UKBouldering.com

Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia (Read 120868 times)

cofe

• forum hero
#200 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
January 08, 2010, 09:49:05 am
If you are really interested the name Nexus one is a Philip K Dick reference from the book 'Do Androids dream of electric sheep?'. The name of the Androids in the book was Nexus. Philip K Dicks daughter is threatening to sue Google.

I did read that in the news actually. Google do like dick it seems (android, nexus)...    ;D

dave

#201 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
January 08, 2010, 09:52:58 am
Philip K Dicks daughter

sounds like a tabloid headline.

I can't believe no-one has yet mentioned horseshoe quarry.

Stubbs

#202 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
January 08, 2010, 09:57:19 am
I did read that in the news actually. Google do like dick it seems (android, nexus)...    ;D

Everyone should like Dick, he's great! Do Androids and A Scanner Darkly are two of my favourite books.

I'm really happy with my Android, except for the battery life, if that's all the improved on the Nexus I'd be happy!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#203 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
January 08, 2010, 10:16:03 am

I can't believe no-one has yet mentioned horseshoe quarry.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Dense installing ring bolt lower-offs off the shoulder of Orion. I watched Fiend wearing socks in his boots near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#204 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
January 08, 2010, 11:38:43 am
I've just gone and got mesen a HTC Hero (or T - Mobile Touch G2), because although I really fancied an iphone,  I didn't fancy paying iphone money, and for 24 quid a month get 1000 minutes of calls and unlimited everything else, a dedicated business account manager, and a 2 year next day replacement warranty.

I shall report back forthwith when I know how it works etc...

Who (presumably T-Mobile)/where did you get that deal with and were you already with them?

Yes, T-mobile.

No - I had a referral from a colleague - he and I also got 25 quid credit for the referral, so it's not a bad deal at all.

If anyone wants to get the same deal the fella's cool with it so PM me for details (you don't have to be 'a business' either)

Will PM shortly, but does the "everything else umlimited" include net usage, 'cause thats the main thing I use my phone for  :P

underground

• forum hero
#205 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
January 08, 2010, 01:02:42 pm
I bloomin' well hope so  ;D

thustler

• regular
#206 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
January 08, 2010, 02:15:21 pm
Just got a Nokia 5800 as I lost my Tocco and they didn't have any in stock to replace it with so I decided to go for the 5800, first impressions are quite good I'm still getting used to it though, wish 02 would hurry up and activate my sim  :wall:

tomtom

• forum hero
#207 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
January 09, 2010, 12:05:59 pm
Define "better"  :P

Hardware spec?
Ease of use (e.g. accuracy of touch typing on a screen)?
Quality of pictures?

Besides which there is no "best" phone, there are phones that are most suited to an individuals requirements.

this article sums up why I'm not convinced by the Nexus one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/08/google-nexus-one-phone

No multi touch - and for me no connection to MS exchange (for work email) which is so so so good on the iphone (I wish my computer had the iphone email client instead of outlook... its so fast..)

I think the article goes a bit OTT on the google big brother thing - but I find it odd that people seem to dislike the iphone for the 'every cnut's got one' factor or 'apple taking things over' ideas yet seem to ignore the looming omnipresence of google in our lives!

For me the Iphone is the best phone/computer/gadget I have ever bought.. I use it all the time for loads and loads of things.. I wish it were  - faster, better camera, better battery life and sometimes a normal keypad would be good (capacitance touch does not work with gloves on for example) but I suspect the next one annoucned (summer?) will probably be the same but faster better screen and a wee bit smaller etc.. (incremental improvements)...

What I think apple have been quite sneaky about is the 'extras'. In the 18 months I've had my iphone I have invested in probably £60-70 worth of apps, a car charger/cradle/fm transmitter thingy @£50 a DAB radio with a iphone socket £40 and a ipod speaker dock thing £80 - so I have a couple of hundred quids worth of 'stuff' that would be redundant if I didnt use the iphone (I could use it as an ipod still of course). So in some ways I'm already committed to getting the next model etc.. not something I'm overly comfortable with and would be circumvented if apple (and everyone else) used the same connector (which soem have agreed to do I understand).

shrug..

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#208 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 03:23:48 pm
Has anyone got first (or indeed second) hand experience of using an N900 yet?

I see they've just started doing it on O2. I can upgrade in June and was thinking of going for an N86 but the N900 looks pretty fucking cool (for the sake of an extra £5 or so a month depending on how conducive to blagging O2 are at the moment).

Thing is, I'm not a massive geek when it comes to these things but I could do with something that works well for internet browsing, email and other simple shit. I don't want an iphone because everyone's got one, I think they're gay, the camera is shit and I'm not overly keen on only having touchscreen, plus I've always been a Nokia fan.

Is it going to be worth my while getting an N900 or will it do 1000000 things I don't need it to and therefore leave me thinking I should have just got the N86 instead?
 :-\

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#209 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 03:31:16 pm
What would Gordon Brown do?  :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#210 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 03:34:22 pm
Bit early mate?  :alky:  :P

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#211 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 03:42:49 pm
Utterly sober, just childish and it's never to early to make a childish joke at Gordon Brown's expense.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#212 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 03:49:02 pm
Has anyone got first (or indeed second) hand experience of using an N900 yet?

I see they've just started doing it on O2. I can upgrade in June and was thinking of going for an N86 but the N900 looks pretty fucking cool (for the sake of an extra £5 or so a month depending on how conducive to blagging O2 are at the moment).

Thing is, I'm not a massive geek when it comes to these things but I could do with something that works well for internet browsing, email and other simple shit. I don't want an iphone because everyone's got one, I think they're gay, the camera is shit and I'm not overly keen on only having touchscreen, plus I've always been a Nokia fan.

Is it going to be worth my while getting an N900 or will it do 1000000 things I don't need it to and therefore leave me thinking I should have just got the N86 instead?
 :-\

I know someone who's got one and he really likes it.  Haven't had a play myself as I don't see him that often, but my neighbour who does seem him more frequently has been very impressed and is likely to make the switch as he's due to upgrade from his N95.

The N900 is running a customised Linux distro  8)

tomtom

• forum hero
#213 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 03:54:17 pm
Get an Ifern Jasper - you know it makes sense...

cofe

• forum hero
#214 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 03:57:48 pm
when are those new HTC thingies out?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#215 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 04:02:24 pm

I know someone who's got one and he really likes it.  Haven't had a play myself as I don't see him that often, but my neighbour who does seem him more frequently has been very impressed and is likely to make the switch as he's due to upgrade from his N95.

The N900 is running a customised Linux distro  8)

Are they ubergeeks like you though slackers or nearer to the tech-idiot level that I'm at?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#216 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 04:08:47 pm

Are they ubergeeks like you though slackers or nearer to the tech-idiot level that I'm at?

Nowhere near geeks, you'd be fine I reckon.

I'm loving the HTC Hero I got, very nice, easy to use, lots of different functionality (e.g. WiFi Analyser for scanning for wireless networks, analysing strength and suggesting alternative channels to avoid interference; another app for port scanning attached network devices, although I guess this is a but geeky, but there are lots of games etc. too).

Downside is having to wait for the Android 2.* upgrade.

T_B

• forum hero
#217 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 05:00:45 pm

Thing is, I'm not a massive geek when it comes to these things but I could do with something that works well for internet browsing, email and other simple shit. I don't want an iphone because everyone's got one, I think they're gay, the camera is shit and I'm not overly keen on only having touchscreen

BlackBerry 9700? Love mine.

Eddies

• forum hero
#218 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 24, 2010, 11:07:29 pm
Me too. I got the curve first but wasnt happy with it so sent it back and got the Bold. All in all a very good phone.
It just needs a good talking GPS and something like this: http://www.viewranger.com/vrproductinfo.php and it will be spot on.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#219 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 25, 2010, 08:16:58 am
Much better cameras on the Nokias though innit. Looks like similar deals available on O2 on the Blackberry so it's something to consider.

Nowhere near geeks, you'd be fine I reckon.

Nice one.

dave

#220 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 25, 2010, 08:43:52 am
Quick comment on nokia camera, might be relevent: The camera on my 5800 is shit. Half of it is the user interface, in that whatever settings you change from the default, like if you want to go with B&W or change the white balance, these get set back to the factory default every time you close the camera application. This is just garbage and very poorly thought out - the camera on my old sony was much better in this respect.

The other problem is the "flash". I say flash, cos in actual fact is just a constant LED light that comes on for the duration of the exposure, which means it doesn't remotely freeze motion. So you want to take a quick photo indoors, you try without flash and of course its blurred cos your 1 year old won't stay still for long enough, plus the camera set itself to a five-figure ISO so its noisy as fuck.

So you turn the flash on, and hey presto you still get a blurred photo because instead of an instant flash you get a long-duration LED light which means you still get a blurred photo, just one where everything in the foreground is blue (since the camera isn't smart enough to change the whitebalance to flash/daylight) and cos the light is so weak its still at high ISO.....what utter shit. Also cos its a lond duration it makes your one year old blink, so in the photo his eyes will be either half or entirely shut. It could also be to do with the fact the phone can't get the data off the sensor fast enough to use a proper flash, but either way its bollocks. Its like taking a step back to the 1890s and using gunpowder for your flash etc.

So be careful to check out the camera on your proposed nokia first. Or just get a D3x.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#221 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 25, 2010, 09:13:20 am
Cheers Dave. Sounds like a familiar story. My current Nokia can take half decent photos but only if conditions are perfect. It's like a gritstone camera.

Reviews I've read seem to rate the cameras on the N86 (in particular) and the N900. The shots I've seen taken by them certainly piss all over the ones I can get on my current phone (which I think is similar to the one on your 5800).

Both still have the LED flash bollocks though unfortunately although the review of the N86 seemed to rate it as being much improved.

This is quite important to me and is one of the main reasons iwont be getting an iamgayphone.  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#222 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 25, 2010, 10:46:52 pm
This is quite important to me and is one of the main reasons iwont be getting an iamgayphone.  ;)
That sounds like a touch of repressed iphoneuality there :) go on, you know you want to really :)

cofe

• forum hero
#223 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
February 25, 2010, 10:54:14 pm
Palm Pre?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal