UKBouldering.com

Balls to the Aussies the cricket thread (Read 356967 times)

cofe

• forum hero
unbelievable. should put a smile on ponting's little face.   ;)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
yyfy, now we can only lose 4-0 at worst  :thumbsup:

andy higginson

• regular

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
:beer2: :dance1: :dance1: :bounce: :beer2: :lol: :lol: :beer1: :lol:

been at Cliffhanger all day  so wasn't following what was going on. But fucking brilliant. Up yours Punter yer miserable twat  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
been at Cliffhanger all day  so wasn't following what was going on. But fucking brilliant. Up yours Punter yer miserable twat  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

you only salvaged a draw...

good effort from Colly, certainly earnt his infamous MBE.
Monty was brilliant, totally pumpedup for it. i hope he stays for the next match.

great start to series..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:36:06 pm by oldfella, Reason: mention to Colly »

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
We only salvaged a draw because you were incapable of finishing us off  :) Not something you have been often accused of recently.

We on the other hand showed uncharacteristic reserves of character  :) Not something we have have been often accused of recently.

Therefore we gained more from this draw than you. So we really won  :ang:

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
Great effort, particularly from Collingwood, good to see somebody putting there money where there mouth is but there must be some serious questions about the top order after that second innings!

I still reckon this will be a drawn series as neither side really has the bowlers to finish off the other on the kind of flat tracks that are most common these days.

For me the next question is whether the English selectors have the cojones to dump Pieterson and pick a player who wants to play for England rather than for himself! :-\ :whistle:

Harmison and/or Onions and/or Sidebottom must all be in the running for a game at Lord's.

Needless to say, our lot have little reason to change anything although the inability to finish the game off shows just what went when Warne & co retired 2 years ago.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Indeed - an amazingly gritty knock from Colly there. And to think that his place in the squad was seriously under question last year.

Monty's a new man in this game - fair enough his spin has been ordinary at best, but he's proved he can bat and even field! His face in those last few overs really encapsulated what this series should mean to an England player - he was clearly absolutely bricking it, but trying to keep a lid on it.

I've got myself Sky especially for The Ashes and this morning decided I'd seen enough and sacked it off to The Depot. Imagine my surprise when I arrived back and we hadn't collapsed to failure, and got to watch the last hour or so, albeit from behind the sofa.

Agree that more incisive quick bowling it what's needed, but the pitch can play such a big part. I read a quote from Harmy regarding the Cardiff track, where he called it a 'chairman's wicket' (meaning that it'll guarantee 5 days of play / ticket sales), which I thought was very well put. I for one would much rather see day one of Lord's playing out like it did in '05...though not the remaining days of the test!

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Oh save me from whinging Aussies.  Ponting's "I'm not going to make too much of this but all the poms are cheating bastards yah boo sucks and we're taking our ball home!" speech was a classic of the genre.  Of course, the saintly baggy hatted brigade would never have resorted to time-wasting, no sirree..........

jh

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Oh save me from whinging Aussies.  Ponting's "I'm not going to make too much of this but all the poms are cheating bastards yah boo sucks and we're taking our ball home!" speech was a classic of the genre.  Of course, the saintly baggy hatted brigade would never have resorted to time-wasting, no sirree..........
jh

What was he complaining about, when the physio came on towards the end?

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Time wasting apparently.   :-\  Something to which our antipodean brethren would never stoop, obviously.........

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
To be fair to Ponting, timewasting, no matter how short a time it's for, is unbelievably infuriating. Strauss' rather weak defence of it in his press conference didn't exactly convince it was just a 'mix up.'

Plattsy

• forum hero
The physio bit was embarrassing.

n_man

• obsessive maniac
Who cares - one in the eye for the convicts.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Exactly and as JH says, as if they wouldn't do exactly the same.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
They interviewed an Aussie journalist on the Today programme this morning, and he was honest enough to admit the baggy-hatters would ahve done exactly the same thing only earlier!

Plattsy

• forum hero
Feigning injury in any sport is quite sad.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I didn't see Ponting asking the umpire whether Ravi's second innings shocker wasn't going over. Sky seemed to be inferring that Strauss' second innings wicket wasn't kosher either, as the keeper's gloves were in front of the stumps.

I agree on the timewasting thing though - certainly not in the spirit of the game...the physio's moobs were the most embarrassing bit of the whole thing.

See they've named Bell in the squad for Lord's. That's Ian Bell. Words escape me.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
No Australian can complain about dodgy tactics. They invented sledging and, the worst one ever, they caused the Laws to be changed by bowling a fucking daisy cutter.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
We only salvaged a draw because you were incapable of finishing us off  :) Not something you have been often accused of recently.

We on the other hand showed uncharacteristic reserves of character  :) Not something we have have been often accused of recently.

Therefore we gained more from this draw than you. So we really won  :ang:
Awsome logic, applied to sound premises: incontavertable truth

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Tim de Lisle on the 1st Test line up.

DaveC

• junky
That's a good piece (de Lisle is usually pretty good.) Anyway, this thread needed something sensible as it's starting to look like a UKC thread! ( :wank:)
There's a slightly more controversial view on where England's biggest problem lies here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/5811998/The-Ashes-Kevin-Pietersen-is-Englands-biggest-problem.html
Let's face it, if Pieterson had emigrated to Australia instead of England he would have been lucky to get a long-term place in our local Murgebulloc 3rds with his attitude let alone seen the inside of the National teams dressing rooms! ;) He is, as the article says, a narcissist of the first order and unless he makes a paradigm shift in his approach he will go down as one of the games great under-achievers!
As far as all the 'time-wasting' crap in the media goes, you won't find many outside the media circus here who agree with Ponting. He should just keep his mouth shut and get on with the next game. If he really wanted to make sure he won the game he should have declared half-an-hour earlier on the 4th day and kept Hilfenhaus bowling longer on the fifth. If Strauss has managed to get up his nose already then I reckon a little time-wasting was well worth it anyway.

It will be interesting to see the shape of England's bowling line-up on Thursday. If Flintoff is fit a Harmison/Flintoff/Onions pace combo would hopefully add a bit more spice to proceedings!

OK, the stuff about Pieterson is a bit of a wind-up.....but only a bit!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:59:53 am by DaveC »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Robbo Robson's worth a read as per.

At least there were thrills and spills on Sunday. Friday and Saturday was like watching small furry animals being crushed by a 20-ton steam roller at the rate of one inch an hour.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

There's a slightly more controversial view on where England's biggest problem lies here: Bloody huge link thankfully shortened... ;)

I thought that was going to be a link to the Boyks piece in one or other of the papers today but that is equally condemning!

"The former captain's admirers, and there are a few out there, living in caves untouched by the sun, think that people are beastly to him."

Marvellous.

DaveC

• junky
You have to be a bit careful with anything written by Michael Henderson, he still thinks anybody who's skin is a little darker than his cannot be 'one of us' so it's not surprising he would aim his particular brand of bile at an import like Pieterson.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:22:49 am by DaveC, Reason: Fixing up some truly dire typos »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal