• Whut
#25 Re: Cheedale F7as
June 21, 2009, 08:50:03 pm
Ummm well, so far, so bad...

Max Head Room **
Max Pax 'em In **
Case Adjourned ** X - failed, slipped off first few moves onto bolt
Darl P1 ***
Quality Control ** X - failed, was doing well but missed a crucial hidden sloper dimple, blew the flash by 1 cm
High Society **
Fatal Attraction **
Martial Music **
Clarion Call ***
Armistice Day **

First time sport-climbing in Chee Dale upper and it was "educational". Hidden holds, bad bolting, and nastily obscure climbing that seems specifically inimical to onsighting. Often all on the same route.

However the two above failures weren't really due to that - QC at least was good climbing and pretty good bolting. Warming up at Max Wall on the other hand [insert puking smiley here] if the grades and general feel are anything to go by I'll be leaving the Max routes for a while.

Hmmmm....!!

yorkshirewarcry

• player
#26 Re: Cheedale F7as
June 22, 2009, 09:16:58 pm
Sounds like you had...errrmmm...fun.

I find onsighting pretty hard at Cheedale due to the routes being quite tricky to "read" in most cases.  However, this IS sport climbing, and the routes being tricky to onsight isn't necessarily reason to abandon Max Wall altogether.

I thought Max Head Room, the 7a immediately right and Max to the Wall would be onsightable...although that's not to say I onsighted them.

I don't think Quality Control differs too much in style from the other routes of similar grade down there, apart from it being very low in the grade. 

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Cheedale F7as
June 22, 2009, 10:08:34 pm

First time sport-climbing in Chee Dale upper and it was "educational". Hidden holds, bad bolting, and nastily obscure climbing that seems specifically inimical to onsighting. Often all on the same route.

Just to confirm, you went climbing on peak limestone and are surprised by this?!  :-\

It's what peak lime's all about...   :great:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#28 Re: Cheedale F7as
June 23, 2009, 01:09:15 pm

Just to confirm, you went climbing on peak limestone and are surprised by this?!  :-\

It's what peak British lime's all about...   :great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal