UKBouldering.com

glasgow bouldering (Read 4621 times)

rich d

• forum hero
glasgow bouldering
June 23, 2009, 09:51:17 pm
My new job is giving me  some stay overs during the week in glasgow. I'm north east near cumbernauld and wondered where pepes would reccomend for a quick session after work? I boulder up to a very punterish 7a. Cheers rich

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: glasgow bouldering
June 23, 2009, 10:02:53 pm
Ah, the mighty Auchinstarry- not much bouldering though.
Wolfcrag is OK-ish.
Loch Katrine/St Brides/ Ben Ledi would be OK for an evening if you finish early.
Craigmaddie/Campsies.
Craigmore (although I hear it's dirty nowadays)
Dumby.

None are massively close, but there's a few options.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2 Re: glasgow bouldering
June 23, 2009, 10:11:59 pm
Craigmore (although I hear it's dirty nowadays)
Craigmore is fairly minging at the moment, unless you want to climb the easy, polished routes, everything else pretty much needs power-washed.  It's also atrocious for midges at this time of year.  :thumbsdown:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: glasgow bouldering
June 23, 2009, 10:45:55 pm
Shame, used to go there quite a lot (but that was 10 years ago) and it was a good venue.
Although I agree about the midges.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: glasgow bouldering
June 24, 2009, 09:20:32 am
It would probably be alright if it got a decent clean and then some traffic, but the majority of routes were covered in moss last time I was there.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: glasgow bouldering
June 24, 2009, 09:35:42 am
Does the Craig's Wall dude still go?  He was class!
He'd turn up when you were climbing, say "is this hard mister" pointing at Craig's.  If you said Yes he'd burn up it in his trainers.  :lo:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6 Re: glasgow bouldering
June 24, 2009, 11:26:30 am
 :lol:

I've never seen him, but I've not been that often.  I do hope he's still about, he sounds quality.

rich d

• forum hero
#7 Re: glasgow bouldering
June 24, 2009, 06:43:09 pm
Cheers guys. Will give it a go next week, very unlikely I'll finish early but it's light til late. Think I'll try one of the closer venues. 

rich d

• forum hero
#8 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 13, 2009, 11:07:49 am
Assuming the rain kind of holds off this evening, what's Wolfcrag quarry like? Is it likely to be a midge nightmare? Cheers rich

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#9 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 13, 2009, 11:29:25 am
Depends, they cut the trees back recently which makes it nice and open and probably helps a bit, I reckon with a breeze you'd be fine, if there's no breeze it could still be bad for midges.  

It's not very big but there is enough to go at of an evening I would have thought, actually, looking on the Wiki page there's more than I thought, bouldering wise.

Have you had a look on the SC Wiki; http://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Wolfcrag_Quarry

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#10 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 13, 2009, 11:36:45 am
Take Magpie with you  :thumbsup:

rich d

• forum hero
#11 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 13, 2009, 11:41:18 am
Just had a look at the website,thanks for the link, got it on my blackberry so I can see what I'm falling off. Actually looks alright with a bit of luck I'll get a couple of hours in this evening, as I'm finishing in cumbernauld at half five.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 13, 2009, 11:58:02 am
I have been there on a summer's evening before, but don't recall it being particularly midgy, although can't think why it wouldn't have been. It's OK, expect vertical and a fair bit of chipping. Not bad for a bit of a potter though if nearby.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 13, 2009, 12:06:34 pm
Provided the midges are not too bad I think it's a good evening venue, you shuold find enough to have a go at.  It has the ideal walk in, for sure.  ;D

rich d

• forum hero
#14 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 13, 2009, 12:11:56 pm
Cheers guys, looking forward to it, sure beats sitting in the hotel bar reading revelations again trying to not look like a business man picking up prossies.

rich d

• forum hero
#15 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 13, 2009, 03:19:42 pm
Typical, it's absolutely lagging it down. Is it still worth the trip on the off chance that it's sheltered or quick drying

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#16 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 13, 2009, 03:30:17 pm
I don't know how fast it dries, is it breezey up that way, maybe with a good breeze it would be alright, it's certainly not cold out? 

Some of the stuff is fairly steep, or at least vertical, but if it's as wet over there as it is in the city centre I don't know how lucky you'd be, from memory there isn't really anything overhanging that is likely to stay dry.

Oh look, I found you this;
Quote from: UKC
Can be hot and midgy in summer, but can be used year round if the sun creeps in.
Quote from: UKC
Probably the best central belt bouldering outside Dumbie. Excellent in early season, dries quickly, sheltered from the wind and sunny aspect.

So, might be worth a look.  Are you driving there?  If it's not too far I'd still head over and have a look, like you say, better than sitting in the bar and you might get somethig done if the sun comes out later, it's forecast to brighten up, I think.  PLus, it's not like you have to walk in for miles to check, you could probably tell from the road if it's worth getting out the car.  ;D

coolboy

• regular
#17 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 14, 2009, 08:42:16 pm
Wolfcrag is really midgy I'm afraid, was eaten alive last time I visited, should dry really quickly though! better when cooler I'd think as real sun trap.

rich d

• forum hero
#18 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 15, 2009, 05:39:16 pm
Went to have a look, it wasn't at all midgey - think they'd all drowned in the torrential downpour. I'm back there on monday night so I'll give it another go then.

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#19 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 15, 2009, 11:14:30 pm
Delightful spot, innit  ;)

rich d

• forum hero
#20 Re: glasgow bouldering
July 20, 2009, 08:58:22 pm
Was there tonight. Just having a pint to celebrate my new flapper. It's not too bad, a bizzare feel of driving up to ilkley but arriving at stoney. Enjoyed the dynos on the dyno block and the walls. Well worth it for a quick evening session after work. Thanks for all the info guys. According to a local, it dries really quickly and stays sheltered in the rain - worth knowing, and double bonus there were no midges.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal