UKBouldering.com

new climbers sore toes (Read 3113 times)

psykx

new climbers sore toes
June 28, 2009, 05:25:27 pm
Hey all,
I'm a new climber (hence the title) I bought a pair of evolv defy shoes (uk size 8), in the shop they seemed to fit awesomely well, I climbed a few tiny holds and they where great and the guy seemed to think they fitted perfectly. How ever in the last few times I've been climbing (for 3-4 hours today) my big toes toes really ache at the joint for a long time after climbing. 

I'm basically wondering if I need to buy a looser pair of shoes, if not for the shorted boulder problems, definitely for all day use? and if anybody can recommend some pairs to try on?

or as I'm new is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#1 Re: new climbers sore toes
June 28, 2009, 07:12:09 pm
as a rule climbing shoes just hurt dude, a common mistake most new climbers make is trying to leave their shoes on for too long take them off in between climbs and when your resting to let you feet chill out.

milksnake

• menacing presence
#2 Re: new climbers sore toes
June 28, 2009, 10:12:50 pm
they will stretch a little with time too, untill that happens wrapping a bit of zinc oxide tape around the knuckle seems to help.

dave

#3 Re: new climbers sore toes
June 28, 2009, 10:37:38 pm
since you've luckily bought some velcro shoes, its easy to get them on and off between problems, so do just that. over time you'll get used to it, the boots will stretch, adn you'll probably get a nice mig bunion on the knuckle to absorb the force. enjoy.

psykx

#4 Re: new climbers sore toes
June 28, 2009, 10:52:22 pm
it's not that the shoe is rubbing, it's that the actual joint of my big toe is too compressed. I knew that it was normal to have uncomfortable shoes but I didn't expect them to make my big toe hurt when normal shoes or bare foot for hours (or days) afterwards.

I might go visit my local climbing shop when I get paid on tues and talk to the guy about getting some slightly looser bit still tight fitting shoes, maybe some that have more of a down turned toe. I had a look at the 5.10 website they seem to have shoes that are designed for longer sessions. just because it would mean I'd only be waiting for my hands and forarms to recover before I have the next session (bring on the shoe addiction)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#5 Re: new climbers sore toes
June 28, 2009, 11:37:50 pm
yeah mate its the tight fitting part of the equation which causes the pain just take your shoes off like everyone says and you'll be fine just takes a bit of getting used to don't run around wasting your money there's a recession on you know.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal