UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1353996 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Hero.  :bow:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Euro 96 penalty against Spain?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Oh yes.  ;D

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Can someone set up a false login as Stu pearce just so I can give him some waddage  ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Balls of steel to step up for that penalty after 1990. Terry Vegetables said Pearce was the first to step forward. I have never been so nervous about a penalty before or since!

Plattsy

• forum hero
(unlike there ever seems to be at Hillsborough any more).

Unfortunately you're right. I remember paying 4 or 5 quid (b or a category games) as a kid to stand on the kop and watch entertaining football. The atmosphere used to be good and you knew it was really good when the north stand joined in too. We used to get there early so we could stand behind a bar and sip white hot bovril and munch a suspect meat and potato pie. We knew full well we'd be temporarily crushed when we scored as those behind surged forward, and an early goal would usually mean getting soaked with hot tea as people hadn't had chance to finish theirs. But we wouldn't care because Hirsty had just hit a pile driver of a goal.

These days the kop is so much quieter. The football is more scrappy and less entertaining. The old quiet areas such as the west sides of the north and south stands are full of stone islanders who seem to watch the west stand more than they do the football. If only they had the same passion for supporting as they do for shit labels and trying to pick a fight with someone 50 yards away.

Bringing back the terraces would be great but I guess that'll never happen.

Best ground - Nou Camp, just awesome
Worst ground - Riverside, very quiet

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Goodison's the best ground, old and creaky, very dirty, throw in a few trilby's and some terrace's and your back in the fifties. Atmosphere is all right, especially when the Judas returns, my mate's a Moan U fan, and he said the walk to the ground was one of the scariest he's had in this country, really hope we don't move to a soulless, Tesco built shit hole. 

philo

• forum hero
a new well worked geordie video
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Brilliant.

It would appear that Beardsley's nephew is about to leave Newcastle although the Beeb don't say where he is gooing

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
His agent was on 5 live this avvi being very cryptic about the new club. Sounds like Liverpool are definately out of the running and that City and Chelsea are the leading contenders.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
City and Chelsea are the leading contenders.

Hmmm, Who are the two richest clubs in the UK (world?) again?  Apparently he won't go to Liverpool because of teh rivalry with ManU, but City's ok...

Liverpool could struggle if there's truth in the rumours that Alonso, Mascherano and Torres are on their way.  Here's hoping it happens.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Amen to that.

Dr T

• forum hero
Torres for £50 mill to Chelski???
will it happen??
just how broke are Liverpool???

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
The Torres deal is probably the least likely of the three to happen, he does seem happy there and is making all the right noises about staying.  £60m is a whole year's interest payments though.  Good stuff here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6543956.ece

Mascherano looks a done deal and Alonso clearly wants away.  Seems they face a stiff task signing anyone at the moment too with Chelsea and City's spending power, first Barry and now it looks like the Glen Johnson move might have been upstaged by Chelsea.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
As a Hammer, there is a little bit of me that is hoping that Tevez is coming back to the Boleyn...though I am well aware that there is more chance of England winning the next World Cup...

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Anyone been watching the Confederations thing on BBC 3. Brazil looked pretty good last night but not awesome, Italy were poor. Looks set up for a Brazil v Spain final, which could be great to watch.

Dr T

• forum hero
Anyone been watching the Confederations thing on BBC 3. Brazil looked pretty good last night but not awesome, Italy were poor. Looks set up for a Brazil v Spain final, which could be great to watch.
was a complete footie geek
Brazil Italy on the tele - USA Egypt on the laptop...
the second half of the second game perked up the limpness of the second half of the first
not sure myself if Brazil were really that good, think the rather aging (though admittedly Silva is no spring chicken and yes we should have offered more than a 1 year extension to keep him but that's another rant...) Italian squad made them look better than they really are
would agree that the real acid test will be how they play against Spain.
The sofa is certainly booked for that on..
Kinda funny to look back a few years to when the USA, and the Aussies, were a complete football (soccer) joke - times change....

Dr T

• forum hero
from the BBC rumour mill

"Claims have emerged in the Middle East that an Arab sheik has bought a 60% stake in a top English club. Portsmouth and Newcastle are among the leading clubs for sale."

surely some mistake - Newcastle... a top club  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Mention elsewehere that it's a premiership club, so not newcastle.

Hope rather than expectation on the birmingham boards that it's us.  David Sullivan owns about 60% and people are trying to work out where the cash for all our recent signings is coming from.  2+2=?

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
the second half of the second game perked up the limpness of the second half of the first

Nothing geekie about the telly and laptop scenario - I was doing the same  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero

Nothing geekie about the telly and laptop scenario - I was doing the same  ;)

Yup its football starvation season. My 5 times a day checking of the various websites for transfer news is starting to get a little tedious.. which makes me start thinking about other sports.

Wimbledonononononandon is starting and I guess I'll watch timmy Andy Murray this year - and hope he does well (the final last year was really good) and I'm looking forward to wasting most of my working days whilst the ashes are on listening to TMS  :)  I guess as this is balls to fiend thread (with football in brackets) its OK to chat about non footy ball sports.. in the absence of the premier league at the moment (sorry I cant resist - something you Newcastle fans'll have all year..)

Anyone else find the other sports on offer this time of year of interest starting to creep onto the same scale as footy? (theres only 7 weeks until the new season!!)
T

tomtom

• forum hero
ooooooo.... yellow... or is it lemon..?   ;)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Cricket is always high on the agenda even during the footie season.

How footie starved are you, did you resort to listening to the U21 game last night. I did for a bit but only while driving (van stereo does of course default to 5 Live)

tomtom

• forum hero
Cricket is always high on the agenda even during the footie season.

How footie starved are you, did you resort to listening to the U21 game last night. I did for a bit but only while driving (van stereo does of course default to 5 Live)

I caught the last 10 min on the way back from the crag.. sounded like a pretty grim game... as a HCFC support I am of course hoping that Fraizer Campbell does OK - but not so well that every other club in the world wants to sign him. Speaking of signings, the Hull press are going Michael Owen crazy at the moment.. I suspect he'll go somewhere more glamorous (wouldn't be hard!) but you never know....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal