UKBouldering.com

Balls to the Aussies the cricket thread (Read 361860 times)

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
No need for a ticket for tomorrow - free entry for all so make sure you get in early

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Don't bother taking lunch either :)

galpinos

• forum hero
Don't bother taking lunch either :)

A liquid lunch will hopefully be the order of the day.

rich d

• forum hero
Very jealous of you being able to see this in the flesh. It'll be another late night tonight.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
No need for a ticket for tomorrow - free entry for all so make sure you get in early

I was going to question whether thats such a good idea due to the potential for over-crowding and crushing, but upon reflection I'd imagine the natives won't be bothering to go along.

galpinos

• forum hero

I'd imagine there'll be as many native fans as there were in 1932.....

With England needing one run for a ten wicket victory he apparently shouted, "You'll never get 'em..."

tomtom

• forum hero
Plattsy'll be there.. lucky sod...

Its been an odd test for me, as since monday I've had some sort of puking flu, and been unable to sleep for most nights (until 4 hours last night). This has the fortunate bonus of me being able to stay up and watch the cricket all night - thuogh the downside is often in a pretty delerious/semi-concious state.. From what i remember its been great to watch - loads of great contests... Hussey vs Swann this afternoon was fantastic, Swann has done so much this tour just tightening things up at the other end to let the seamers get on with it.

Last night I started noticing the sheer professionalism of the England side in how they nursed the ball - unless it was to save runs EVERY member of the squad picked the ball up by the seam - then it was returned to 'dry hands' Cook to polish up on one side to get that reverse swing going.. Fielding really sharp - all talking, geeing each other on etc.. Cook, Swann and (I hate to say as he wasnt my fave) Bell have done very well - but theres been no swash buckling balls out individual performances - its all been steady, good team work.. And how good to hear the media talking about the envitable collapse and its in the context of the Australians!

rp

put a few quid on england to win series in nov. haven't watched any of it due to work and lack of sky. been cool to have something interesting to listen out for on the news in morning though. cook man of series. william hill owes me some cash. i genuienly feel sorry for ponting (really).

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
OK, I'm a long-time supporter of Australian cricket (been watching them for over 35 years that I can remember) and I can say with all honesty that this is the worst performance I have ever seen by a team from here in all that time - including during the Packer era (1977-79) when pretty much the whole first choice team were banned. I would also say that the England team have looked the best prepared and best organised side I have seen visiting here since the West Indies teams of the early-mid '80s. Except for the blip when they mis-read the pitch at Perth they have been relentless, ruthless and completely on top of their collective game.

I suspect we're in for a barren few years over here, which may prove terminal for the game as the competition to get the best youngsters in sport is pretty hot (we have four codes of professional football for starters!)
To use a metaphor, it really is extraordinary how quickly an apparently impregnable fortress can be pulled down once the first breach is made.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy!

Bobling

• menacing presence
I'm watching the highlights and Shane Watson has just broken my epicfailometer  :o :lol:

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography

I was going to question whether thats such a good idea due to the potential for over-crowding and crushing, but upon reflection I'd imagine the natives won't be bothering to go along.

I should have said no need to buy a ticket - youll still need one but all remaining seats are free (and its an all seated venue). My Bad

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
BTW, my composite team of the series is 10 of England with Hussey replacing Collingwood at 5 or 6.
Strauss (c), Cook, Trott, Pieterson, Hussey, Bell, Prior (W), Swann, Bresnan, Anderson, Tremlett.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Good skills. I completely agree. Maybe I'd just edge Broad in for Hussey.  :shrug:  :whistle: :-* :'( :lol: :alky: :-[ :P ::) ;D ;)

rich d

• forum hero
first wicket of the night down. nearly there now.
what do you call an Australian with a bottle of champagne? A waiter.
What do you call an Australian who can catch? An angler 

etc etc  :beer2:

andy_e

• forum hero
Australia have bollinger... but he's a player, nothing celebratory.

Dolly

• forum hero
Just Beer to go now then :)

andy_e

• forum hero
Beer before (sparkling) wine, feeling fine...

Dolly

• forum hero
Good effort by Smith - really giving it a go
Did you hear Shane Warne on Beer ?
"He'd make a great number 12"

Plattsy

• forum hero
Just back from what has been an amazing 5 days of sport. I've never been and watched all 5 days of a test before and frankly I'm not sure I'd do all 5 days again. Hats off to the supporters who have travelled and been to most of the days played. That is some effort indeed (especially putting up with the poor offerings at the bar).
Reading the program from this test there is an interesting paragraph or two on the preparation England have done which was news to me. The English used a pro-batter machine with an attached video wall which can show the bowling action of any bowler and mimic their delivery. They also batted in conditions where they were bombarded with noise to get used to the atmosphere the grounds will produce. Heated indoor nets sessions so medical staff could assess who would cramp up most. Also something mentioned by Tomtom. According to the program it's Paul Collingwood but none the less they identified those players who have the least sweaty hands in hot conditions and would throw to that player more often than not in order to help keep the ball dry which helps it reverse swing. How does the saying go preparation prevents piss poor performance. Well, shit, they went to town on that one. Chapeau to Andy Flower and Andy Strauss.
For England the future is very bright indeed. With more good fast bowlers than we know what to do with and a top class spinner with I suspect the lad Rashid in the wings waiting too. The batsmen all seem settled, save Collywood, and more composed than I've seen them before. For Australia there is some serious work to be done and Warne thinks it'll take a couple of years which I think is very optimistic.
It was nice to see Colly get a special send off. I think he's been a great player for us.
No sprinkler dance alas but I suspect I might pull a few out later on tonight.
One last thing. Kerry O'Keefe is my new favourite cricket radio commentator. He alone has got my girlfriend interested in cricket. Well listening to him talk about cricket.  ;D
Off for a few beers.  :beer1: :beer1: :beer2: :beer2: :pissed:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Appliance of SCIENCE. Great result.

tomtom

• forum hero
Just back from what has been an amazing 5 days of sport. I've never been and watched all 5 days of a test before

A well deserved wad for that Plattsy. Wish I was there to share a beer or twelve with everyone  :)

Bobling

• menacing presence
What a series!  To everyone who is out there enjoying it now make the most of it!  My wife and I traipsed round Oz in 2005/6 watching us get thrashed over and over again, it was only after two months of cricket watching when we finally got to cheer an England victory (and that was in an ODI vs NZ, in Hobart).   Happy days though, it's a great country to watch cricket in.  Kerry O'Keefe and Jim Maxwell on ABC are cracking aren't they - I wish they'd have Kerry on TMS too.  We spent many happy hours in our camper driving hundreds of k's with them for company.

The video below helped us finally work out the words to the Mitchell song, it's been in my head ever since, well he did bait them, what did he expect?  I would have given my right arm to be there with them watching him trudge off after his Golden Duck.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

tomtom

• forum hero

andy_e

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal