved the situation where I was fairly sure I was chatting to Richie Crouch in the cave last year but was worried it may have been an equally lanky non UKB scouser...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Tis simple fool we just all need to start wearing brogues ukb t-shirts and hoodies to the crag.

Failing that I think would be perfect (thanks to Lagers for the leg work).

NB -Damn it, the url bbcode still interpreted by the PHP code as a youtube url and embeds it automatically which is disabled for this video. If you want to watch this video, quote this message and copy the youtube URL into a new tab if you can be arsed to watch it, which I'd actually recommend. I used to live with a guy who was deaf and always meant to learn some basics of sing language off of him, the best I got to was spelling my name which is pretty lame.  He was so good at lip reading he'd forgotten most of his sign-language! He'd been out on the piss one evening and got chatting to a deaf guy from somewhere in Asia and said to pop round, next morning around 8am the guy turns up, housemate passed out in bed after a heavy night, I answer the door 'cause the guy is banging really loudly and then have to try and wake my deaf hosemate, not easy to wake at the best of times, but eventually I managed to wake him.  He couldn't remember how to sign properly to chat to the guy who'd come round ('cause obviously lip reading doesn't work across languages).  Anyway, where's that thread about posting whilst pissed

:beer1: :beer2: :pissed:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:37:51 am by slack---line, Reason: 4th and last edit to get it fucking right! »

clm

• forum hero

p.s. Ha ha tom.

Shit andi, i didnt know you were a thalidomide child.  I'm feeling for you mate, youre doing really well getting out climbing and all.  Keep up the good work.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Guess the word "subtle" means something different where you grew up. If you wandered round the crag doing that people would think it was a special day out.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I might be reading it wrong, but it also seems designed for signing to yourself? I guess that might be the most useful way for Andi.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal