UKBouldering.com

Microsoft really are the spawn of satan.... (Read 36659 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Grrrr....
Went to get some lunch, returned to my PC and found that the auto updates had installed AND automatically re-started my PC. Lost some work and some model runs I'd had going for 2 days. Wankers. C*nts. What gives them the right to auto start my machine.
Rant over.

PS (was running XP hence subject)

Paul B

• forum hero
I learned to turn auto install updates off the hard way as well. Just count your blessings you only lost 2 days worth of run time...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Time to check out an alternative  :whistle:

Of course it depends what software you're modelling in, but if its something you've written yourself then it will likely compile fine (unless there are quirks as to the compiler you've been using under M$).

tomtom

• forum hero
Time to check out an alternative  :whistle:

Of course it depends what software you're modelling in, but if its something you've written yourself then it will likely compile fine (unless there are quirks as to the compiler you've been using under M$).

I have the auto updates turned off - but I clicked OK to update this one, figuring I'd restart tomorrow or whatever but, the bastard caught me by surprise!

Afraid not... Visual C#.. lovely language, just has to run through the .net run time engine (or whatever its called). There is a linux rival/workaround - but from my previous tries its not easy to get working (I couldnt) and is quite possibly slower. Of course I should re -write everything in c++.... but thats for another life  :)

In a by the by way kind of way, I used to code in C and work entirely on a Linux/Unix platform... but in 2003 I ported it all over to C# so I could make it look nice (see what was happening etc..) and all of a sudden I had loads of people interested in using it. Twice as slow, but 10 times more accessible for others...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Fair-do's.  One of the Linux C# compiler is part of the Mono project.

underground

• forum hero
slackers, just some quick Q's - yes/no answers are cool.

Can I install some kind of VM software now to have a go at running properly under linux, before flattening my drive (not the CD bootable thing, I mean actually do stuff for real)

Does most of the software I'd want have linux specific alternatives (and have it freely available)?

Could I ever use an MS emulator if i wanted to use some MS only software (that's unlikely though).

I fancy a go at this, still don't really care much for Vista but it took so long to get all the drivers etc. I don't want to revert to XP! (plus it's nice having a licensed OS)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I'll pretend to be Slack--Line for a second!

Can I install some kind of VM software now to have a go at running properly under linux, before flattening my drive
Try VmWare

Does most of the software I'd want have linux specific alternatives (and have it freely available)?
Depends what you want.

Could I ever use an MS emulator if i wanted to use some MS only software (that's unlikely though).
You can run Windows in something like VmWare under Linux.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I'll pretend to be Slack--Line for a second!

Can I install some kind of VM software now to have a go at running properly under linux, before flattening my drive
Try VmWare

Depends what you want.

You can run Windows in something like VmWare under Linux.

:-\ Either I'm becoming too predictable, or I've been banging my drum for too long (or more likely both) :lol:

What Bubba said, you can get VMware for Windows and Linux, you install it and it then provides a Virtual Machine under which to install and run other OS's, so you could buy a windows version to install and test linux out without wiping your current Vista install.  After a while if you're happy, back all your data up, install Linux then get VMware for Linux and you can install M$ under Linux to run any Windoze specific software.

Like Bubba says there are Linux alternatives for almost everything, music production is slightly lacking and there's a bit of a gap in video editing (much of the heavy CGI films of recent years are rendered on "farms" of linux machines, but I've no idea what the man-in-the-street level of support is).

Just ask if you want any more info :)

tomtom

• forum hero
For some (probably masochistic) reason I decided that because I was pissed off with MS, I should try the evaulation version of Windows 7 on spare laptop at work....

its actually quite good and installed perfectly....   :-\

Hmm, will go look for faults now  ;)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
well its your own fault for turning them on tbh, always update manually.
plus if you need to keep your computer running for 2 days it must be too slow

tomtom

• forum hero
Its the auto-restart that caught me out. I normally update, then restart at my leisure... Unfortunately some elements of MS products are crippled/forced by the work image/regulations..

Robl

• addict
  • A bit of an animal
ha ha ha! yes they are abunch of c*nts.....   :furious:  :agree:

Paul B

• forum hero

I have to keep mine running for 28 days per simulation! When you're working with things that are iterative this isn't unusual.

tomtom

• forum hero

I have to keep mine running for 28 days per simulation! When you're working with things that are iterative this isn't unusual.

are you doing CFD things Paul?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Do you use iceberg and the queue/load-balancing for that Paul?

2 days isn't that long for simulations, particularly if they're Markov-Chain Monte Carlo type ones.  I've had pedigree data that takes a good week to analyse, not quite the 28 days, but there are some very large pedigrees (e.g. from the Framingham Heart Study) that take longer than 28days depending on the number of data points you have on each person.

It depends realy on whether you're problem is conducive to parrallel processing, and not all computations are.

Paul B

• forum hero
i use iceberg and my own machine, my own machine is quicker (or was last time I checked, its now had an upgrade I believe)...

Fluent works with parallel processing but securing a mass number of licenses isn't easy. I've got 4 paralle process licenses which is adequate ish.

tomtom

• forum hero
i use iceberg and my own machine, my own machine is quicker (or was last time I checked, its now had an upgrade I believe)...

Fluent works with parallel processing but securing a mass number of licenses isn't easy. I've got 4 paralle process licenses which is adequate ish.

Any of you guys tinkered with CUDA and GPU? Was thinking of getting a card/machine combo but have been semi put off by reports that its bloody hard to code/deal with...

Paul B

• forum hero
nope sorry.

underground

• forum hero
Currently as far with gentoo as typing 'ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0 /etc/make.profile'

and then 'emerge system'

and i get an error - 'ARCH is not set!!! Are you missing the etc/make.profile symlink?

no idea what to do next, done a load of googling and I can't see how to make the profile the 'meaningful' one.....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Code: [Select]
[quote author=underground link=topic=11879.msg204986#msg204986 date=1244763566]
Currently as far with gentoo as typing 'ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0 /etc/make.profile'

and then 'emerge system'

and i get an error - 'ARCH is not set!!! Are you missing the etc/make.profile symlink?

no idea what to do next, done a load of googling and I can't see how to make the profile the 'meaningful' one.....
[/quote]

Try...

[code]
ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop /etc/make.profile

Then edit your /etc/make.conf and put the arch you're on, it'll either be x86 or amd64.  The later is if you have a 64-bit processor, whether its Intel or AMD...

Code: ("/etc/make.conf") [Select]
KEYWORDS="x86"
Then you can check if ARCH is set with...

emerge --info | grep 'ARCH'
Jump on the Gentoo forums, exceptionally useful and very helpful (or continue to ask me  :) )
[/code]

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :-\ I fucked up there on the quoting/code tags  :-[

Further evidence that M$-Windoze are  :wank:

They're going to push up the price of netbooks, so make sure you choose one with GNU/Linux on  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
:-\ I fucked up there on the quoting/code tags  :-[

Further evidence that M$-Windoze are  :wank:

They're going to push up the price of netbooks, so make sure you choose one with GNU/Linux on  :)

Or Android...??

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

They're going to push up the price of netbooks, so make sure you choose one with GNU/Linux on  :)

Or Android...??

Indeed, although Android uses the Linux part (i.e. the kernel) of GNU/Linux anyway  :P

tomtom

• forum hero

Or Android...??
Is suspected as much! now if Apple released OS XIIXVI (or whatever its now called - probably snow-rabbit or something) for PC's that would be a winner IMHO - and introduce people to unix...

Indeed, although Android uses the Linux part (i.e. the kernel) of GNU/Linux anyway  :P

underground

• forum hero
[quote author=underground link=topic=11879.msg204986#msg204986 date=1244763566]

and then 'emerge system'

[/quote]

Try...

[code]
ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop /etc/make.profile

Then edit your /etc/make.conf and put the arch you're on, it'll either be x86 or amd64.  The later is if you have a 64-bit processor, whether its Intel or AMD...

Code: ("/etc/make.conf") [Select]
KEYWORDS="x86"
Then you can check if ARCH is set with...

emerge --info | grep 'ARCH'
Jump on the Gentoo forums, exceptionally useful and very helpful (or continue to ask me  :) )
[/code]

Ok thanks slackers! I'm now at the stage of 'editing' the make.conf  - I'm not sure how you mean the code should be entered, and what the KEYWORDS "x86" means - the stage before it worked and I got a 'file exists', but doing the grep just brings upo the next command line and does nowt. ARCH is definitely not set yet  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal