David S

• stalker
#50 Re: Westways new matting
June 11, 2009, 01:46:00 pm
Hard Plastic with a film crew - ooh missus :lol:

TRNovice

#51 Re: Westways new matting
June 15, 2009, 11:21:48 pm
I'm pleased to say that as of this evening the Westway are changing their matting.  They are asking customers to comment on the options they have open to them to help them choose the best one.  If you are climb at the Westway please comment on their designs.  :great:

Have never posted on here before, but as a recent convert to bouldering at The Westway, I can only hope that common sense has broken out as suggested by the above. You don't need to be the world's most experienced climber, or an expert in the engineering considerations of human/foam impacts to see that the arrangement in the initial photo is ridiculous.

I have just spent 12 months getting over an ankle injury caused by landing with the ball of my foot on a bouldering mat and the heel over the edge. The mat in question is about 4-5 inches deep (I'm sure the precise measurements are on the DMM site somewhere), God only knows what would happen to someone landing with their feet half on the edge shown, or even with one foot on the upper level and one of the lower. Backslapping onto the edge could conceivably be a major problem.

We all know that climbing involves risks, even indoor climbing, even indoor bouldering. However that doesn't meant that having a pit of crocodiles or a pool of lava under problems is a good idea. That sort of nonsense should be left for grit E-stupids surely.

I'd appreciate a confirmation that the death-trap is being re-thought. If not, then I'll probably take up the idea of a few earlier posters and write to The Westway pointing out the schoolboy error they have perpetrated.

TRNovice

#52 Re: Westways new matting
June 15, 2009, 11:31:27 pm
From The Westway web-site:

The Westway will be hosting the national final of the BMC Youth Climbing Series on Saturday, the 20th June. As a result, the centre will be CLOSED FOR CASUAL CLIMBING ON THE DAY. The lead climbing area and all bouldering will beclosed or severely restricted from Wednesday, the 17th June to Sunday, the 21st June due to the setting for the competition. The walls will re-open again from Monday, the 22nd June.

Maybe the new mat is actually seating for the comp - it's the only explanation that makes any sense!

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#53 Re: Westways new matting
June 24, 2009, 07:03:58 am
I was at the Westway yesterday and they've rectified the step in the matting with a wedge.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#54 Re: Westways new matting
June 24, 2009, 09:52:52 am
I was at the Westway yesterday and they've rectified the step in the matting with a wedge.

Is it the thin end though?

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#55 Re: Westways new matting
June 24, 2009, 10:15:00 am
 :lol:

Is there a smiley for "badoom tch" or "parp parp"?

clm

• forum hero
#56 Re: Westways new matting
June 24, 2009, 11:52:29 am
can we have a photo please?

Can we have a UKB solidarity salute smiley created please ( along the black panthers line)

And doesnt the westways guy who wrote loads defending himself now feel like a bit of a twat? :wank:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal