UKBouldering.com

Turkey dip rocks (Read 4985 times)

Tommy

• junky
Turkey dip rocks
June 25, 2009, 10:45:15 pm
Anyone been to Turkey Dip? I went there today after everyone I knew had recommended to never go there...........

Anyway - really good!! Bit of poor warm up, but the left hand crack line and the big steep prow were superb. I thought they were both pretty difficult for 7c and 7b or maybe I'm just pants today. Having done a bit of limestone sport climbing recently the left line felt considerably harder than other Peak 7c's and likewise for the 7b prow thing. Tricky start!

Is the place very much banned, as I noticed a sign put out on the rockface?

Thanks to Jon for the bolting. Good effort.

JC

• addict
#1 Re: Turkey dip rocks
June 26, 2009, 11:45:38 am
Hey dude nice one for checking it out!!   :thumbsup:  There's not many crags that steep in the peak apart from Thors,  plus its a really nice place to climb.

If your on about 'Step On It' then that's 7c+ & pretty stiff as well i reckon!

As regards access as far as i can gather the owners (who also run the factory up the road) are just turning a blind eye to it. The signs were put up to cover their backs.  I am hoping there won't be anymore problems.

Did you do both routes then?

Tommy

• junky
#2 Re: Turkey dip rocks
June 26, 2009, 04:08:28 pm
Yeah, we got the routes done - just thought they were a bit of a struggle!!  :)

Glad to hear that it's 7c+. I was just doing the routes from a vague memory of having checked the online guide. I thought that it looked a lot more appealing than the right hand crack, which was a little dusty...

Might go back to do the 7b+ groove thing on the right and the 8a lip thingy. Recommended??

Tom

JC

• addict
#3 Re: Turkey dip rocks
June 27, 2009, 05:26:29 pm
Nice one, yeah the corner line is also tricky & quite awkward. Should'nt be a problem for you  ;D

The traverse of the lip is good fun as well, lot's of funky heel work & powerful moves.

Let me know how you get on if you go back.

Jon

dave

#4 Re: Turkey dip rocks
July 14, 2009, 10:42:17 pm
word, at turkey dick what is the line of bolts left of Step On It? Looks good.

JC

• addict
#5 Re: Turkey dip rocks
July 15, 2009, 10:18:30 am
Yeah it is good,  i reckon it might have been an old 80's project judging from the lone bolt that was in the middle of the wall. It's basically a desperate boulder problem on nice slopers and pinches. I gave it 8a+ but take that with a pinch of salt   :)   U been back recently?

dave

#6 Re: Turkey dip rocks
July 15, 2009, 10:22:25 am
i've "been back recently" as in been last night for the first time.

JC

• addict
#7 Re: Turkey dip rocks
July 15, 2009, 10:30:11 am
Oh  nice one, i thought you had been before for some reason  ???    Did you do/try Step On It?  Was the crag dry, i haven't been for a while?

dave

#8 Re: Turkey dip rocks
July 15, 2009, 10:40:18 am
yeah was on SOI. crag was dry although that route was getting runoff at the very top from the pissing rain. everything else looked dry although nothing else looks particularly clean/chalked or frequented.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Re: Turkey dip rocks
July 15, 2009, 01:17:19 pm
I'd be pretty keen to go back to be honest. I thought it was good. that Prow thing is brilliant. One that stuck in the mind as being good.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#10 Re: Turkey dip rocks
September 10, 2009, 08:59:58 pm
Thinking of paying a visit this weekend - does anybody know if its dry?

JC

• addict
#11 Re: Turkey dip rocks
September 11, 2009, 04:12:36 pm
Haven't been recently, but it should be fine. All the other matlock crags are dry, so this should be as well.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#12 Re: Turkey dip rocks
September 12, 2009, 08:46:36 pm
It was dry, and a nice change to get on something really steep. The Weasel onsighted SOI as a parting shot before a trip to Long Tor quarry for a warm-down on the not so steep. Has anybody else noticed that The Boltest is harder than Ruby Fruit Jungle? Or was it just us....

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#13 Re: Turkey dip rocks
September 13, 2009, 10:16:24 am
I always thought The Boltest was a hard 7c and Ruby Fruit an easy 8a but I wouldn't go so far as to say the grades where the wrong way round

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal