UKBouldering.com

Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia (Read 119651 times)

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 01:11:24 pm
looking for some advice from you  techno buffs (Falling Down).
i'm  after a mobile that has good email applications and one that lets me knw when emails arrive rather than having to access all the ime.
also need to have a good camera with it.

any suggestions, insights, feed back on possible choices listed above would be greatful

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#1 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 01:35:49 pm
This link might be useful as a quick reference to things other than an iPhone.

The only other thing that I can offer is that the iPhones camera is not supposed to be that great even on the latest model that has just been released.

bluebrad

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#2 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 01:41:42 pm
Well, i was an Iphone man for over a year. Thought i would try a Blackberry for a change, and i never looked back. Much more seamless in its workings. Ok, its not as fancy or flash but it does the job. Camera does seem to be a tad better on the BB. I find the keyboard on the BB better than the touch screen of the Iphone. BB doesn't crash all the time. BB still has the conversation style GUI SMS'ing of the Iphone which is great. Battery seems a tad worse on the BB. Oh the BB i have is the Bold. It has the wifi which the newer curve doesn't.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#3 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 01:45:56 pm
I've got an iPhone, it's ok for email as I downloaded a hotmail app for it.  Battery life is dire though. Camera is actually really good but is only 2mp  it isn't great to moving objcects or at night as it has up flash.

I think my next phone will be a Blackberry as they are easy to use and have good features. Having said that the N97 from Nokia looks mint.... :shrug:

rich d

• forum hero
#4 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 01:46:54 pm
Just got a blackberry curve from work. Mainly so we can be bothered by emails twenty four seven. It's really good for emails, the camera is ok. Big advantage for me is keyboard on the curve, usable even if you've got sausage fingers. Rich

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 01:54:49 pm
Hey there are far worse gadget freaks than me you know.

If it's a phone you want to use for work and managing work emails then a BB would be the at the top of most peoples lists.  If it was for personal use though I'd choose the iPhone every time.  I use a BB for work but am seriously tempted to buy a new iPhone for my own use.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#6 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 02:02:30 pm
ask Gav, my life is work nowdays.
how does personal use differ to work use?
i speak in the phone the same way??
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:10:35 pm by oldfella »

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 02:15:21 pm
I use a BB for work but am seriously tempted to buy a new iPhone for my own use.
I'm in the same boat (BB for work) and was seriously tempted to get a iPhone for home use...until I worked out it would cost £1200 over two years! (Once you've bought it, insured it and paid £35 monthly) Over three times what I'm paying for a my current phone! Think I'll get a iPod touch for most of the cool apps and one of the iPod alternatives (LG, HTC, Samsung etc) for free + £20/month (instead of £35) etc etc.

Old work Blackberry 8700 is faultless for email/contacts etc. Full querty keyboard, battery lasts for ever (I recon I charge it less than once a week and use it a lot).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 02:22:49 pm
ask Gav, my life is work nowdays.
how does personal use differ to work use?
i speak in the phone the same way??

You get paid to do one and not the other.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#9 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 02:24:22 pm
The new (ish) Blackbery 8900 is a great phone, really smooth to use and an almost HD like display. The best deal we do on it is £29.36 p/m over 24 months, 600 mins, 500 texts, sat nav and unlimited email and web use with the phone free. It comes with a 3.2mp camera and wifi. It isn't 3G though.

It's the most popular Blackberry we sell.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#10 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 02:26:04 pm
I have a blackberry pearl for work and in terms of receiving emails it does the job really well, just notifying as soon as the email arrives. You can view most MS docs  and pdfs too which is useful. replying is simple and I like that the keyboard is standard keyboard layout. The down side is that it's a bit clunky and maybe not as intuitive as the iphone - if I were going for functionality I'd choose the BB, but for a gadget I'd probably choose the iphone.

The cameras not great on the BB though not sure if it's improved

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 03:07:22 pm
IPhone's ace.. new OS makes it much better without any song and dance. Cut and paste is really easy (was cutting and pasting loads of MJ jokes into texts earlier) and now (at last) you get a landscape keyboard when texting - which makes it much better/faster.

The Camera's not brilliant - but does the job. For me the email and calendar is the killer ap. It just hooked straight into works exchange account so all my mails and appointments are synced (and it syncs with works generic contact list which is really neat..). In fact I wish I had the email app on my PC instead of outlook - as its stacks quicker...  In fact when on push email, the phone pings about 5 secs before the PC..

Downsides are battery life CAN (but isnt allways) be crap. Having push email on seems to bring it down - and as its so nice to use, you tend to use it alot just for general crap - and when you light up that nice big screen down goes the battery. TBH, its never been a problem. I have a DAB radio with a dock on the top, so at home it just sits there charging, and a FM transmitter in the car that charges too...

Never had a BB so can't compare - but was really impressed with the IPhone (and I'm an apple loather..)
TT

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#12 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 03:14:13 pm
thanks to you all on the feedback.
 i think i'll be going for the BB Bold. it does everything i need, and it appears that it does it very well.
i've always had a nokia, so i'm sure the change will be causing some headaches...
it was a toss up with the BB pearl, but i  want to get away from little multi letter buttons and a have a decent camers, which the Bold has over the pearl.

:beer2:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 03:15:57 pm
HTC Touch Diamond 2 looks really nice.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#14 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 07:08:24 pm
On a kinda of linked subject, I've been using this website recently http://alatest.co.uk/ which is dead handy and nice to use.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#15 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
June 30, 2009, 07:35:16 pm
been looking for a new phone recently

iphone is too common imo. and bloody expensive

been waiting for the palm pre but with a september release...not sure if my current phone will last that long

the nokia n97 looks and feels good, a full qwerty keyboard is what i'm really after

but did notice the htc diamond touch 2 today....very nice

cofe

• forum hero
#16 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 03, 2009, 01:51:18 pm
anyone got a heads up on the palm pre?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#18 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 03, 2009, 02:10:29 pm
pick up my n97 later from sorting office ;D

Stubbs

#19 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 03, 2009, 02:51:50 pm
Very happy with my Android G1 for web and email stuff, battery life sounds duff compared to the Blackberry (it only lasts >24 hrs if you barely use the net), but the available apps and the googlemaps/gps combo is very good.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#20 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 03, 2009, 09:05:48 pm
Very happy with my Android G1 for web and email stuff, battery life sounds duff compared to the Blackberry (it only lasts >24 hrs if you barely use the net), but the available apps and the googlemaps/gps combo is very good.

I have this too.  Despite it looking like a Star Trek phone the physical keyboard is WAY better for my fat fingers.  It also only cost me £25 a month with more minutes than I could possible use and free internet.

One problem with these alwaysontheinternetphones is that when you go on holiday remember to take another phone. I managed to turn mine onto airplane mode rather than off.  I realised when I landed in Paris and switched it off immediately but was still billed £5 :oops:

IS2

• addict
#21 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 03, 2009, 09:15:13 pm
Does anyone have any info / experience of using the bluetooth link to a car.  I have a samsung tocco and it links to Ford systems but loses a lot of information .. can not get the previous iphone to connect at all ?? 

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#22 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 03, 2009, 10:04:35 pm
Bluetooth is a funny one with different brands of phones and manufactured of car kits there is always going to be a compatability issue.
I have a nokia car kit which I have used very succesfully with all my previous nokia phones and my current HTC diamond winmobie phone.
Your best to look at a ford drivers forum if its an inbuilt ford bluetooth.

Dylog - You need an app that is called nodata. I have it pre installed on the current rom I am using, it basically detects your data connections and allows you to toggle them on or off so there is no chance you can accidentally use your data connection and incur roaming data charges which are £££ (unless of course your dobbin and updating your face ache account is worth every penny)

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#23 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 03, 2009, 10:36:57 pm
Does anyone have any info / experience of using the bluetooth link to a car.  I have a samsung tocco and it links to Ford systems but loses a lot of information .. can not get the previous iphone to connect at all ?? 

My bluetooth car kit is a bit hit and miss with the iphone 3G, it connects OK and outgoing calls are generally OK but incoming take about 10 seconds to connect, by which time the caller has generally hung up.  As far as I can work out from searching the internet, the iphone's bluetooth is a little bit primitive.  It seems to work OK with some bluetooth handsfree and not with others, it also seems that it is only good for use with handsfree and not for sending data etc.. pretty poor IMHO, although the phones good in many other aspects.

Stubbs

#24 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 03, 2009, 10:55:37 pm
One problem with these alwaysontheinternetphones is that when you go on holiday remember to take another phone. I managed to turn mine onto airplane mode rather than off.  I realised when I landed in Paris and switched it off immediately but was still billed £5 :oops:

If you have the 'data connection when roaming' option turned off this shouldn't happen right? I need to get to the bottom of this before heading to the states so I don't get charged loads!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal