UKBouldering.com

Balls to the Aussies the cricket thread (Read 361831 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Well it is going to take something special to see anything other than an England win here with the Aussies requiring a monumental 546 to retain the Ashes. I can't believe that it was less than 24 hours ago that I was sat here praying for no more wickets to fall before close of play after the third England wicket went down. It will also be interesting to see how the wicket plays as England have made it look easy today - Swann was positively dismissive of the Australian attack in equalling his highest test score of 63 from what I heard on TMS.

Congratulations to Trott as well who has surely sealed his place on the SA tour this winter with a very composed 119 on debut.

Bobling

• menacing presence
So will Trott pick up an MBE a la Collingwood?

Dr T

• forum hero
Congratulations to Trott as well who has surely sealed his place on the SA tour this winter with a very composed 119 on debut.

be nice to be home for Christmas  :-[
tee hee hee

cofe

• forum hero

do you reckon he donned a rubber one-piece to complete the gimp look?

rich d

• forum hero
Two early wickets has dispelled any nervousness I had this morning. The pitch finally seems to be misbehaving.

Bobling

• menacing presence
Punter's last Test in England (potentially) though he'll want a big score, and Mr. Cricket is due a bit of luck....it would be unbelievable but records are there to be broken...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
Two early wickets has dispelled any nervousness I had this morning. The pitch finally seems to be misbehaving.

I know exactly what you mean about nerves - was a happy man when those two wickets fell.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
even though the outlook looks bleak, i'm still riveted to this match and the series.
a part of me still holds on to a glimmer of hope that we will get there.
if any team can do it, it is Australia.

i know you guys hate Ponting, but you have to admire his competitiveness and talent and as long as he is in there will be a chance he'll be a major obstacle to you lot regaining the ashes.

i love test cricket, and this series has shown the beauty of it in abundance.

big waddage to bluebrad for our discussions and if you're ever down this way, the beers & belays are coming your way  :beer2:

rich d

• forum hero
With punter I don't think it's a matter of hate. I admire him and if he was english I'd like him, but he isn't. Just very glad to see the back of him today. He got a standing ovation coming on today - like the boos the hatred for punter is all pantomime.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
even though the outlook looks bleak, i'm still riveted to this match and the series.
a part of me still holds on to a glimmer of hope that we will get there.
if any team can do it, it is Australia.

i know you guys hate Ponting, but you have to admire his competitiveness and talent and as long as he is in there will be a chance he'll be a major obstacle to you lot regaining the ashes.

i love test cricket, and this series has shown the beauty of it in abundance.

big waddage to bluebrad for our discussions and if you're ever down this way, the beers & belays are coming your way  :beer2:

Two quick run outs and the match swings back in England's favour again after a fine half centuries from Ponting and Hussey had us doubting again. I actually thought that they were still debating Ponting's run out when I turned on the radio again only to find that Clarke was the man in the hot seat and was found wanting by a single frame of the replay camera.  :o

As for Ponting - anyone who says that they like cricket has to admit to liking (albeit in a most grudging fashion probably) for the very reasons that you have outlined. He is one of those players who you want to get out early - a gritty obdurate player who you are far happier seeing back in the Pavilion than out on the field. As Rich said it was good to hear that he got a positive reception at The Oval and while it can be passed off as pantomime stuff it still has no place in cricket IMO.

Big waddage to you too oldfella - been a pleasure and the same offer goes to you if you are ever this way - we do beer better BTW just in case you need any further reason to hit the Northern Hemisphere.  :beer2:

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Big waddage to you too oldfella - been a pleasure and the same offer goes to you if you are ever this way - we do beer better BTW just in case you need any further reason to hit the Northern Hemisphere.  :beer2:

ohh i know that too well. i thoroughly enjoyed 8 years of frequenting the sheafview. Now I have come back home to crap beer, crap pubs and not a pack of pork scratchings in sight. thank god i got the beach 800m from the front door and 28 degree weather in winter to make up for it..

Come on where's a typhoon when you need one  ;)

you lot had the pitch doctored, weather controlled and gave Strauss the heads up on the call using a one sided coin!!!

oh well, lets see if you can imporove on 5-0 whitewash next year.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:35:04 pm by oldfella »

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Hussey to get 150

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
you lot had the pitch doctored, weather controlled and gave Strauss the heads up on the call using a one sided coin!!!

Doesn't the away captain get first call? Ponting really should be sacked if he does and then can't figure out it's come up heads (or tails) everytime and adjusting accordingly!  ;)

oh well, lets see if you can imporove on 5-0 whitewash next year.

I liked your original spelling better so decided to keep it...  ;) I will comment more on whether we have a chance to better our last performance in about 15 months when I have had a chance to see what our line up looks like then and how many Saffers we can steal in that time. As it is you have the nucleus of a very good side with your current line up and 18 months is only going to improve your bowling attack as they are currently a bit green in terms of experience IMO.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
given the current english side,
they should get through customs REALLY quick on the upcoming tour of South Africa. should be cheap on accomodation too. lots of Mum's favorite dishes.

i'm sure there'll be of plenty of new british passports on offer.  :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
You two should get a room  ;)

Keep the banter up gents...

Bobling

• menacing presence
On day one the pundits had 180 down as about the most a fourth innings could achieve and here we are with OZ 300 for 5!  Those two runouts are priceless.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
You two should get a room  ;)

Keep the banter up gents...

Feel free to volunteer as a chaperone if you are feeling lonely!

Seven down now.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
oh well,

congrats to you lot.  :beer1:

the short wait now begins till you venture down here for another battle over the urn
bear in mind the last time you won a test in Australia was in january 2003, and before that it was one match in 1999.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
But you has a good team back then  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
Won.  :beer2:

Yup - It'll be different over in Oz, but a real result, especially given the differences between the team now and in 2005... no KP... Freddy on crutches/steroids...

Hope the Aussie press doesnt give their side too hard a time (team selection etc..) because they really stuck at it, and today gave things a real go when most sides would have given up. If you were going to bet on anyone to make that last innings total it would be Australia...

Looking forward to my trip to Darwin in Oct now.. I'll have something good to tease the lads about  :)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
DaveC - Just to rub salt tin to the wound but don't you owe me a tenner for the bet we had ages ago. You bet a that we would win 2-0.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
But you has a good team back then  ;)
Had you been celebrating before this post?

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
DaveC - Just to rub salt tin to the wound but don't you owe me a tenner for the bet we had ages ago. You bet a that we would win 2-0.

I thought I tipped England to win 2-1? :P

Anyway, the poms are well-deserved winners and my player of the series would be Strauss for keeping a cool head under pressure as captain, a superb knock at Lord's to set up the first win and several crucial innings in subsequent games.

It was good to see England raise their game in the last test without any significant contribution from the ever-overrated Flintoff btw! The guy averages low-30s with both bat & ball which is really nothing to write home about!!

This has been a series between two pretty mediocre sides (ours being the more mediocre) and while the Australians individually look better statistically, England had players who stepped up at decisive moments to prove the old adage that there are "lies, damned lies and then there's statistics!"

The most decisive period of the series? I'd like to nominate the last wicket pair for England at Cardiff for MBEs, if it wasn't for them the Ashes would have been successfully defended at Headingley!! ;)

tomtom

• forum hero

I thought I tipped England to win 2-1? :P

Anyway, the poms are well-deserved winners and my player of the series would be Strauss for keeping a cool head under pressure as captain, a superb knock at Lord's to set up the first win and several crucial innings in subsequent games.

It was good to see England raise their game in the last test without any significant contribution from the ever-overrated Flintoff btw! The guy averages low-30s with both bat & ball which is really nothing to write home about!!

This has been a series between two pretty mediocre sides (ours being the more mediocre) and while the Australians individually look better statistically, England had players who stepped up at decisive moments to prove the old adage that there are "lies, damned lies and then there's statistics!"

The most decisive period of the series? I'd like to nominate the last wicket pair for England at Cardiff for MBEs, if it wasn't for them the Ashes would have been successfully defended at Headingley!! ;)

:agree: (but don't forget that throw from Flintoff today!..) and I'm a 'pom'....

Interesting blog on the old BBC about reaction/blame in Australia....

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
The problem with Nick Bryant is that he seems to regard the Murdoch-owned Sydney papers as the sum total of the "Australian media!" I have neither seen nor heard any of the "Great Ashes Heist" stuff he refers to in the Melbourne press.  :shrug:

I suspect he's not the only Australian correspondent from overseas media who is guilty of rarely straying more than 50 miles from the comfort of his Sydney harbourside apartment.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal