UKBouldering.com

"They Called It Acid" (Read 11434 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
"They Called It Acid"
June 13, 2009, 02:59:22 pm

Looking forward to this film coming out next year so I can get teary eyed about my yoof :)

Trailer:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 15, 2009, 11:32:43 am
That looks good.

Read a book on the history of the acid scene (can't remember the title, but it came with a free CD that was okayish), very interesting to find out about the history of it all.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 15, 2009, 12:29:55 pm
Energy Flash, Slackers?  Big thick book, purple cover, free CD including the Joey Beltram title track?  There are a few really good books in a similar vein.

Film looks awesome; I will watch and wish, yet again, that I'd been born a few years earlier.  :'(

As an aside, what the fuck is going on with Paul Oakenfold's hair?  :lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 15, 2009, 12:36:52 pm
Energy Flash, Slackers?  Big thick book, purple cover, free CD including the Joey Beltram title track?  There are a few really good books in a similar vein.

Aye thats the one, for some dumb reason I had "Flashdance" in my head and was getting lots of Patrick Swayze films recommended by Amazon.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 15, 2009, 12:46:27 pm
You weren't that far off. :lol:

Patrick Swazye isn't even in Flashdance, although maybe it's suggesting other things you'd like.  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 15, 2009, 01:08:44 pm
Hmm, I seem to have confused my Flashdance with my Dirty Dancing, Paula would be so ashamed of me  :-[

dave

#6 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 15, 2009, 01:20:45 pm

I didn't realise paul mitchell was moonlighting as a club promoter.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#7 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 15, 2009, 01:41:31 pm
A tragic period in music history.

uptown

• junky
#8 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 16, 2009, 01:07:42 pm
That KLF tee got me reaching for some classic oldskool vinyl!
Probably worth a different thread, but what were the best free parties in the peak (back in that day) which people attended? I bet a lot of us don't know we know each other...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 16, 2009, 01:21:08 pm
One of the best I went to involved us driving out past Stocksbridge to where the original venue was supposed to be. We had a convoy of about six cars and eventually found the place after loads of dead ends and wrong turns only to be told by a bloke there (who was putting up a sign for later arrivals) that it had been moved to Ringinglow at the last minute. I was pleased as it meant more driving and we were in my mate's company Golf GTi, I was off my face, had loads of booze on me and we had a Chemical Brothers CD on. The party when we eventually got there was really good too.

Nearly got shot by an irate farmer once when we were trying to find a party out near Derby somewhere. The directions were shit and had told us to take the first turning off this little lane rather than the second. We realised the first turning was wrong when we saw the posh farmhouse and were already turning the car round as the farmer came out with his shotgun shouting about being "sick of this!". Obviously he'd already had hundreds of misguided ravers doing the same as we encountered another two cars on our way back down the lane who we were able to persuade not to continue. It was another good do. They all were.............

:pissed:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 16, 2009, 01:32:20 pm
but what were the best free parties in the peak (back in that day) which people attended?
The one in Lady Canning's Plantation (Ringinglow) where I met the woman that I started seeing shortly afterwards and am still with over 16 years later  :hug:  :kiss2:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 16, 2009, 01:56:32 pm
Nice.  :-*

Met a guy at the St Etienne gig at the Leadmill recently who had met his Mrs at the same club 15 years earlier (at Rise I think). Quite funny as we were exchanging stories of clubbing but also showing each other photos of our kids and "we don't get out much now" type comments. *insert pipe and slippers smiley here*

uptown

• junky
#12 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 16, 2009, 01:58:09 pm
but what were the best free parties in the peak (back in that day) which people attended?
The one in Lady Canning's Plantation (Ringinglow) where I met the woman that I started seeing shortly afterwards and am still with over 16 years later  :hug:  :kiss2:

Arrr, that's  8):beer2:
I remember going to one in LC's plantation. The sounds were well hidden until you got real close.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 16, 2009, 02:12:44 pm

Yeah, it was deep in the woods - half ravers, half travellers and a big fire - good times :)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#14 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 16, 2009, 02:19:11 pm
For me in no particular order
Ministry of Sound '89-my friend was a secretary there and we got in free, we looked like tramps compared to evreyone in there.Strangely the d/js and other details are very vague in my memory.
Weds Night at the Leadmill '86- all the climbers used to go to this, a rare groove/funk/beats thing which was massive in the north with people attending from all over. I heard my first House record here and my first acid house track, blew me away at the time.
Bugged out circa 96- me and Bubbs grooving, Bubs gives it some on the whistle,cue 1200 hands in the air and the place goes mental.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 16, 2009, 02:53:16 pm
Went to an amazing one near the start of the Woodhead Pass around 99/00.

Friend drove me and his girlfriend out, parked up and took the opportunity to neck the first pills of the evening and skin-up.  Almost done and there's a knock on the window, they need some more petrol for the generator, so off we drive to the nearest station with this random guy and his jerry can.  Becomes apparent when he can't get the nozzle in the can that he's been at the party for some time.  He then proceded to slosh petrol all over the back seat and my mates girlfriend as he clambers back in (we decided it best not to pass the spliff back on the way back to the car park!).

Trotted off down the track to find a couple of sound systems set up.  Pills had kicked in, but scored some acid and partied the night away.  Wander down to the top of the reservoir around sunrise to see a lovely rainbow (honest, it wasn't just me, there were others there who hadn't imbibed psychedlics who vouch for its presence).  Randomly pickled up what litter we passed on the way back to the car (which still stunk of petrol) and picked up some random hitcher on the way back.  Probably scared the shit out of him as we were all quite still twisted (including the driver!), but we eventually got back to Sheffield in one piece where we waited for the off license by the Arts Tower to sell us beer before getting stuck into said beer in Firth Park watching early(ish) morning Thai Chi, then back to home for more smokes accompanied by John Lee Hookers "Free Beer and Chicken".

Top night out  :thumbsup:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#16 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 16, 2009, 03:23:08 pm
The second outdoor do we attempted to get to up Ringinglow was badly busted - as we turned a corner there was a whole compound of cops gathered with big arc lights and shit set up.

I stuffed my 3 baggies in my gob - a cop was staring at me through the car window as I did it but for some reason he didn't twig. I'm there chatting to them as they searched us and the car - could barely speak due to all the polythene in my gob thinking "they're just messing about with me here". But no, I was free to go, result!

Not so two mates who got to spend the night in the nick, off their tits on whatever they'd managed to down before being searched :lol:

I never went to a load of outdoor parties, spent most of my time in the mad-holes of the Donny Warehouse and Venue 44 in Mansfield, though we did travel extensively around the North and Midlands too. Later on that turned into weekly techno devotion at the Orbit, Bugged Out, etc.

Bugged out circa 96- me and Bubbs grooving, Bubs gives it some on the whistle,cue 1200 hands in the air and the place goes mental.
Yeah, that was insane - an proper old '91 moment in a '96 club :)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#17 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 17, 2009, 07:00:51 pm
First dance club I ever went to was at the Doncaster Warehouse - Rotterdam Records special gabber night :)  :bounce:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#18 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 17, 2009, 08:39:04 pm
The second outdoor do we attempted to get to up Ringinglow was badly busted - as we turned a corner there was a whole compound of cops gathered with big arc lights and shit set up.

Was that the one that Patta got busted at?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#19 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 17, 2009, 10:26:54 pm
Went to several slightly chavy parties in the field , in Attercliffe.
Seem to remember Jasper being dressed as a Road Traffic Accident (luminous jacket and plastic bunting) at one do. Ironic, as this venue always attracts a lot of high powered cars being badly driven by youths who obviously don't own them.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 18, 2009, 12:52:55 am

Was that the one that Patta got busted at?

Yeah, Patta & Glen got nicked I seem to recall. I was well lucky !

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#21 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 18, 2009, 09:46:11 am
Went to several slightly chavy parties in the field , in Attercliffe.
Seem to remember Jasper being dressed as a Road Traffic Accident (luminous jacket and plastic bunting) at one do. Ironic, as this venue always attracts a lot of high powered cars being badly driven by youths who obviously don't own them.

Ha ha, yes I think I was. I remember one there that was really shit. It was pissing it down and we had vodka etc at home. It was a no brainer to immediately bail out.

The ones nearby at Aubrey's warehouse were much much better. Awesome in fact.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#22 Re: "They Called It Acid"
June 18, 2009, 06:06:28 pm
I think Patta quite literally took the (w)rap for Flo. Her being a teacher and all that. Wasn't that sweet of him  :kiss1:

rich d

• forum hero
#23 Re: "They Called It Acid"
July 01, 2009, 01:11:37 pm
Only got to donnie wharehouse a couple of times think it was byo. spent most of my time in palais off my head before staggering to cj's or up spittal hill to carry on. Hardly ever did outdoors especially after spending a freezing new years night in donnie train station after a party at parots corner got shut down just as we were arriving.we'd been to an all dayer at ritzees where I vaguely remember lots of fredie kruger stuff going on.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#24 Re: "They Called It Acid"
July 01, 2009, 05:16:19 pm
On went to BYO the once, on my 30th, my first proper all-nighter. Ahh, happy but vague memories)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: "They Called It Acid"
May 24, 2013, 10:16:33 pm

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Re: "They Called It Acid"
May 24, 2013, 10:52:26 pm
 :thumbsup:

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#27 Re: "They Called It Acid"
May 25, 2013, 01:09:36 am
Coincidentally, one of my mates just did a mix for the Hacienda's 31st birthday...

https://soundcloud.com/hacienda-records/jon-dasilvas-hacienda-31st#play

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#28 Re: "They Called It Acid"
May 25, 2013, 07:55:19 am
I wish I was about when all that was kicking off. I've been to some bloody good raves and parties but there's something magical about those early days and that scene. Jealous.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal