UKBouldering.com

ID Card retreat (Read 1860 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
ID Card retreat
June 30, 2009, 03:43:40 pm
Apparently there's a massive U turn on ID cards on the way . . . . watch this space.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1 Re: ID Card retreat
June 30, 2009, 04:00:29 pm
Is that cos everyone in a position of power and who previously supported them has resigned?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: ID Card retreat
June 30, 2009, 04:05:48 pm

Are they still going to push biometric passports?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: ID Card retreat
June 30, 2009, 04:20:39 pm

You already get some sort of biometric passport with built in chip in it when you renew and have done for a good year or so now.

I might (when I renew) "accidentally" leave mine in a pair of trousers when I put them in the microwave to dry  :whistle:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#4 Re: ID Card retreat
June 30, 2009, 04:53:48 pm
Is [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/30/home_office_id_cards/]this[/url] what you are referring to Sloper?

bluebrad

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: ID Card retreat
June 30, 2009, 05:00:46 pm
So tell me, exactly how many tax-pounds have been wasted on this travesty thus far?

And who must die because of this?  We need a whipping boy.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#6 Re: ID Card retreat
June 30, 2009, 05:26:53 pm

You already get some sort of biometric passport with built in chip in it when you renew and have done for a good year or so now.

I might (when I renew) "accidentally" leave mine in a pair of trousers when I put them in the microwave to dry  :whistle:

Well don't try and get into the States. If your passport was issued after a certain date then you need biometric otherwise you need a visa

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: ID Card retreat
June 30, 2009, 07:03:48 pm
Last time I flew back into Stansted having a biometric passport let me jump a massive queue to face scanning machines which didn't work...at all, but I still got through quicker as they kept a desk free for all the people it didn't work for

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: ID Card retreat
July 01, 2009, 12:04:23 am

Well don't try and get into the States. If your passport was issued after a certain date then you need biometric otherwise you need a visa

I was obliged to visit the US for my dad's 50th and did so under duress as I really didn't want a scan of my thumb taken.  That was back in 2004.  On the basis of the expanded scanning (I think they now do most of your fingers too now) I won't go to the US.

Its worth noting too that there is no SCIENTIFIC proof that finger prints are unique, matching is based on statistical probability of certain metrics between key points in the same vein as face recognition algorithms work (how close together are the eyes,  how "long" is the face etc.).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal