UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1350675 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Well, well that was a resounding success wasn’t it? At least City had the grace to pull out first. Woodward gone now too - I imagine the Glaxers and Kroenke are in deep shit now.

:popcorn:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Well, well that was a resounding success wasn’t it? At least City had the grace to pull out first. Woodward gone now too - I imagine the Glaxers and Kroenke are in deep shit now.

:popcorn:

They might still get some measure of success though.  UEFA will soon announce a new finance package for the Champions League.  What's the betting that there will be more concessions than expected for the big clubs?

petejh

• forum hero
Good news and the right result.

JP Morgan F.C. v Goldman Sachs United by 2026 anyone..

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
And in 2056 the all-Terra Champions League semi-finals will be:

Weyland-Yutani versus Tyrell Corporation, to be played in Neo Tokyo;
Cyberdyne Systems versus Gattaca Aerospace, to be played in the Sprawl.

If scores are level after the full 15 minutes, games advance to zero-g extra time under Speedball - Brutal Deluxe rules. 

petejh

• forum hero
 :lol:

Both games to be adjudicated by the updated mark IV versions of Lockheed-Martin's Collina-Bot, installed with Microsoft 'Hawkeye' version 1.0.2

tomtom

• forum hero
So it’s back around for the super league..

I am (honestly) a little disappointed. I’d have watched it.

It was at least an honest grab for money rather than dressed up as ‘for our fans’ bullshit...

Really this just kicks the can further down the road... some sort of break away / more super important champions league is surely on the horizon.

In the less stratospheric levels of league one - Hull City's draw against Sunderland last night was a big step towards guaranteed promotion back to the Championship. 👏👍👍

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Really this just kicks the can further down the road... some sort of break away / more super important champions league is surely on the horizon.

Fans have been pretty emphatic that they don't want it though.

Well Chelsea, City and Liverpool fans anyway, haven't heard from Utd, Spurs and Arsenal.  That that's split on clubs who have recently/are likely to win the league could be coincidence.

Not sure where they'd go from here, without German and French teams, the extra five teams, UEFA, fans, media, players, government even. And now they know it means expulsion from their FAs.

tomtom

• forum hero
So it’s back around for the super league..

I am (honestly) a little disappointed. I’d have watched it.

It was at least an honest grab for money rather than dressed up as ‘for our fans’ bullshit...

In the less stratospheric levels of league one - Hull City's draw against Sunderland last night was a big step towards guaranteed promotion back to the Championship. 👏👍👍

Surprised Pete puntered me for this post...

I’d have thought UKB’s George Gekko would be all over Super £eague - after all it (was) a new venture designed to screw some more money from somewhere :D

mark20

• junky
Sheffield United can confirm plans to break away from the Premiere League to join 23 other teams in another league, the Championship

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
The dust settles on a weird football season but the only final table anyone* is really focusing on is that of Robugen Antihydral UKB Super League.

I can’t do a screenshot without my team highlighted which is a shame as I finished mid table yetafuckinggain but congratulations to Mark20. Your lifetime supply of antihydral** is in the post and will hopefully help with the sad passing of Ron Hill yesterday.

I’d love to hear reports of what everyone thinks of their real life teams’ fortunes this year.

*especially Blades fans
**two tubes

bolehillbilly

• stalker
[quote author=cheque link=topic=118

I can’t do a screenshot without my team highlighted which is a shame as I finished mid table yetafuckinggain but congratulations to Mark20. Your lifetime supply of antihydral** is in the post and will hopefully help with the sad passing of Ron Hill yesterday.

I’d love to hear reports of what everyone thinks of their real life teams’ fortunes this year.

*especially Blades fans
**two tubes
[/quote]

Two tubes? I didn't realise the stakes were so high. Have to say well done to Mark20,.  :clap2:  impressive dedication and performance in a difficult season. If he gave the same application to his climbing he could be half decent.
Thanks for organising Mike,  looking forward to next season and finishing above you . Any early news of potential sponsors for the 21-22 league?

tomtom

• forum hero
HCAFC. Really odd season. At one point felt like we would be relegated but made some good loan signings and ended up League 1 champs.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
We (Mansfield Town) had a dismal start and sacked our manager at the end of October after losing 4-2 to newly-promoted Barrow.

After he was replaced with Nigel Clough (you might think there’d be local rivalry issues employing him but Forest have always been at least a division apart from us-Chesterfield and in recent years Notts County are our real rivals- and anyone with any kind of cachet from higher up the pyramid will always be welcomed with open arms at Field Mill) who immediately got us winning  and we won five on the bounce in January, suddenly looking like the playoffs was a more realistic proposition then relegation. Sadly that did not last, the slide began again and it took a strong finish of four wins in the last five matches to guarantee safety. In the end we drew 19 matches, second only to Walsall who drew 20…

Coming into this season I thought the pandemic would put us and a lot of similarly-sized clubs no-one cares about (funny how fans of big six clubs get disillusioned they earnestly swear to start supporting their local non-league club rather than their local league club) out of business and if the Superleague had have gone ahead I’m sure it would have. But we still exist and have, in some senses, the best manager in our division so maybe next season will be a good one. As usual many of our best players were loanees who’ll be going back but they weren’t that good anyway!

mark20

• junky
Sheffield United's season started so badly, it was all over by Xmas, so I could really enjoy the rest of the season as a neutral - and worry about my Fantasy team instead  :whistle: Got a bit close at the end with Ben Meakin, surely the bookies tip for next season, fly up the table with some big scores. But I just got over the line in the end, and "we go again" next season  :boxing:

I should note I'm only really an adopted Sheffield United fan since I got back into football at the last world cup, and I'll be in a bit of a predicament when my boyhood club, Coventry City, play them next season.
Coventry actually had a decent first season back in the Championship, occasionally flirting with the relegation zone but finishing relatively comfortably. They're back in their home stadium The Ricoh next season which may help, but they were actually quite good at 'home' this season, but terrible away. So without investment in what is pretty much their League 1 team, it will most likely still be a bit of a scrap.

It was nice that those who watched the dire Europa League final last night were eventually rewarded with a tense shootout and inevitable De Gea penalty miss  :lol: Lets hope to UCL final is a lot better

andy popp

• forum hero
WTH! We live a mile from Parken. Has gone weirdly quite here, except for the five motorcycle cops that just blasted up the street.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
WTH! We live a mile from Parken. Has gone weirdly quite here, except for the five motorcycle cops that just blasted up the street.

https://twitter.com/MicGWagner/status/1403770674569748481

Weird that none of the player started giving heart massage but opted to wait for the medical staff. I was always told to start massaging immediately.

andy popp

• forum hero
I guess there was a degree of shock?

But even more weirdly, it has just been announced the game will resume at 20.30 CET.

petejh

• forum hero
It would be different if he was still unconscious and fighting for life, in which case it would seem improper to restart. But he was stabilised and is awake in hospital and while he may not play football again(?), he will recover. So I don't see a reason why the game wouldn't be resumed this evening. His teammates and opposition players will have been heartened that the outcome wasn't worse. In a bigger picture, many anonymous people in Copenhagen will have died within a 5 mile radius of the stadium this evening.. their once-employers will resume business tomorrow.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

https://twitter.com/MicGWagner/status/1403770674569748481

Weird that none of the player started giving heart massage but opted to wait for the medical staff. I was always told to start massaging immediately.

You would assume with medical staff on the sideline and risks associated with doing things wrong, players would have a general instruction not to try and give any form of medical assistance to another player.

tomtom

• forum hero
From the account of the Danish teams doctor - the Danish captain (I think) got his tongue out from the back of his throat/cleared his airway - and when the Doctor arrived the player was breathing with a weak pulse, “his situation rapidly deteriorated” and thats when they started giving CPR.

“ Well, he was gone. We did cardiac resuscitation. And it was cardiac arrest. How close were we [to losing him]? I don’t know. We got him back after one defib (defibrillation), so that’s quite fast."

So - players did the right thing by all accounts...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Bugger :(

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Are we doing a league this season?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Thanks for the  :jab: Adam.

League set up now. Thanks to our new sponsor!

If you competed last year you should be registered automatically, for any new competitors the code is o2p3gy .

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
No comment from Geordie ukbers on the Saudi takeover at St James’s Park? Is it just the modern way if the club owners like to avoid bad press with murder and dismemberment? After all this is a state actor, not just a Russian who retained a bit of Gazprom profit for their own benefit.
gme? graemeA? (Yes I know you’re a mackem) What do you think?  :jab:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal