UKBouldering.com

Yellow Leather pile Lined Winter Gloves - Anyone know where to get some? (Read 7483 times)

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
I saw a bloke in the alps over winter with a pair of the above. They are the best gloves for winter stuff ive seen. They were yellow, completely made of thick leather.. rather like a shit hot pair of gardening gloves, which came well above the wrist, and lined with white pile. The bloke swore by them and had never suffered cold hands. I want some! Anyone seen/heard or know where to buy them? Paul

dave

didn't blick diamond make something like that?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Like this?

I know that builders merchants in the Alps sell something similar

or this

5 pairs for £33.77 inc VAT

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:11:28 pm by lagerstarfish »

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Thread resurrection!

It's that time of year again. Anyone have specific recommendations for Alpine Binmen style insulated leather work gloves?

remus

• forum hero
I've got a pair of these http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Venitex-Leather-Gloves-size-8

Not the most elegant things but they're pretty warm and you don't feel guilty about trashing them because they're so cheap.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
I've got a pair of the second ones down on this page:

https://www.kinco.com/ski

Got them out in the USA for about 12 fuck alls (no idea what the current exchange rate of fuck alls to $ is, think they were $20) Most of the Ski patrollers, lift guys had Kincos. I skied 5 days a week for 5 months in them and they are still fine. Mine are a touch too bulky for climbing in but they are super warm (in fact I didn't ski in them all the time as they were too hot in the spring) They do a few other versions which may be better suited to climbing. Not sure where/if you can get them in the UK though.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I have a similar pair for belaying (sport, not winter - I get very cold fingers) - deer skin with a thermal lining:

https://www.kinco.com/product/101hk

Best combination of warmth and being tactile enough for rope handling I've found. Amazon and ebay sell them.  Price has gone up a lot in the past 2 years though - mine cost £15, now £34 from the same seller (though some other, similar versions are cheaper).

Muesli

• addict
I have a similar pair for belaying (sport, not winter - I get very cold fingers) - deer skin with a thermal lining:

https://www.kinco.com/product/101hk

Best combination of warmth and being tactile enough for rope handling I've found. Amazon and ebay sell them.  Price has gone up a lot in the past 2 years though - mine cost £15, now £34 from the same seller (though some other, similar versions are cheaper).

+1       just search thermal work gloves on amazon

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Thanks everyone, good suggestions so far. Just to be clear, this is for holding a grigri not ice tools. Aspirations to be another Mick Fowler melted as The Chancer did more than 20 years ago.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
+1 on the Kinco - they sold them at the "company store" at the ski resort where i worked in US, and i had a pair that lasted bumping chairlifts 4 days a week all winter.

galpinos

• forum hero
I've got a pair of venitex (as per the original snow shepherd links). They are good because they are cheap and hardwearing, don't be under the impression that they are amazing gloves.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Paul B asked summat similar on Twatter recently

I spoke to a guy who works with frozen meat who pointed me at these
https://m.justworkgloves.co.uk/#!/Thermal-Work-Gloves/Freezemaster-II-Gloves

Johnny Brown mentioned these for alpinism
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LUP9Z00/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_api_AlviAbBRBV7T7

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Those Freezemaster gloves look good - might get a pair to try out for those cold early season days belaying at Malham.

The ones JB recommended for Alpinism look a bit too Marigold-like for withstanding prolonged ropework with folk working routes, although I imagine they would be good for gripping ice-axes etc.  A similar type of glove I've used for work are these:

https://www.arco.co.uk/products/14G4800?s=1

warm, cheap, and fairly tactile - just about feasible to use a camera and a pen and notepad with when doing outdoor site visits in winter.  Would possibly wear-out quick with lots of belaying but cheap enough to just replace whenever required.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Those Freezemaster gloves look good

you digging the spandex and leather combination too?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
aye.... industrial disco gloves to go with my vest and lycra leggings, I will be the talk of Malham catwalk. "Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil south-westerly breezes, midges, and seepage".

alx

• regular
  • Monstrosity
I tried on a pair of the yellow leather black diamond crew and guide gloves recently, and they were sublime!  I couldn’t justify the price right now (wait until summer discounts!) but the level of dexterity and warmth was another level on top of top tier gloves I had previously tried out.

http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/mens-clothing/mens-accessories/mens-gloves

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I haven't actually used those Showa gloves but they come recommended by Steve House as what all the Japanese guys use on cutting edge stuff.

I have the BD guide gloves, but like all 'proper' ice climbing gloves last about 3 weeks.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Haven't been to check it out but I was told that you can buy work gloves at the Agricultural Supplies Shop in Bradwell for a fraction of the cost that similar/inferior items sell for in gardening centres etc.

I was doing laps on autobelays at the Foundry in a pair of inferior gloves nearing the end of their life and a chap suggested I'd be able to get a pair of Chamois replacements from there for about £7. 

If anyone in the market is out and about in the Peak it might be worth checking out.

SamT

• forum hero
Not open weekends mind

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Ah, cheers, might have saved me a journey.

Paul B

• forum hero
Paul B asked summat similar on Twatter recently

I still haven't bought anything though. For me I'm off to Buoux over Christmas and I'm worried it'll be freezing in the morning and in the shade, belaying.

The Kincos look great. Are they OK for belaying Moose / El mocho?

I've been disorganised so my ski mitts might have to suffice between stints of belaying.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Paul - I think the Kincos work well for belaying - my pair are the gloves I'll have been wearing everytime you've seen me belay at Malham or Kilnsey. 

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Couldn't find the Kincos for less than £35 in the UK. Saw a random stranger wearing a pair of Venitexes in Edinburgh and insisted I try them on. Glove fetishes are quite common apparently. Fit wasn't terrible, good enough for belaying, pretty toasty and look like they should last. For £12 on ebay they'll do the job.

Paul B

• forum hero
Nice!

It was unseasonally cold in Buoux last week and I was impressed by the benefit offered just by my 3/4 length Metolius gloves. Still, when you can't feel your fingers when fully deep in a two finger pocket there's not much hope!

I'm intending to pick up some Kincos in the states in January (along with a knee pad or two).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal