UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1344193 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I reckon England have a decent chance today but not a prayer beyond that. It’s great to see an England side have a good a tournament but I think we’re getting carried away with the idea that we can win it.

:chair:

It's coming home.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Good game last night.  Brazil looked physically weaker, smaller and slower than the massive Belgians.  I think it was the match with most City players in too... Vincent Company really clobbered Gabriel Jesus in the 2nd half.

Looking forward to today.. QFs then off to see The Cure in Hyde Park...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I'm not sufficiently patriotic/not keen enough on drugs to watch a Sweden game. Sweden-England will be a excruciating snoozefest. Good luck to anyone who's watching.

mark20

• junky
Agree with Cheque, though not as confident England will win this one. Did we even have a shot on target against Columbia? All the possession but lacking those runs into the box and final touches. We need Lingard/Alli at the top of their game today to break through the Swedish defense. I predict an excruciating 1-1 and penalties ...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Agree with Cheque, though not as confident England will win this one. Did we even have a shot on target against Columbia? All the possession but lacking those runs into the box and final touches. We need Lingard/Alli at the top of their game today to break through the Swedish defense. I predict an excruciating 1-1 and penalties ...

No we didn’t - not a single shot on target from open play.  We also gave the ball away far to often in the second half.  Sweden aren’t going to generously gift us all those free kicks and a penalty that Colombia did either.  Let’s see eh!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Bloody hell - brilliant!!

tomtom

• forum hero
Had to be in work today for an open day... but did this to pass the spare time :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi0IHREAmjE&feature=youtu.be

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Ace 😀😀

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I spoke to Moose at the crag today. I said "is it coming home?".
He gave it odds of 10 to 1.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I was possibly being a little pessimistic... maybe 15%.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
So sorry guys.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Well at least we didn’t get carried away enough to create a shitload of hubristic memes...

Every time England have gone out of a major tournament since 1996 I’ve felt frustrated at the squad I some way- now I just feel proud of what a young and in some ways naïve team achieved and the way they (mostly) did it.

I don’t think anyone can argue with the result- we were so good and Croatia so flat in the first half but they really made us pay for not getting a second goal from halftime onwards. I’m not sure if it was a deliberate tactic on their part but we had so few attacking set pieces in the second half (I don’t even remember a corner) and that just nullified our chances of scoring.

Croatia’s fitness and/ or their readiness to dig in when they’re knackered is amazing. I’d quite like to see them win it, not that I dislike France particularly, I just like to see “new” teams win things, same way I’m always rooting for teams who’ve never played in the Premier League to get promoted.

I love to see the club names on the flags at England matches- Notts County, Luton, Leyton Orient, Solihull Moors(!) etc. Fits with my theory that for those of us who support terminally dire clubs, England games are that bit more important as it’s our only chance to see a team we can legitimately claim as ours compete at a prestigious level.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I love to see the club names on the flags at England matches- Notts County, Luton, Leyton Orient, Solihull Moors(!) etc. Fits with my theory that for those of us who support terminally dire clubs, England games are that bit more important as it’s our only chance to see a team we can legitimately claim as ours compete at a prestigious level.

I'm from Leicester, so even if England were to win the World Cup it would still only be the second most notable football event of my lifetime.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Amazing final, the best I’ve seen in 28 years of watching them. Possibly the best World Cup altogether in fact.

France were lucky in the first half but imperious in the second. Worthy winners that I’m so glad England didn’t have to face. Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium, Croatia all beaten in 90 minutes.  :bow:

Apparently Thiago Silva and the hateful Neymar :wank: pick on Mbappé at PSG. That’s going to be a fun first day back at the training ground.   :lol:

I'm from Leicester, so even if England were to win the World Cup it would still only be the second most notable football event of my lifetime.

I like that, of the four semi-finalists, only Belgium lacked. Member of that title winning Leicester squad.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
What a great final and fitting finish to what’s been the best World Cup since ‘86 and ‘90.  W is French so we were rooting for the blues in our house yesterday.

I shall miss it - although I seem to drunk more than my fare share of beer in the last few weeks...

tc

• junky
Le football est de retour à la maison  :)

mark20

• junky
Is there a UKB fantasy football league?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Is there a UKB fantasy football league?

I’ll set it up tonight.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
I have a team ready to go! Happy to do it if you haven't found time Mike?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Feel free Fatneck. Cheers man!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Code to join this league: 1176569-424926

I have imaginatively entitled it the UKB League.

Can anyone get less points than me this season?
Will Crouchy come out of retirement to take the win again?

Also, while I'm on, if you've got a team and are feeling generous, North Liverpool Foodbank (which I manage) have set up a fundraising league....

League Code - 795908-244944
Rules - http://www.standrewslive.org.uk/fsf-fantasy-football
Donate - https://mydonate.bt.com/events/fantasyfootballfsf/472185

mark20

• junky
#5621 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 06, 2018, 05:48:38 pm
Anyone been listening to That Peter Crouch Podcast ?
Some great and funny stories

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06kyljg/episodes/downloads

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#5622 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 07, 2018, 08:38:50 am
Yep Image, it's cool isn't it. His new book is supposed to be hilarious. Been listening to it at work along with Guard Football Weekly and James Richardson new thing.

We Came To Win is also good (US though)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5623 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 23, 2018, 09:13:14 am
So it’s Christmas, how’s everyone enjoyed the season so far? How are your teams doing at the (kind of) half way point?

Mighty mighty Mansfield have only lost one game so far  :o which, due to having drawn a  comical number of times, still leaves us three points outside of the automatic promotion places, albeit with two games in hand. 6-pointer against Bury on Boxing Day which I have a ticket for. :look:

I’ve been having an absolute shocker in the fantasy football recently after a pretty good start. They seriously need to change how it calculates scores for defenders- my man Wan-Bissaka had the game of his life yesterday. One measly point in fantasy world.  ::)

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#5624 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 23, 2018, 12:01:54 pm
Can Bradford City really have turned the corner???

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal