UKBouldering.com

hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge (Read 12300 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#25 hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge
August 27, 2004, 02:17:24 pm
squeek  - soak it in water for a bit shifts super glue

Paz

• junky
#26 hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge
August 27, 2004, 04:24:03 pm
It took me a whole afternoon going in about 15 shops before I found the specific shit in the bottle with the brush.  Where I live anyway, the only place that sells that exact product is Motorman, so I'd try your local boy racer automobile hardware shop first (you can pick some up at the same time as you're getting your flourescent under lighting).

dave

#27 hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge
August 27, 2004, 04:28:05 pm
Quote from: "squeek"
Might be a stupid question but, if you glue some finger tape onto your finger how do you get the finger tape off with ripping a load more skin off?  Or do you wait until the glue has dried before putting the tape on?

just pull it off - after you've sweated under it for a bit it'll come off easy with a pull. superglue ain't that strong!

Quote from: "Paz"
It took me a whole afternoon going in about 15 shops before I found the specific shit in the bottle with the brush. Where I live anyway, the only place that sells that exact product is Motorman, so I'd try your local boy racer automobile hardware shop first (you can pick some up at the same time as you're getting your flourescent under lighting).

paz, i walking straight into WHSmiths and got some today.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#28 hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge
September 02, 2005, 08:35:59 am
Useful info found on UKC shocker :shock:  :
Although not labeled as such, over-the-counter Super Glue products contain methyl alcohol, because it is inexpensive to produce. Methyl alcohol is poisonous as are the breakdown products of these superglues, cyanoacetate and formaldehyde, are toxic and can cause inflammatory reactions.

Household superglues have a pronounced heating action when they contact tissue and may even produce burns if the glue contacts a large enough area of wet tissue. Rapid curing may also lead to tissue necrosis. Also the layer produced is weak, easily damaged and is quickly broken down by the bodies skin. Over-the-counter products are therefore inappropriate for use in wound closure (but for very minor fixes I am sure are OK...)

Medical grade products currently available contain either butyl, isobutyl or octyl esters. They are bacteriostatic and painless to apply when used as directed, produce minimal thermal reaction when applied to dry skin and break down harmlessly in tissue. They are essentially inert once dry. Butyl products are rigid when dry, but provide a strong bond. Available octyl products are more flexible when dry, but produce a weaker bond.

When used for repair, ideally the wound to be closed is fresh, clean, fairly shallow, with straight edges that lie together on their own. The glue is applied to bridge over the closed edges; it should not be used within the wound (on raw surfaces), where it will impair cell growth and repair. The only currently approved adhesives suitable for use as suture alternatives are veterinary products;

Vetbond (3M) (n-butyl- cyanoacrylate based)
Nexaband liquid (n-butyl- cyanoacrylate based)
Nexaband S/C (octyl-based)
Histoacryl Blue (butyl based) (Davis & Geck)
Tissu-Glu (isobutyl based) (Medi- West Pharmaceuticals)

Acetone (nail varnish remover) serve as a remover.

Directions for use...

Apply tiny dots of glue sparingly at intervals where the wound edges meet. Or, apply a bead of tiny droplets to bridge the edges. (Thick applications do not enhance bonding and tend to crack and loosen prematurely

You could try sourcing such vet/human grade superglue on the internet I suppose, most sites seem to require you to be a vet from what I can make out from a quick scout about...

Any vets out there?

dave

#29 hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge
September 02, 2005, 09:08:04 am
only 'nam vets i'm afraid.

I think the key phrase in that text for me is "but for very minor fixes I am sure are OK... ".  split tip in the medical sphere of things probably qualifies as an extremely minor fix, as i imagine is glueing on tape. I certainly not yet had any inflamatory reaction to superglue.

On an aside, we now have a new champion for the title of "dave's favourite brand fo superglue". Once loctite reigned supreme, but not any more. In a supermarket in squampton I picked up some superglue cos i got a split and foudn me bottle of loctite had gone hard. I found some stuff called KrazyGlue. I've got to say I was impressed. its  brush-on glue like the loctite stuff but unlike the loctite stuff its not gloopy, its thinner and thus you can get exactly the right amount on, more prescise and you don't end up with too much which I find is the problem with the gloopy loctite. Plus a thin layer of glue is less brittle than a thick layer.

Of course i've not yet put this glue through the real test of a font trip or a winter grit season, but at the moment its top dollar. Probably impossible to get hold of in the UK though but I think its just the standard stuff in canadia. keep your eyes peeled.

webbo

• forum hero
#30 hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge
September 02, 2005, 09:20:50 am
when i was first heard of the sure glue thing.i was told to use krazy glue as that was safe but super glue was'nt.but as you mention i've never seen it in the u.k.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#31 hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge
September 02, 2005, 09:22:43 am
I like the sound of the flexible Octyl vet glue.

webbo

• forum hero
#32 hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge
September 02, 2005, 12:02:56 pm
according to someone on cocktalk you can get the medical superglue at boots.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#33 hit me with some cyanoacrylate knowledge
September 02, 2005, 01:43:20 pm
there's some good knowledge in there, just need to skip over the bullshit

http://www.rockfax.com/forums/t.php?n=144953

cofe

• forum hero
anyone got any up to date knowledge on the best super glue?

got a split/gash that after 6 weeks is simply not healing, regardless of how well i take care of it. it's down the pad where the skin flexes when one crimps and it's doing my head in.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I doubt glue is the way forward Cofe.  I use glue as an emergency session saver to cover splits etc.
I'd suggest you get going with the sandpaper, keep going to just about bleeding.  Then repeat the next day, it should heal fairly well after a bit.  Basically it gets rid of any thickened skin that is stopping it closing.

cofe

• forum hero
that's pretty much what i've been doing word. i've been taking sanding to the next level. just seems to want to keep opening. 8 days in swizz from sunday - i need an option.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
You saying it heals, then re-splits?
If so, not a lot you can do really other than give it time to settle.  Or you could use superglue as a reinforcement, but that may not work 100%.

Personally I use Loctite with the handy brush.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
maybe your sanding too much word.
If you see claret then you've gone too far

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I'd disagree there, Jim.  I sand until the first sign of blood, then stop.
Obviously this method needs you to be having a few days off during the treatment, though.

cofe

• forum hero
don't sand til it bleeds, but near enough, trying to remove edges etc. have been taking time off too which is annoying. the skin then just unzips - it's not like a normal split. i'm thinking glue might be needed to hold the two halves together.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
When I said "first sign of blood" I meant the point where you see red dots in the split, not the point when your floor is turning red.

Cofe, for the split to heal on a tip you'll need to keep it closed for 10 days or so.  My only concern would be sealing up a split that's been there a while and will thus be full of bacteria.  Ther's a slight risk of infection if you chose that route.  Plus there's some evidence some of the ingredients slow healing.

I have had a similar issue earlier in the year with a tip that kept re-splitting and re-healing, it's been about 6 months.  Now I've nor been able to climb for 3 weeks, it's healed.  Go figure  :-\

cofe

• forum hero
forgot to post at the time but when i head the unzip-a-tip (above) i got some of these and i have to say it healed a shit load faster than any cut/split i've had before. didn't wear them 24/7, but had one on most of the day, then let the tip breathe for a bit and moisturised. if i'm unfortunate enough to have a similar cut in the future i'll defo use them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal