UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 717720 times)

cheque

• forum hero
  • Hangdog millionaire
    • Cheque Pictures
 :agree:

Do you mean the best teams of the nations that traditionally produce the best teams nai?

Nutty

• player
This is awful, the World cup gives the opportunity to see the best teams pitted against one another and now we're denied that.

Given the previous winners were knocked out in the group stages in 2002, 2010 and 2014, why does the same thing happening in this tournament come as a shock and cause wailing and gnashing of teeth?

cheque

• forum hero
  • Hangdog millionaire
    • Cheque Pictures
Do you mean the best teams or the nations that traditionally produce the best teams nai?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Cute and fluffy
    • Unknown Stones
This is awful, the World cup gives the opportunity to see the best teams pitted against one another and now we're denied that.

If they're the best teams, why have they been knocked out? The best team should be able to give South Korea a drubbing, nein?

Personally, I want to see as many upsets as possible. I nearly cried when the last effort from Iran didn't go in. Imagine what would have happened if Portugal had been knocked out by Iran because of crap refereeing. They would have ripped the stadium apart and torn the ref limb from limb. Now that's television.

mark20

• forum abuser
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44620166
Good graphic showing England's potential matches depending on where we finish in our group tonight. Sounds like Southgate wants to win and keep the momentum going.

powderpuff

I think Ally McCoist is my favourite ex-player-assistant-commentator at the moment.

Totally agree.
Ally McCoist makes you realise   listening to football commentary doesn't have be a form of torture.

And how any organisation would give Glen Hoddle a job given his past comments and uninspiring commentary is beyond me.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
On the commentary thing.

Can't stand:

Clive Tydlesley (did you commentate on "that night in Istanbul Clive? You never mention it..."
Lawro
Hoddle
Alan Green
Steve Claridge

I mainly follow football on the radio (which I think I now prefer over TV actually). Of the new crop for this World Cup I think Dion Dublin is OK, and while people seem to think that while Terry Butcher is a bit a ledge I really don't rate his commentary - same with Chris Sutton, though his love for Iran this tournament culminated in a great section for the last bit of the Iran v Portugal game the other night.

I've got a lot of time for Jermaine Jenas in commentator / summariser mode as well as his punditry - he's eloquent, gives real insight and can do actual wit in moderation, not constant shit "bantz", and on the Friday evening show on R5 he has a good partnership with Mark Chapman.

Really enjoy any match with Pat Nevin on duty, and Jonathan Pearce, if only because you can occasionally forget you're watching football and mistake it for Robot Wars when he goes "full shout"!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Well that was a bit  :sick: :blink: :shit: :icon_beerchug: :2thumbsup: :clap2:

cheque

• forum hero
  • Hangdog millionaire
    • Cheque Pictures
Another World Cup where we’ve been beaten around the head with the idea that Brazil are considerably better than they actually are. They had a great defense this time but lacked invention and cohesiveness going forward and were shockingly easily dispossessed (particularly Neymar) in all their games, not just last night’s. It seemed obvious to me that if Belgium could get one or two goals then Brazil wouldn’t be able to respond and, unlike many of my confident football predictions, it came true. Belgium were lucky not to concede a penalty but could probably have kept a clean sheet if Martinez hadn’t left the substitutions so late.

I reckon England have a decent chance today but not a prayer beyond that. It’s great to see an England side have a good a tournament but I think we’re getting carried away with the idea that we can win it.

Alex Scott is my favourite in-the-studio pundit- she’s so enthusiastic and does the level of “homework” that all the pundits should :wub:

Jenas is definitely improved now he’s lost the “prefect allowed to hang out with the teachers” vibe of being scared to disagree with anyone else and he’s answering questions by rephrasing the question far less. Chapman is great with someone like him as he’s not afraid to just tell pundits when they’ve not given him a satisfactory response.  :lol:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Cute and fluffy
    • Unknown Stones
I reckon England have a decent chance today but not a prayer beyond that. It’s great to see an England side have a good a tournament but I think we’re getting carried away with the idea that we can win it.

:chair:

It's coming home.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Good game last night.  Brazil looked physically weaker, smaller and slower than the massive Belgians.  I think it was the match with most City players in too... Vincent Company really clobbered Gabriel Jesus in the 2nd half.

Looking forward to today.. QFs then off to see The Cure in Hyde Park...

jwi

• forum hero
  • uhm... huh?
    • On Steep Ground
I'm not sufficiently patriotic/not keen enough on drugs to watch a Sweden game. Sweden-England will be a excruciating snoozefest. Good luck to anyone who's watching.

mark20

• forum abuser
Agree with Cheque, though not as confident England will win this one. Did we even have a shot on target against Columbia? All the possession but lacking those runs into the box and final touches. We need Lingard/Alli at the top of their game today to break through the Swedish defense. I predict an excruciating 1-1 and penalties ...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Agree with Cheque, though not as confident England will win this one. Did we even have a shot on target against Columbia? All the possession but lacking those runs into the box and final touches. We need Lingard/Alli at the top of their game today to break through the Swedish defense. I predict an excruciating 1-1 and penalties ...

No we didn’t - not a single shot on target from open play.  We also gave the ball away far to often in the second half.  Sweden aren’t going to generously gift us all those free kicks and a penalty that Colombia did either.  Let’s see eh!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Bloody hell - brilliant!!

tomtom

• forum hero
Had to be in work today for an open day... but did this to pass the spare time :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi0IHREAmjE&feature=youtu.be

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Ace 😀😀

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Cute and fluffy
    • Unknown Stones
I spoke to Moose at the crag today. I said "is it coming home?".
He gave it odds of 10 to 1.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I was possibly being a little pessimistic... maybe 15%.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
So sorry guys.

cheque

• forum hero
  • Hangdog millionaire
    • Cheque Pictures
Well at least we didn’t get carried away enough to create a shitload of hubristic memes...

Every time England have gone out of a major tournament since 1996 I’ve felt frustrated at the squad I some way- now I just feel proud of what a young and in some ways naïve team achieved and the way they (mostly) did it.

I don’t think anyone can argue with the result- we were so good and Croatia so flat in the first half but they really made us pay for not getting a second goal from halftime onwards. I’m not sure if it was a deliberate tactic on their part but we had so few attacking set pieces in the second half (I don’t even remember a corner) and that just nullified our chances of scoring.

Croatia’s fitness and/ or their readiness to dig in when they’re knackered is amazing. I’d quite like to see them win it, not that I dislike France particularly, I just like to see “new” teams win things, same way I’m always rooting for teams who’ve never played in the Premier League to get promoted.

I love to see the club names on the flags at England matches- Notts County, Luton, Leyton Orient, Solihull Moors(!) etc. Fits with my theory that for those of us who support terminally dire clubs, England games are that bit more important as it’s our only chance to see a team we can legitimately claim as ours compete at a prestigious level.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I love to see the club names on the flags at England matches- Notts County, Luton, Leyton Orient, Solihull Moors(!) etc. Fits with my theory that for those of us who support terminally dire clubs, England games are that bit more important as it’s our only chance to see a team we can legitimately claim as ours compete at a prestigious level.

I'm from Leicester, so even if England were to win the World Cup it would still only be the second most notable football event of my lifetime.

cheque

• forum hero
  • Hangdog millionaire
    • Cheque Pictures
Amazing final, the best I’ve seen in 28 years of watching them. Possibly the best World Cup altogether in fact.

France were lucky in the first half but imperious in the second. Worthy winners that I’m so glad England didn’t have to face. Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium, Croatia all beaten in 90 minutes.  :bow:

Apparently Thiago Silva and the hateful Neymar :wank: pick on Mbappé at PSG. That’s going to be a fun first day back at the training ground.   :lol:

I'm from Leicester, so even if England were to win the World Cup it would still only be the second most notable football event of my lifetime.

I like that, of the four semi-finalists, only Belgium lacked. Member of that title winning Leicester squad.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
What a great final and fitting finish to what’s been the best World Cup since ‘86 and ‘90.  W is French so we were rooting for the blues in our house yesterday.

I shall miss it - although I seem to drunk more than my fare share of beer in the last few weeks...

tc

• forum abuser
Le football est de retour à la maison  :)