UKBouldering.com

Redcar bouldering (Read 4964 times)

musicsherman

Redcar bouldering
May 20, 2009, 02:42:59 am
Hey I live in texas right now and I am moving to Redcar in a couple of months and I am just curious. Does anyone know of bouldering near redcar or whats the closest bouldering spot? Thanks
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:54:05 am by musicsherman »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 20, 2009, 08:11:56 am
The North Yorkshire Moors stuff is closest, but I can't find a website for it.

Next closest is probably the stuff here http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/map.html

Then a bit further away is

http://www.northumberlandbouldering.co.uk/ has some info for starters, but appears to be goosed at the moment.
http://thenmc.org.uk/

There are printed guides available with a lot more info. So basically shedloads.

And you might want to bring a raincoat if you are used to Texas weather. And a warm hat :)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#2 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 20, 2009, 08:30:23 am
And a phrase book, I find understanding the local language rather tricky.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 20, 2009, 08:34:01 am
And a phrase book, I find understanding the local language rather tricky.

If you follow soccer football there may well be a sudden reduction in premier league clubs in the region by the time you arrive  ;)

Oh, and Slipstones is not too far away  :bounce:

travs

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 20, 2009, 08:43:48 am
Well I was born and bred in Redcar which some will now say explains a lot. ;D

However, there is plenty of bouldering on the small crags on the North Yorkshire Moors. This web site should help you.

http://www.climbonline.co.uk/north_east_action.htm

Best of luck.

Davey_C

• regular
#5 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 20, 2009, 08:50:49 am
Hey I live in texas right now and I am moving to Redcar in a couple of months and I am just curious. Does anyone know of bouldering near redcar or whats the closest bouldering spot? Thanks

I used to have a friend who had a caravan in Redcar, we used to go and stay there quite often in the summer when I was a young'en. Christ, what a dump!! I haven't been for about 15 years so it might have changed now, but somehow I doubt it. Move somewhere else if you can - although Middlesbrough is not much better... :whistle:

Sorry not much help on your climbing question there...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 20, 2009, 09:05:46 am
Forgot about climb online, good call.

Some friends of mine have just moved from Kansas to Northallerton, is there some big seppo exodus to N Yorkshire going on?

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 20, 2009, 11:02:45 am

there is a lot of rock on the north york moors.however if you were local to hueco prepare to be crushingly dissapointed.

marty

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 20, 2009, 10:34:24 pm

there is a lot of rock on the north york moors.however if you were local to hueco prepare to be crushingly dissapointed.

But if you're from Houston, you may be pleasantly surprised!

benj_d

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 21, 2009, 12:15:06 am
Redcar, Chav city! There are some big well known families round there who will *get* you if you mess with any of them.  :great:

musicsherman

#10 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 22, 2009, 03:31:12 am
Thanks for all the replys sorry my internet has been down. No, not a local hueco actually I live in waco,tx. Which is like the redcar I guess of Texas haha. We have 2 climbing spots and they are both more than 45 minutes away, which makes it hard to go climb 3 days a week. and No gym. So I will most likely be pleased with whatever I get. Northyork moors sounds like my best chances? haha thanks

SA Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 22, 2009, 08:14:53 am
If you come from Waco then Redcar will feel like a veritable hotspot of culture and lifestyle. North Yorkshire Moors are closest, but you have loads to choose from within an hour or so.

musicsherman

#12 Re: Redcar bouldering
May 22, 2009, 01:39:51 pm
haha sweet deal, thanks.

kroozin

#13 Re: Redcar bouldering
July 05, 2009, 10:27:52 pm
heya, i come from Billingham not far from Redcar. Email me Jameswilson153@hotmail.com if you want some places to go.
Try Summer Hill in Hartlepool. Thats where I mainly go.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Redcar bouldering
July 05, 2009, 11:28:47 pm
Try Summer Hill in Hartlepool.

...concrete boulders...in Hartlepool. For an extra 35 minutes you could have Almscliff, Caley or Shaftoe.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Redcar bouldering
July 05, 2009, 11:51:11 pm
I've just read that back and realised that it sounded a bit harsh.  Had some horrible chav experience at Summerhill, not to mention having to scoop gravel out of all the holds. Defo worth the extra time on the road for decent climbing on rock in my opinion.

kroozin

#16 Re: Redcar bouldering
July 06, 2009, 07:26:08 pm
I've just read that back and realised that it sounded a bit harsh.  Had some horrible chav experience at Summerhill, not to mention having to scoop gravel out of all the holds. Defo worth the extra time on the road for decent climbing on rock in my opinion.

No offence taken. I know there are better places but I cant drive yet I'm only learning. I ride to Hartlepool with a mate from my house it takes me an hour, then do 2-4 hours climbing then ride that hour home again. Just started doing that once a week.

Only problem I've had was a ginger girl talking to me and was going on about how easy this rock was to climb up...(I was trying to traverse it.) I wasn't amused when she climbed up this "easy rock" then got stuck and couldn't get down shouting for help and there was only me and my mate there.  :wank:

Yeh some kids put stones in the holds but a quick 2 minutes of clearing before bouldering or climbing doesn't bother me.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#17 Re: Redcar bouldering
July 06, 2009, 07:34:50 pm

Only problem I've had was a ginger girl talking to me and was going on about how easy this rock was to climb up...(I was trying to traverse it.) I wasn't amused when she climbed up this "easy rock" then got stuck and couldn't get down shouting for help and there was only me and my mate there.  :wank:

I'd have at least told your mate to wait till she'd left.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal